Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty excited about the video input kit that CoastalETech is going to be offering. So aside from the using it with a rear view camera or DVD player, I'm interested in what else folks might want to use it for.

I'm thinking I might use it with a wireless X10 camera mounted in my garage so that I can see how close I'm parking my car no matter if I head in or back in to either the left or right side of the garage.

Even more ambitious would be to try for an infrared system to see farther at night. Talk about driving in stealth!

Louie

P.S. Driving around with a DVD playing in view of the driver may be illegal in your area. Please drive responsibly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If the wireless camera does not work out, you could mount two cameras on the car, front and back, which would have the added advantage of helping you to parallel park.

My mother uses an elegant low-tech method for her garage. The garage has just inches to spare, front-to-back, for her Honda Accord. So she's got a tennis ball, suspended from the roof by a string, so that when the ball just touches the windshield she is positioned correctly.

I don't have many opportunities to parallel park, but in 6 months I think I've gotten pretty good at learning where the limits of my car are. Still, front and rear cameras would help for the very rare tight spot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
video input...

Watching Seinfeld (while stopped of course), and listening to MP3s. I really miss having an MP3 player! Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Infrared Systems

>Even more ambitious would be to try for an infrared system
>to see farther at night. Talk about driving in stealth!

You could go with a visual IR system. There are lots of cameras that are
visual IR sensitive. Then you could add IR spotlights, bright as you like,
wouldn't bother anyone. You'd keep a pair of regular headlights on the
car to keep it legal and so other people could see you and in case the
camera dies.

Thermal IR is more expensive. Raytheon makes something called the
"NightDriver System". It costs around $3,000 US and will retrofit to
most any car.

With either kind, if you are using it for driving down the road you have to
think about how to display the image. The Nightdriver system is available
with a heads up display. It looks like it will fit nicely onto the dash of my
Pri.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Daniel said:
she's got a tennis ball, suspended from the roof by a string, so that when the ball just touches the windshield she is positioned correctly.
We've got the same setup here; my wife got the idea from her dad, who does the same thing. :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
TechnoMage said:
Daniel said:
she's got a tennis ball, suspended from the roof by a string, so that when the ball just touches the windshield she is positioned correctly.
We've got the same setup here; my wife got the idea from her dad, who does the same thing. :)
My grandfather uses a golf ball. When my wife and I have a garage built, it's going to be long enough that we don't have to deal with such nonsense. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does anyone know how this thing will work? How do you go from the cars normal screens to a dvd or camera screen? I would want something that would be easy to switch back and for from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Video backup camera

LouieNet,

I'm planning on using the backup camera feature and at least using the 2nd set of inputs (A/V) to hook up a CD or DVD player to play MP3/WMA files and allow me to further plug in a portable player if I like.

I was originally thinking of using it for DVDs as well, but I'm pretty sure that video is slightly distorted as Dave is stretching the display to fill the entire screen, and that just won't do for me (for watching video). I have a post in the thread you mentioned at the top asking Dave about this, but as he's on the road due to the Hurricane, I'm guessing he won't reply until at least next week. Hopefully when he returns to his shop everything will still be intact!

CaPriusLover,

For some more details on how this works, see the reference LouieNet posted at the top, which *I think* will answer your questions. Here's the link again:

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=2263

[email protected]

·
Registered
623 Posts
CaPriusLover: Since Dave will not be around until after the hurricane, I'll chime in and say I get the impression that it could be set up so that it automatically switches to the rear-view camera any time you shift to reverse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Daniel said:
CaPriusLover: Since Dave will not be around until after the hurricane, I'll chime in and say I get the impression that it could be set up so that it automatically switches to the rear-view camera any time you shift to reverse.

I think the easiest way would be to have it switch automatically to any live connection. So if you want to watch DVD then turn the DVD on and the system switches to the video input. If you want to use parking camera, wire it to the reverse lights and it will power up when you put it in R. Then it should go back to normal Prius screen after you turn the devices off.

At that point one input would have to have priority over anther. So say your Camera in in 1 and DVD in 2. Well if someone was watching a DVD and you put it in reverse, then input one should take over.

To me, this just makes the most since. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who needs it?

Why would anyone need a DVD player in a car (unless it is in the back seat for the passengers)? Are you really that bored while driving that you need to be watching DVD's while you run your car into oncoming traffic? By far the stupidest idea ever.

Don't you have a TV at home?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Who needs it?

Fire Elemental said:
Why would anyone need a DVD player in a car (unless it is in the back seat for the passengers)?
I don't think any of us as drivers actually need a DVD player in the car. Part of it is the cool factor: the latest in consumer video technology inside the latest in consumer automobile techology.

Louie

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Pipe Dream

How about wide-angle cameras mounted fore and aft, hooked to DVD recorder, with automagic upload to Fox for inclusion in their next 'when good drivers go bad' video.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts