Toyota Prius Forum banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: ipod interface

marlowe7 said:
Here's a really basic question about the unit being discussed. When I play my ipod through my current setup (cassette adaptor), there is an awful lot of hiss—especially at high volumes. Does this hiss disappear with the VAISTECH gizmo? I'm assuming at least SOME of the hiss is from the fake cassette turning inside the cassette deck.

Thanks,

marlowe
I don't have an iPod yet, but with my Creative MP3 player there is no noise. Some versions of the iPod have hard drive noise (4G?) and that it is audible through the Vais. Also some have said they have ground loop noise and have had to use a ground loop isolator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
kente777 said:
Do you have to have the Nav system for the SLI to work? I'm getting a 2006 package 2.

Thanks.

Ken
No, but 2006 has a different options - MP3 playing and Aux plugin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have read and downloaded in pdf format, all the video
mods, and audio adaptors work with the standard radio, the jbl enhanced
radio, and cars with or without the Nav system. A limitation on some units may be, or not, if there is an add on cd or md player which takes
up the socket on the rear of the radio, but even then, there is a piggy back cable, and the communication
between the devices and the radio allow one to cycle through two add-on devices. I am looking for the radio manufacturer of the standard one disk player radio. Most diagrams are block diagrams, they show connectors and device names, but no pin outs whereby this technology can be studied. One possible solution is to request the audio and video cable
from toyota which is going to be standard on the 2006. At least for video
this would allow some sort of user installed back up camera, and a switch to allow a dvd player input on the same cable. But, right now, I would like to know more about the audio adaptor advertized on the Terk XM page at Crutchfield.com. It is called an intelligent adaptor. I assume it may be a solution much cheaper than some of the others. The manufacturer possibly has developed a circuit that learns the commands from the radio and therefore can be manufactured universally compliant and ordered with a specific adaptor connector. I could see where this would be cheaper than having a product line of seperate adaptors, and could be marketed to sell for less. 50.00 would be a good target price, but under
100.00 with the connector would also make me jump for it right now.
Not ready till 2006 the ad says.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: VAIS-100 playlist

gwydion said:
When the ipod is hooked up - do you see the names of playlists in the selection screen, or are they just numbers and you have to know the number of the playlist you want?
And (if I understand the screenshots I've seen), when the playlist is playing, the name of the playlist is the "CD" and the artist is the "song"?
Or do you actually get to see the song title that's playing?

Also, the VAIS website says the 100i is unavailable, but does show a SoundLinQ (SLI) for the ipod. Has that replaced the 100i? Does it do the same thing(s)?
You can see some pics of the AIC-100i here:
http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRad ... bum23.html

The SLI has replaced the AIC-100i. It is smaller and has a ground
loop isolator built-in.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: ipod interface

marlowe7 said:
Here's a really basic question about the unit being discussed. When I play my ipod through my current setup (cassette adaptor), there is an awful lot of hiss—especially at high volumes. Does this hiss disappear with the VAISTECH gizmo? I'm assuming at least SOME of the hiss is from the fake cassette turning inside the cassette deck.

Thanks,

marlowe
Try turning down the line out volume on the iPod, and turning up the volume of the Prius' audio system, to remove the hiss.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
castlecain said:
Thanks for the information.
PriusXM.com does not sell the adaptor by itself, and no information is available on their website it seems, about the one they package with
the XM tuner.
Both the PriusXM and CoastalETech XM units are just the integrated Toyota XM units, repackaged with Prius-specific installation instructions and maybe a few other extras.

http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm
price on Nov. 17 2005: $299 with instructions, $349 with installation
(price includes free activation and 6 months service)

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/PriusXM/
(formerly http://www.priusxm.com/ )
price on Nov. 17 2005: $295 with instructions, $395 with installation, $39 for instruction DVD only (no tuner)

one known Prius-friendly Toyota dealer has posted the installation instructions for the Toyota XM kit, and is offering it for sale here:
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... ortIndex=5
price on Nov. 17 2005: $250
price includes free activation and 90 days of free XM service

your favorite Toyota parts department: ask for the Solara XM radio kit, part number PT546-06040

The problem isn't just the pinouts, but the correct response for the Prius' LAN for on-screen controls.

·
Registered
215 Posts
re: installation

Another basic question: Once the whole thing is installed, how easy is it to get the ipod out—and then back in? I use my ipod indoors and as a portable unit, and want to be certain that I won't have to wrestle to attach/unattach to Prius.

Also, after looking at scubadiver's link to instructions, I'm a little intimidated. Some of us are not mechanically/electronically inclined. It's a little daunting to be yanking out clusters of wires, etc.

Is this really doable for those who aren't particularly handy?

Thanks!

marlowe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: re: installation

marlowe7 said:
Another basic question: Once the whole thing is installed, how easy is it to get the ipod out—and then back in? I use my ipod indoors and as a portable unit, and want to be certain that I won't have to wrestle to attach/unattach to Prius.

Also, after looking at scubadiver's link to instructions, I'm a little intimidated. Some of us are not mechanically/electronically inclined. It's a little daunting to be yanking out clusters of wires, etc.

It is very easy. The Vais connects to the doc on the iPod and has a connection similar the one that apple supplies. I leave my iPod in my glove compartment and take it in every night to update my podcasts.
You can see pictures of my AIC-100i:
http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRad ... bum23.html

I'm sure any car radio installation shop would do the install for you.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: re: installation

marlowe7 said:

Thanks!

marlowe
I had been hesitant to install my AIC (that I received back in October). Well yesterday, I gathered all my courage and my screwdriver and did it. I know nothing about cars and am not at all mechanically inclined. It probably took me longer that a more mechanically inclined person- but I was successfull on the first try. The pdf with the illustrated directions are fantastic and it really isn't that hard to do. Trust me- if I can do it, anybody can! I'm sure that you could pay an audio shop to install it- but it really isn't hard to do yourself.

Christy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vais in dash

Has anyone hooked up their Vais so that the cable runs into the dash compartment under the radio (the part with the transparent door)?
I think it would be easier to hook up the ipod there vs. the glove box.
It would entail putting a hole in the back of the compartment - but I wonder if there's enough room behind it to run the cable in.
Would I have to take the entire compartment out to do this?

Alternately, has anyone run the cable under the carpet to the slide out drawer at the bottom of the arm rest?
I like to drop the ipod in the dock (easier in and out), and the only place to really put the dock is in that drawer...

TIA for any info!

161 - 170 of 170 Posts