Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurricane got my Prius.

Well, technically, hurricane got the trees, who took it out on my Prius, who was innocently parked nearby.

Door.

Roof.

Maybe other places that I haven't noticed yet.

It's all minor, very slight and cosmetic damage. No broken glass. Just a few small dents and light scratches. I'm debating whether I should call my insurance company, or just get an estimate for fixing it. What do y'all think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If it was parked at your home, and other damage was done to your home or property, have your home insurance cover it. (That way you'll only pay one deductible.) If the TREE was damaged to the point that it needs to come down, your home insurance should cover that.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why not do both... Get the estimate first, and if it's significantly more than your deductible, call your insurance company. Otherwise why bother.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most insurance policies do not cover storm damage to trees, or pay for these trees to be removed. I know this because Isabel knocked over the only tree I owned last summer. Luckily? it fell on power and phone lines so those people cut it up ans hauled it away. I still ahve the uprooted stump as a memento.

Good luck getting the repairs done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saruman said:
Most insurance policies do not cover storm damage to trees, or pay for these trees to be removed. I know this because Isabel knocked over the only tree I owned last summer. Luckily? it fell on power and phone lines so those people cut it up ans hauled it away. I still ahve the uprooted stump as a memento.

Good luck getting the repairs done.
This may depend on the circumstances. If the tree must be removed to allow repairs or is now a hazard to insured property, the insurance may well cover the removal.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, folks.

I should have clarified that the fallen trees and tree parts were lying next to the car, completely separated from said trees. Hence, my insurance question was only pertaining to the dents in the car. My fault for not being clear in my original post.

I shall get an estimate this week, time permitting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you're definitely having it fixed anyway, I'd start with an estimate; might want to consider whether to submit it to insurance based on the estimate vs. deductible.

Hurricane (but not Prius) related, we're only missing a small piece of about 14-16 shingles on our roof. I'm likely to hire someone to do the work, but not submit it (probably way under the hurricane deductible anyway).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts