Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I won't be here to see it. They are saying that it will be as strong or stronger than Charley, but that this one is so big and with such a slow forward motion, that we could have 100+ MPH whinds for a whole 24 hours!

I'm loading up my Prius and heading for the mountains. See ya'll on the other side! Good luck and God bless!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm in Georgia writing this. I LOVE MY PRIUS!

After 15 hours of driving on stop-and-go freeways from Florida to Atlanta and many pit-stops for me, I was finally able to find a place to sleep.

My prius still had a quarter-tank of gas left! :D

Here's why I left Florida:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... aa_big.jpg

The hurricane has been downgraded since that photo was taken, thank God. A massive storm, indeed!

·
Registered
111 Posts
sigh of relief here

Here in SAvanah we were holding our collective breath for a while and now can let out that breath in a huge sigh of relief. My plan if we had to evacuate was to load up the Pri with my dogs and their food, bread and Peanut butter for me, and head out until I ran out of fuel. That could have been a 500 - 600 mile trip! Gotta love the hybrids!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hey BIF, we're in Atlanta now,... where are you?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
We're in Marietta until tomorrow when we're heading down to Jacksonville in the hope of heading down I-95 to Melbourne on Monday. If the damn storm would move that is

What do you think of the guidance system up here? needs some work, but it's a life saver eh?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had no problems with my guidance system. In fact, it helped me dodge some of the traffic jams on I-75 throughout Georgia.

I think I will stay here through Sunday night. Monday morning, I will take stock, and maybe migrate myself toward the coast.

·
Registered
248 Posts
BIF said:
I had no problems with my guidance system. In fact, it helped me dodge some of the traffic jams on I-75 throughout Georgia.

I think I will stay here through Sunday night. Monday morning, I will take stock, and maybe migrate myself toward the coast.
I have not tried the detour function. Did you use that. Could you enlarge on this?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not an official function.

You just get off the highway and start driving on a main non-highway road, and it will reroute you to another entrance to the highway.

Or you can do what Melgish said in another thread: plug in a destination and remove highways from your preferences.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When you hit the Route(?) button, you get a detour button on the left that takes you to a screen for you to select whether you what to detour around the next 1 mile, 3 miles, 5 miles, or the entire route. But unless you tell the nav system to remove highways, it may just reroute you to another highway.

And if you just drive off the selected route, the new route will guide you back depending on how close you are to your destination.

Hey Floridians, sorry to have to mention this, but Hurricane Ivan may get to Florida in a little over a week. I hope it fizzles out before then.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlsto ... large.html

Louie

P.S. Here's the projected path of Frances:
http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlsto ... large.html

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No more talk about Ivan! :x

No, really I'm just kidding. This may be the third-strike for a lot of people. I dunno. But not me; I love Florida.

Getting ready to head back down in the early morning or maybe during the day Tuesday. I'll keep an eye on it and decide later.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Makes me appreciate our winter blizzards. They can be deadly if you get stuck out in them, but they don't blow your house down. Dressed properly, you can walk out into them, and the only danger is getting lost, as visibility may be 2 or 3 feet, and your footprints are errased in less than a minute.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are many dangers associated with snow, Daniel. This is by no means a complete list, but here are a few reasons why I DIS-appreciate blizzards (and bitterly cold weather):

1 ) Frostbite.
2 ) Scraping windows.
3 ) Shovelling.
4 ) Sweating under all those clothes while shovelling, yet still freezing my a## off and getting frostbite in my booted feet and gloved fingers.
6 ) Reading about people having heart attacks while shovelling.
7 ) Salt-covered roads, and the horrible damage they do to cars.
8 ) Heavy snow causing roof collapses
9 ) Those icy-waves that form from slush and snow and water re-freezing at night, making it treacherous for people to walk like any animal not resembling a penguin.
10) Driving in icy, sleeting, freezing-rain weather.
11) Getting in an accident in icy, sleeting, freezing-rain weather.
12) The snow that was so white and pretty when it fell becomes surprisingly icky, black, sooty, filthy, and ugly in just a day or two.
13) Walking through that icky black snow and just knowing that it's car-filth that is getting all over my pants and inside my boots.
14) Broken sewers
15) Broken water pipes
16) dangerously huge icicles
17) slippery bridges
18 ) black ice and freezing rain
19) constant clouds from October through May
20) people who tease me about not liking snow

That's a good start. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you. Suffice it to say, I somehow associate that bitter cold with something desolate and lonely. Even though much of my family lives up North.

And after that list, yes, I would maybe one day consider moving up North. But it would really have to be a beneficial move in many other ways, because it will take an awful lot to make up for that evil white frozen stuff. :roll:

·
Registered
623 Posts
BIF said:
There are many dangers associated with snow, Daniel. This is by no means a complete list, but here are a few reasons why I DIS-appreciate blizzards (and bitterly cold weather):

1 ) Frostbite.
2 ) Scraping windows.
3 ) Shovelling.
4 ) Sweating under all those clothes while shovelling, yet still freezing my a## off and getting frostbite in my booted feet and gloved fingers.
6 ) Reading about people having heart attacks while shovelling.
7 ) Salt-covered roads, and the horrible damage they do to cars.
8 ) Heavy snow causing roof collapses
9 ) Those icy-waves that form from slush and snow and water re-freezing at night, making it treacherous for people to walk like any animal not resembling a penguin.
10) Driving in icy, sleeting, freezing-rain weather.
11) Getting in an accident in icy, sleeting, freezing-rain weather.
12) The snow that was so white and pretty when it fell becomes surprisingly icky, black, sooty, filthy, and ugly in just a day or two.
13) Walking through that icky black snow and just knowing that it's car-filth that is getting all over my pants and inside my boots.
14) Broken sewers
15) Broken water pipes
16) dangerously huge icicles
17) slippery bridges
18 ) black ice and freezing rain
19) constant clouds from October through May
20) people who tease me about not liking snow

That's a good start. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you. Suffice it to say, I somehow associate that bitter cold with something desolate and lonely. Even though much of my family lives up North.

And after that list, yes, I would maybe one day consider moving up North. But it would really have to be a beneficial move in many other ways, because it will take an awful lot to make up for that evil white frozen stuff. :roll:
Ha, ha, ha. Good one, BIF.

Of course, most of the items on your list are inconveniences rather than dangers, and many of the dangers are not so dangerous if you take the proper precautions. Dressing properly prevents frostbite; resting while shovelling, or paying someone else to shovel prevents exercise-induced heart attack. I have never, ever, heard of a roof collapsing in Fargo due to snow. We just don't get large accumulations, and the wind piles it up in drifts on the ground, not on roofs.

We do get sunny days in winter, and they are beautiful, but I will grant you that winter can become dreary.

The real dangers are ice (whether driving on it or walking on it) and driving during a snowstorm, when visibility is bad. Those are the things I hate about Fargo: ice and driving in poor visibility.

On the other hand, I have visited Cuba, which I presume has the same climate as Florida, and the constant humidity was suffocating and made me feel constantly grimy.

But the real point of my post was to compare blizzards with hurricanes. With a hurricane, you board up your house, pack up your pets and belongings, and flee the city, crossing your fingers that your house is not a wreck when you return. With a blizzard you buy an extra loaf of bread and an extra couple of cans of beans and a couple of fresh batteries for your flashlight just in case (you probably won't even need the batteries) and you stay home from work for a day or two. And there's always people eager to make a few bucks shovelling out your driveway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts