Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a lead on a used 2005..........#6
However...I've got no pricing reference (other than the MSRP of new).

Lil help!

Thanks
hb in SoCalif :D

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
depends on location. in areas where the Prius still has several months of backlogged orders, a used 2004-2005 Prius is selling for new MSRP or higher because it is available with no wait.

I would at least argue a lower price because you cannot take the US federal income tax deduction, and most likely a state deduction/credit if available, because such incentives are only on NEW vehicles.

all warranties should transfer over, but obviously you'll be missing out on some of the in-service time/mileage on the used vehicle, so that would be another arguing point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
To be honest it is a matter of how bad you want it, how good of condition is it in, what options, etc. I would take the MSRP then start subtracting from there (mileage, options you did not want or want but does not have, etc). Then if you both can live with the price you will be a new owner. If not then it is probably better for you to just order new and wait. Being a 2005 I do not see it having more than 5k miles on it. I would also have it taken to the local Toyota dealer with certified techs and get it checked out.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
bshef said:
I've got a lead on a used 2005..........#6
However...I've got no pricing reference (other than the MSRP of new).

Lil help!

Thanks
hb in SoCalif :D
If you can be more specific as to what package
any stand alone options included and mile for that 05 Prius. I can help you
get some pricing if I had the vehicle for sale in my dealership.
Located: in the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area, Northern
California.__________________________________________

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent responses.......
Good points to use for negotiations.....
Here's the details.....
Orange County, CA
- White (don't like the color)
-#6 (full options)
-Miles = 5k
-asking 26.9k
-no accidents!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
bshef said:
Excellent responses.......
Good points to use for negotiations.....
Here's the details.....
Orange County, CA
- White (don't like the color)
-#6 (full options)
-Miles = 5k
-asking 26.9k
-no accidents!
Good, My "Used Car Manager" says he will pay 05 BC packaged prius
new car invoice at $24.300 and he will offer for sale at $25.9995
also you can get a Brand New BC in stock Salsa,Tideland,Silver
at $27.000 and has the: BC,V2,Z1,Wl,EF... just for reference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Assuming you can get package #6 for $27k new (what I paid for mine), you will get no hybrid rebate (prob be about $325 depending on your tax bracket), do not like the color, and 5k miles on it I would offer $25k. Unless he has the 100k warranty also then I would offer $26K, but only after an all points deal check.

Then again how bad do you want the vehicle and is $100 savings worth getting the used vehicle?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm in OC too. I don't believe that there's any wait for a new Prius. Dianne (Carson) says she's got a bunch. Corona, RSM and Symes probably have cars on the lot right now.

When you factor in the tax deduction, it just doesn't make sense to buy used (especially a color you don't like) unless you're getting a whale of a deal.

DGStan

·
Registered
154 Posts
John Baker said:
I paid less than that for my Prius last weekend in Victorville, and I got the color she wanted!
I paid 41000 euro (~50000 USD) for my Prius (last week, Finland). Cars are so cheap in the States :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts