Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my girlfriend is at least half-seriously suggesting that there ought to be a support group for the significant-others of Prius owners. They could get together and comiserate about how their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife has gotten so into maximizing fuel economy that they get noticeably excited if they get the average mileage up a few tenths of a mile higher. They could trade stories of freezing in the car because their SO turns off the heater at red lights so the engine will shut off. Etc. Etc.

So, what is it about us Prius owners that makes us so neurotic? Is it the continuous feedback from the MFD or is it in our personalities to begin with? (My girlfriend claims that if/when she gets a Prius, she will drive it around without fixating about the mileage it's getting. Should I believe her or is it inevitable that we all become neurotic once we own a Prius?)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah...Also, another question: Are there women Prius owners out there that are that neurotic about the gas mileage and such...Or is it mainly a guy thing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely not a guy thing. I've only had the car a couple of weeks, and my husband fully supports the support group idea. :lol:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
jshore said:
Oh yeah...Also, another question: Are there women Prius owners out there that are that neurotic about the gas mileage and such...Or is it mainly a guy thing?
Don't think it has to do with the presence or absence of the Y chromosome. I keep thinking of the consumption screen as a video game, where I'm pit against myself for best score (mpg=score). The 5 minute interval bars measure my success! It amazes me that I would choose to drive 55 on the PA turnpike this weekend, just so I could keep over 50 mpg average for the trip. I've made the same trip every year for 20 years, and usually 65 is the minimum speed I'd drive! Not now! I have to WIN!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You are merely observing what statisticians call the "theory of adverse selection".

Those drawn to purchase a Prius are initially attracted by the mpg which means that they are a group that does not represent a normal cross section of the buying public.

Then they join websites like this, where they meet others who drive their friends and relatives crazy with their obnoxious pre-occupation with mpg.

Surrounded by others like themselves, who have been "adversely selected" they start to feel this "adverse" crowd is the normal environment.

As such they feel free to do less than rational things, like putting up a picture of a Polar Bear, or pet animal, or a coffee sign to represent themselves...

And pursue great philosophical issues such as:

a word to describe the size of Jennifer Lopez's butt?

can I remove the bladder from my Prius to make the gas gauge more accurate?

can I take out my own appendix to save the Dr bill?

will driving the Prius with no tires increase the mpg ? by how much going downhill?

Personally, I have found the only solution to this dilemma is to increase my medication (which is already near the maximum outpatient dose). :shock:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"a word to describe the size of Jennifer Lopez's butt"

I dunno, but give me a chance and I'll get my hands around the question.

·
Registered
919 Posts
neurotic, yes, females too

Yes, I think you got all those points correct about starting out neurotic, expecting great gas mileage, and staring at that screen to achieve maximum results. But Jennifer Lopez? How about Jude Law or George Clooney? Anyway, things could be a lot worse than being a neurotic Prius owner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
HA- yes. It is a game (MPG). I often get yelled at because i glance at mpg too often. I just got mine and every time i walk in the house. "Averaged 48.3 mpg! I'm getting to my goal of 55!"

·
Registered
18 Posts
gasik1417 said:
HA- yes. It is a game (MPG). I often get yelled at because i glance at mpg too often. I just got mine and every time i walk in the house. "Averaged 48.3 mpg! I'm getting to my goal of 55!"
I knew I had it bad when my husband drove my baby for the first time, and I spent the whole ride wondering how badly he was "messing up" my record.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) My SO is very supportive of "Ernestine" (our Prius). She has only driven the Prius once (seems a little nervous about all the technology) but attends the Dallas area Prius Meetup Group with me. Our Meetup Group has 32 members (I believe one of the largest in the USA) and we meet every month. Our members range widely in age, professions and interests.

This link provides more information about our group including photos:

http://prius.meetup.com/43/events/4193726/

·
Registered
508 Posts
Whenever I click off the MFD XM screen to check the mileage screen, my wife just starts chanting "Nerd! Nerd! Nerd!"

She calls it like she sees it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Thomme said:
Whenever I click off the MFD XM screen to check the mileage screen, my wife just starts chanting "Nerd! Nerd! Nerd!"

She calls it like she sees it.
We see it the same as she does. Nerd.

Brother Nerd, that is.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Prius owners bunch of nerds !

If all my customers, all of them driving Prius since 2001 are a bunch of nerds then that makes me the _Nerdiest_ of them all. have sold ( lost count) but :_128 in 01~02 another _120 or so in 02~03 and 04 to present
delivering to the tune of 25 a month ! So I'm the Biggest nerd, convincing an ICE Toyota interested customers but ends up ordering and buying a Prius !

Oh what a feeling to convince an ICE buying customer to get a HSD instead-Nerdiest thing to do... !

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
NERD= Nice Environment Respecting Drivers...

everybody take a bow. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts