Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D As I was exiting my Prius at the gas pump a Hummer pulled up behind me. While I intended to fill up my baby a wicked thought came into my head. I pumped in just over 1 gallon, paid for it, smiled and waved to the Hummer driver as I got back into my car. I can just imagine what must have been going through his mind as he contemplated my being able to “fill up” in less than a minute!

I drove down the street and completed my fill up wondering if he caught on to my ruse.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
He pulled in to the gas station just behind you, too, but only because he drained the underground tank at the first station! still needed more. ;)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
A couple of months ago I was on the westside of the state visiting friends. I pulled into the busiest Costco filling station I had ever seen. I must have waited 20 minutes to fill up. I wondered at that time if the wait was worth it because I really needed to get on the road, and they were only a few pennies cheeper than the other stations around there. But anyway, I got up to the pump with a jacked up GMC. I did a regular fill, in just a couple of minutes and pulled away, long before mr. GMC left. There is a certain satisfaction to that kind of experience.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I used to wait in line at Costco behind the SUV's and RV's, and I can't blame them for wanting to get the most for their money. However, I no longer buy gas at Costco for a different reason. Try going to http://www.toptiergas.com, and you'll find the reason I switched. Toyota is one of the manufacturers who recommends gasoline that meets a new standard of detergent capability. I figured a few cents more per gallon would cost a heck of a lot less than valve or injection repairs.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hummer

Sorry, I discovered after I posted it that the link didn't work; said the page was unavailable. You can get it by typing in the same address, at least it worked a couple of times for me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Roger V said:
I used to wait in line at Costco behind the SUV's and RV's, and I can't blame them for wanting to get the most for their money. However, I no longer buy gas at Costco for a different reason. Try going to http://www.toptiergas.com, and you'll find the reason I switched. Toyota is one of the manufacturers who recommends gasoline that meets a new standard of detergent capability. I figured a few cents more per gallon would cost a heck of a lot less than valve or injection repairs.
An interesting item. Thanks. Had not heard of it. I usually like to see what someone like Consumer Reports says on something like this before I draw a conclusion.

Do you sometime wonder if the whole world could come tumbling down due to a misplaced comma ??
Am I the only one who thinks this way?? or do I need to increase my medication again. :wink:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hummer

Sorry, to all who couldn't get the link to work. I am still a novice at the computer, and didn't know that it was going to automatically make a link when I typed in the address. In fact, as I was doing it, I thought to myself that I would look stupid because I didn't put it in the message as a link. Wouldn't my grade school teachers be proud to know that I was using a comma where it was needed in the days before computers?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The closest gas station on that retailer list is a Shell station that is 30 miles round-trip from my home. Do you think filling up at a station like Mobil would have a long-term negative effect on the car? I'm skeptical of the website only because of the lack of content.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Top Tier gas

Roger V,

California standards are tougher than the Feds'. According to AAA, all the gas sold in California is virtually the same.

Jan

G

·
I tried Shell and actually got lower mileage. I've use cheap gas stations for years and never have a problem. Even Mobil is not listed on that site which is kind of odd. They've been adding detergent to their gas for years. If you're very concerned, they do sell fuel injection cleaner at auto stores. Otherwise, I'd rather save $0.10 a gallon or more.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here is copy of email I just sent to Toyota regarding Top Tier gas. I will post any reply:

Here is a website http://www.toptiergas.com/ that says Toyota is endorsing a new standard, along with other auto manufacturers, for gasoline, called "Top Tier" gas. They also list a very limited number of locations/brands that sell this new gasoline formulation.

What is Toyota's position on using this gas to maintain proper care of our Toyota vehicles ? I have a 2004 Prius.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here is reply I got from Toyota, re: my question on top tier gas:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.
Toyota recommends using fuel with a minimum octane rating of 87 in your Prius. Toyota does not have announced plans to change the minimum fuel requirements for the Prius. You may choose to use high quality fuels to improve vehicle performance, reduce emissions and improve air quality, but it is not required."

·
Registered
92 Posts
As far as I can tell "Top Tier" only applies to their premium grade fuel. If anyone can point me to evidence otherwise I would appreciate it. I'm not willing to pay 10 cents a gallon extra for it when the extra octane may not even be good for the car.

·
Registered
736 Posts
OverTork said:
As far as I can tell "Top Tier" only applies to their premium grade fuel. If anyone can point me to evidence otherwise I would appreciate it. I'm not willing to pay 10 cents a gallon extra for it when the extra octane may not even be good for the car.
If you go to the website http://www.toptiergas.com and click on the heading for retailers, the first paragraph explains that retailers are required to offer the higher detergent levels in all grades of gas that they sell.

·
Registered
736 Posts
An04Prius said:
Here is reply I got from Toyota, re: my question on top tier gas:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.
Toyota recommends using fuel with a minimum octane rating of 87 in your Prius. Toyota does not have announced plans to change the minimum fuel requirements for the Prius. You may choose to use high quality fuels to improve vehicle performance, reduce emissions and improve air quality, but it is not required."
For anyone who claims to have bought a Prius for environmental reasons, this ought to be a no-brainer, eh?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts