Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave the half-breed a well-deserved, and much-needed bath yesterday, and in so doing discovered some splattered paint droplets on the drivers side mirror and front quarter-panel. I also discovered a nail firmly embedded in the tire on that side, but i don't think this has anything to do with the paint splatters.

The paint looks suspiciously similar to the color used on the recently painted support pillars in the parking garrage at work.

What can I use to remove the beige paint, w/o damaging the Seaside Pearl finish :?:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I used paint thinner on mine when I ran over a can of paint (oil based) on the highway. It worked fine and didn't hurt the finish.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
keep an eye on the air pressure in that tire with the nail in it. I'd suggest getting it repaired ASAP, and don't forget to file for the Road Hazard Warranty that comes with the US Prius' 3 years/36,000 miles of Toyota Roadside Assistance.

(The one flat I've ever had was last year on my 2001 - ran over a nail. Apparently I picked it up the night before driving around doing errands, and overnight the tire slowly ran down. In the morning on my way to work, the car felt sluggish, and was pulling to a side (I thought that I had accumulated snow/slush in the wheel well), so after about 3 miles I pulled into a service station to kick out the snow, and found the tire to be flat. I put some air in, and the tire took the air, but was hissing at me, so I was able to drive about a block to the Toyota dealer and they had me patched within the hour. I got the reimbursement check ($16) about 2-3 months later.)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, and the warning.

Actually, the tire was holding air quite well... It didnt' lose any overnight, nor during my work day.

Nevertheless, I got it fixed (along with my regular service) at about 6:00 tonight.

If the building management won't pay for a professional to clean the paint, I may have to resort to paint thinner. (If I don't chicken out and pay the pros myself)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh man!

Oh man, MRV,

Do you mean that, when I did my 5000 oil changed in Dec 03 and noticed a chunk out of the tire from ...ahem...somebody driving it into a curb, I could have had the tire replaced under the hazard warranty?

It's one thing for me not to have the presence of mind to think of it, but it's quite another for the Toyota service writer to charge me for a tire....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isabelle,

Funny you should mention that, as the clerk was filling out the paperwork yesterday, I had to remind her that "all Prii come with road hazard"...

At first she wasn't going to believe me, and double check...until I pointed to the computer where it showed my service history, and clearly the words "ROAD HAZARD" in nice friendly letters. (this nail problem, being my second nail problem)

You should call them up and ask for a refund...The worst they can say is no, and if you yell alot, they may give in just to get you off the phone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i ran over a paint can or something on another car of mine and removed it with goof off 2. i dont recommend the full strength regular goof off cuz it is powerful stuff and probably will eat its way out the other side of your car!!!. goof off 2 is water based does a safer job.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just an aside on flat repair. Many shops just "shoot" a plug into the hole after pulling the nail. This is an invitation to later, perhaps catastrophic, failure. Many radials have steel belts under the tread (polyester on the side), and if the nail punctures through the belt, the plug will stop air leaks, but leave the inner surface breached. Moisture in the air used to fill the tire (especially in winter) will condense and rust the steel belt over time. This will break the bond between steel and rubber, and you get a bubble, or tread separation. This can cause a blowout at freeway speeds.

The proper way is to only use a plug for LARGE holes, then grind it down flush on the inside. Then (plug or no), apply an old-fashioned tube patch on the inside of the tire, and let it fully cure before inflating the tire again. This 1-2 hour process is not as convenient as the 5-minute "plug gun while in the driveway" approach, but it's better for the tire, and for your safety. Reputable tire stores will not fix a tire any other way.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it didn't take 2 hours to fix my tire, though it sure seemed like it :) So I guess we know what category Toy of M is when it comes to fixing tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
melgish said:
I gave the half-breed a well-deserved, and much-needed bath yesterday, and in so doing discovered some splattered paint droplets on the drivers side mirror and front quarter-panel. I also discovered a nail firmly embedded in the tire on that side, but i don't think this has anything to do with the paint splatters.

The paint looks suspiciously similar to the color used on the recently painted support pillars in the parking garrage at work.

What can I use to remove the beige paint, w/o damaging the Seaside Pearl finish :?:
Same thing happened to me with my 2000 Saturn LS1. I happened to have it in for body work after a employee of my company tried to park a van in front of my car and tore off my front bumper. The body shop manager noticed a splot of paint on my side mirror which was from the apartment building being painted. He took it off with paint thinner, had no ill effect on the actual finish of the car body itself.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Depending on how many "spatters" you are talking about, one of the safest ways to remove the specks without damaging surface coatings on eyeglasses is very low tech. Pick them off with your fingernails.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Speaking of paint...

I'm going to request that my dealer remove any kind of 'free advertising' from the vehicle before I leave...In the event that they refuse, what could I use to safely remove their logo from the Prius?

·
Registered
94 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If it's the vinyl lettering, use fingernails and goo-gone.
I can only hope that it will be that easy, Dan...NOTHING in the process of buying this car has been easy! :?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Thomas Brock said:
Speaking of paint...

I'm going to request that my dealer remove any kind of 'free advertising' from the vehicle before I leave...In the event that they refuse, what could I use to safely remove their logo from the Prius?
I have never had a dealer refuse to remove their decal from a car I bought. I usually tell them up front that I do not want a decal/sticker on the car. If I see it when I pick up the vehicle, I always ask that they remove it. They always do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
firepa63 said:
I have never had a dealer refuse to remove their decal from a car I bought. I usually tell them up front that I do not want a decal/sticker on the car. If I see it when I pick up the vehicle, I always ask that they remove it. They always do.
Cool. I've never bought a new car, so I don't have these great experiences...And my experience with this particular dealer has been pretty ... lackluster ... so far.

It'll all be over soon, though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts