Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Prius was in an accident and left undriveable. After it had been sitting in my driveway for about a month, I could not start it. One mechanic told me that the hybrid battery can be damaged if it is left uncharged for a long time. So I want to know if I have to figure in the cost of replacing it to the cost of the body work. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would check the Auxiliary battery before I would suspect the hybrid battery after 1 month. There's a constant drain on the small battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, the aux. battery is in the very very back right of the area the spare is in. Either take it out and charge it, or jump start it with some jumper cable. The aux. battery is what turns everything on when you push the "Start" button.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking at the cost of battery packs. Went to GreenTec and found they range from $1550 to $2,000. It that really going to be the cost, or can you replace cells, or can you even find a remanufactured battery pack if need be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When my vehicle create problem while driving I will go to the car garage and I also suggest you contact the car professional person when you face any problem related to car or your vehicle does not run use Roadside Assistance Services to reaching the car garage

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been looking at the cost of battery packs. Went to GreenTec and found they range from $1550 to $2,000. It that really going to be the cost, or can you replace cells, or can you even find a remanufactured battery pack if need be?
We had Greentech drive up from Dallas to central OK to install new hybrid batt for $1700 IIRC. Tech was fast efficient, and friendly. He did another Prius not far away and swapped another batt with a DIY owner. Our mileage perked right up.

Yes, groups off cells can be replaced at a great cost savings (sort of) but the old cells are not improved and are still old and more fail prone. A car under 5-7 years, then maybe a good idea. Ours is 15 years old so total change out is smarter as life expectancy is 12-15 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts