Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having compared the nearly identical nav systems in the Lexus Rx400h and the Prius, I've noticed one huge difference. On the Lexus, the female voice giving me directions is crystal clear. On the Prius it's very muddy, apparently because it's only coming from the large door speaker on the driver's side. This problem gets much worse as road noise increases, and clearly it should use the tweeter next to the left side view mirror as well - just as on the Lexus.

Is this a bug, a feature (if so, grrrr...) or something we can correct in the service mode? If so, HOW?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm with you on this one. The ear on my left foot doesn't hear so good anymore.

It should be higher and on the column or dash. Why the floor eludes me. Good for earth-shaking bass, but that's about it. Might be better on the right door but I doubt it.

Lexus gets the gold star on that one.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
G. McCurdy said:
I'm with you on this one. The ear on my left foot doesn't hear so good anymore.

It should be higher and on the column or dash. Why the floor eludes me. Good for earth-shaking bass, but that's about it. Might be better on the right door but I doubt it.

Lexus gets the gold star on that one.
I'm sorry....I'm still laughing at that one. Thank you!

And yes, I agree with this complaint.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I upgraded the door speakers to two way Polk ones. Not only better bass, but the tweeter in there has made the Nav Lady easier to hear.

BUT, if I was to design this car, the center (mostly pointless) speaker would have been used only for the Nav Lady.

IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Polk Audio DB650
Couldn't find that one at Crutchfield.com

I did find a Polk db6750 6 3/4" speaker for $219.99 per pair on their site which says it fits a Prius using same mounting brackets and speaker grills. Is that the one? Did you also install the baffle and Dynamat as well?

I don't know how hard they are to get at to install, but getting the NAV's voice up a bit in treble may help. Looks like they have a couple of special door panel removal tools in their "Get everything you need" section. Dynamat sure seems expensive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts