Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body know how to inprove the MPG other then no A/C Tire air, drive slower.

I Heard some where that there is a place that can increase your MPG, I'm currenty at about 50 MPG mostly freeway (80 miles round trip). I have about 1100 miles on the car

·
Registered
319 Posts
1) Attach a harpoon gun and winch to your front bumber.

2) Using about 20 feet of high-tension cable, harpoon a tractor trailer.

3) Leaving the engine on and in gear (keeps drivetrain ready to go and thinking it's going downhill), be pulled along just behind the trailer, paying close attention to the brake lights. Stay just far enough back (via winch) so the truck driver can't see the cable. Avoid tugging on the cable: it's a dead-giveaway.

4) Disconnect as needed. Long trips may require a stop for more cable.

With practice, you should see huge increases in MPG. Far beyond any tricks that you could do without being towed, like almost constant use of cruise control...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't think the A/C has much impact on your mileage. Driving sensibly, rather than aggressively, usually leads to better MPG. Also try to avoid short trips. You'll notice that the first 5 minutes of driving yields the lowest MPG.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Do a search. This is a much-discussed topic. I've come to the conclusion that the best thing one can do is live somewhere very flat...

·
Registered
115 Posts
The A/C did not affect my mileage much. Just did a 1060 mile trip. First tank going 60 mph I got 60mpg, next tank 75 mph got 55 mpg, and last tank going 70 mph got 57 mpg. I used the A/C and cruise control the whole way on the highway. The first and last tanks had about 20% city driving I think. I would rapidly accelerate to my cruise speed then stay there and avoided using the brakes.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
PriusownerCAL said:
Does any body know how to inprove the MPG other then no A/C Tire air, drive slower.

I Heard some where that there is a place that can increase your MPG, I'm currenty at about 50 MPG mostly freeway (80 miles round trip). I have about 1100 miles on the car
Read this, look for mpg tips section. There is no secret. Drive modestly, moderatley and safely. Enjoy your car :D and let the technology do the work.

http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynerg ... ng2004.pdf

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine seems to be pretty picky about where I buy my gas. I drive back and forth between Kansas City and Omaha every week, 200 miles each way. If I buy at the station in Kansas City where I usually stop, I can get around 50 mpg but if I buy at other stations I can get as low as 40 mpg, driving the same route in the same weather. Anyone else notice a difference in where you buy gas? :?:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Flat is the only "secret"

I have never achieved over 47 mpg, but sometimes my battery indicator is all green.

I live at the bottom of a half-mile, 400 foot hill. On the way up in the morning, my instantaneous mpg usually drops below 12. It's hilly here. On the way home, I have to climb about 500 feet from the freeway (over 3 miles) and travel about 4 miles on rolling hills before descending to my home. It's on the way down the battery turns all green.

I'm sure if I lived in a flatter area I'd get better milage.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Fordman789 said:
Mine seems to be pretty picky about where I buy my gas. I drive back and forth between Kansas City and Omaha every week, 200 miles each way. If I buy at the station in Kansas City where I usually stop, I can get around 50 mpg but if I buy at other stations I can get as low as 40 mpg, driving the same route in the same weather. Anyone else notice a difference in where you buy gas? :?:
Toyota makes a point somewhere that different pumps pump at different rates, meaning it is possible some pumps may "fit" more gas in your tank than others. Could account for some of what you experience. :?: :? :?:

·
Registered
217 Posts
An04Prius said:
Toyota makes a point somewhere that different pumps pump at different rates, meaning it is possible some pumps may "fit" more gas in your tank than others. Could account for some of what you experience. :?: :? :?:
If you're going by the onboard computer, it dosen't care nor is it effected by the amount of gas you pump into your car.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
jflowerus said:
An04Prius said:
If you're going by the onboard computer, it dosen't care nor is it effected by the amount of gas you pump into your car.
Thank you for the clarification, :oops: the pump rate would only effect a "traditional" mpg calculation.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you aren't always filling up at the same place, your round trip isn't exactly the same. You'd have to compare round trips where you purchased and refilled at the same place (or at least started and stopped the cumulative average).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will be getting prius later this year. If I drive it 80mph for most of my hour morning commute, what MPG might I expect and how does this car feel doing 80mph?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It feels fine doing 80 mph and will get around 40 MPG while doing so. Maybe just a bit under if that's all you do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Play "Good Vibrations" and you will get 41mpg.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
lojeff said:
I will be getting prius later this year. If I drive it 80mph for most of my hour morning commute, what MPG might I expect and how does this car feel doing 80mph?
It may handle fine at 80mph. But drive 65 on Garden State or the Turnpike and you will likely get 50-55 mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Traffic plays a big roll in getting high MPG. I used to hate traffic now I get more MPG.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fordman789 said:
Mine seems to be pretty picky about where I buy my gas.
I notice this, because E10 (10% ethanol) is required in my area. It burns more cleanly but provides less energy, which translates to lower mileage. When I take a road trip to somewhere without E10 and need to buy unadulterated gas for the return trip, I get 1-2 mpg better mileage on the way home.

Of course, you have to be sure to account for wind, because drag force is significant at highway speeds. If you typically have a headwind when going from A to B, and then a tailwind when returning from B to A, you will notice a larger mileage difference (5-15 mpg based on windspeed, in my experience). To be sure it's the gas itself that is causing the change in mileage, you have to check the mileage on a windless day.

Douglas (2002 Silver, Wisconsin, USA)

·
Registered
232 Posts
you have to be sure to account for wind
I often hear this mentioned if one form or another......."keep the window's rolled up"........"using AC is better then windows rolled down".
Therefore......would also it make sense.....that at the approach of every stop.....we roll windows down to help slow the vehicle and save on brakes? :D

I'm just over 1500 miles on my P* purchased Easter Sunday...and I'm getting a consistent 48.5 mpg each tank.

I think another tip is.....avoid roads in your area with hills!

·
Registered
928 Posts
bshef said:
. . . Therefore......would also it make sense.....that at the approach of every stop.....we roll windows down to help slow the vehicle and save on brakes? :D
. . .
Well, in the Prius, you want to capture that braking energy to the battery. Not only that, it drains the battery a bit to roll down the windows. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts