Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know why. Shot this pic out of my hotel window in Atlanta. There's enough fuel in the back of that truck to take my Prius home and back... twice.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Oh, that is scary. A rolling bomb, and nobody else on the road would even know it if this guy was tailgating or cutting them off. :shock:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know but it really irk's me when people are so f'n selfish.

I couldn't find any fuel on my drive home, so today, I had to drive my wife's Saturn to work because it had a full tank, while my Prius only had 3 pips.

Wherever this guy filled those cans, there were at least two cars that did not get any.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Perhaps the cans were empty, and he was just driving around burning gas looking for a place to fill them. :p

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We thought about that... But 5 of them are tied down, and 3 are not. Also, the guy fiddled with the rope a bit before I took the picture.

My wife waited on line, and filled my Prius... So we're set. I can only hope everyone else manages as quickly. 'cept for this guy, of course :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe he/she and the neighbors got together and drew straws as to who was gonna wait in line for gas and he was the unlucky one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maybe he needed that much gas to drive his H2 the 100 miles to get out of the way of the hurricane, or back home after.

·
Registered
110 Posts
GLOBAL WARMING

Few people in the media or government seem to be able to make the connection between global warming and the skewed weather patterns we've been experiencing. The 10 worst hurricanes in this century have happened in the last 15 years. Florida is about to experience the third very serious storm in less than a month. People are living in a kind of short term panic response mode; like an ants whose nest has just been upset but who have no idea why or how.
We managed to warm up the average temperatures in the Atlantic enough to provide the extra energy (heat) to make these annual storms much more violent than they have been in the past.
One of my co workers just returned from working on radio transmitters all over Alaska. In Barrow, the buildings are sinking because the perma frost is melting. Bethel, on the north west coast of Alaska had temperatures in the 80's. The Inuit are going nuts because the conditions are changing and the animals are disappearing.
Part of the "ethos" that many of us who bought Prii share, is a concern for the environmental impact of our energy use. When people ask me about my car and why I bought it, I try to emphasize the environmental aspect of the car rather than just focusing on the mileage. It's hard to not sound preachy or self-righteous, but I think we can help create a larger awareness of our impact on nature and the very real danger posed by global warming. Global Warming, as one writer commented, is a far greater threat than terrorism.
We are working to convert our house to solar. One of the guys who came over to give us an estimate showed us some neat magazines on the subject of being off the grid. He said that only five years ago, this magazine was more of a newsletter for aging "back to the earth" hippies and is now a slick mainstream publication. Solar panels have increased dramatically in efficiency and the price has continued to decline. In spite of our 19th century robber baron government, people at the grass root level are acting.
My sympathies are with the homeless in Florida; my hope is that these events will be a catalyst for further change and healing.
Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: GLOBAL WARMING

Bob Allen said:
. . . The 10 worst hurricanes in this century have happened in the last 15 years. . . .
Since this century is only 4 or 5 years old (depending on how you like to count) and there have been at least 10 hurricanes in that time, the above statement cannot possibly be false.

Oh, just ignore this post. :lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seem to remember hearing/reading that tropical storm patterns tend to be cyclical, and we're nearing the 'most active' part of the cycle.

I'd say it's possible global warming is making the storms worse, but it could just be that the f'n Chinese butterfly flapping it's wings that much harder.

Now that Ivan is on the way, I wonder if the Dodge driver is buying more gas cans for his next trip to Atlanta.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts