Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the directions and even links to directions for getting best FE using P and G in the Generation II (I guess that covers a 2006). Are they the same directions for a 2002 sedan-shaped Prius? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i can't leave a question unanswered... so I'll give it a shot considering I only test drove each gen once. (minus the japanese model)

I assume the instructions I've given are the same for both models.

Accelerate to 40 mph, let off the the accelerator pedal and then listen to the engine shut off. When you get the hang of it, this only lasts for a fraction of a second so you don't have to let off the pedal for too long (since regen is kicking in, eating up your coasting distance!). So making sure your good at bobbing your eyes up and down between the windshield and the hybrid screen. As you press the pedal you will see from regen to battery assist or the famous EV mode. Now just push a little more and then you will notice that assist arrow dissapears and there are no arrows (grey square lines to all hybrid components) now the prius is in coasting mode or deadband or feelwheeling mode anything to describe that the prius is only moving on its own momentum and the battery gives the littlest amount of amps possible to allow you to break this cycle if you were to lose that position of the accelerator pedal for that given moment.

Now what I do not know is... does that position of the pedal changes as speed decreases? If your not careful you'd be swinging back and forth between regen, EV assist and then turning on the engine in combined with the electric motor.

When you get comfortable with getting into coasting mode without relying on the hybrid screen, then you'll learn how to pulse, good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The "deadband" or no arrow flow on the Energy Monitor is a rarity in the Classic Prius, so the pulse and glide technique as usually listed for the NHW20 Prius isn't quite so easy to follow. But you can still do the making little hills for yourself, and coast a lot, but typically regen will almost always kick in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mrv said:
The "deadband" or no arrow flow on the Energy Monitor is a rarity in the Classic Prius, so the pulse and glide technique as usually listed for the NHW20 Prius isn't quite so easy to follow. But you can still do the making little hills for yourself, and coast a lot, but typically regen will almost always kick in.
after owning a 03 classic for 3 weeks i have to disagree, coasting is easy as you practice it. Of course one can always cheat and flick the shifter to N just... don't exceed 42 mph(68km/h) when the engine is off or bad **** is going down!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.