Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really an important option to get? I think on the 2006 it's bundled in with the expensive stereo system,, so I'm not sure I'd want it unless there's an important reason to get it. Are the Prius's blindspots so worrisome that they camera is needed? thanks as usual. This is a great group to chat with.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have it on my Sienna and rarely use it. I still feel the need to look over both shoulders when backing up. I don't feel comfortable relying on the field of vision provided by the camera. I don't have it on the Prius and wouldn't get it unless it came with something else I wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Of the 8 package choices for 2006, they all have the rear backup camera, except for package #1 GY (side air bags only). Not even the newer WMA/MP3 reading CD player with an aux-input jack on the GY package... (That's not the "expensive" JBL 6CDchanger system w/extra speakers, either. GY just has the same base audio system as on the 2004-2005 Prius.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mrv. . .

toyotausa.com seems to show me five bundles of options for my zip: 08003. The first combines the backup camera, side airbags and the backup cameria.

I'd give you the link from http://www.tmsbuyatoyoa.com but I seem too illiterate to know how to post a link here. :(

[/url]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi there,
sjerseycraig said:
Is it really an important option to get?
Not to me. I always turn around to look where I'm going when I back up. This technique also has the following advantages:
  • 1. I can give my wife a hug in the process.
    2. I get a nice stretch in my lower back after sitting in front of a computer for half of the day.
I would invest the money in something else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its somewhat of a gimmik but a good gimmik I guess in case there is a small child or object like a toy below the rear bumper that wouldnt be seen by simply turning around... Nice that they threw it in for most of the packages.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife has one in her RX330. I find it very useful especially parallel parking. I had a rental car(minvan) with backup sensors which I did not like. I find that I trust a visual warning more than the lights and beeps.

In a larger vehicle(minivan, SUV, etc.) its indispensable. In a small vehicle, its a toss up. If its there, cool, if not, I'll live without.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The back up camera would just be an ADDITIONAL safety item but not the only thing to use when backing up. My other vehicle was a Sport Trac and the back was so high I never knew what might be behind me. The Prius is much easier to see things when backing up.

The other reason to really be careful with the Prius is that as you are backing out or just pulling out from a space you are silent, people have no idea you are going to move so you have to be extra careful.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think I would want to see the backup camera somehow when I was looking back, but that would mean a display in the upper middle of the back seat.

A bit off topic, but what would it be like to have JUST cameras and no windows, but a 360 degree field of view, perfect visibility at night without blinding headlights, and no blind spots.

·
Registered
249 Posts
What the camera is doing for the Prius

It is not a secret the poor rear vision of the Prius. (See several posts in this forum).
Your are right guys when you say that for a vehicle this small, whay you need a camera.

The rear camera in the Prius is just a response from Toyota Motor Co. to our innumerous complaint of Prius rear vision. It does solve somhow the flaw but not a 100%. To solve it a 100% you have to move the rear wiper's engine to roof to make disappear the black horizontal bar and redesign the mirrors among other things.

The camera it is just a welcome and temporary patch.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Rmarchena said:
The rear camera in the Prius is just a response from Toyota Motor Co. to our innumerous complaint of Prius rear vision. It does solve somhow the flaw but not a 100%. To solve it a 100% you have to move the rear wiper's engine to roof to make disappear the black horizontal bar and redesign the mirrors among other things.

I have found that part of owning any car is getting to know the dimensions of your vehicle and having the ability to judge how far you can back up before hitting something. I'm not sure if anyone has really taken notice, but the rear visibility in this vehicle is acutally superior to just about any other vehicle out there because few vehicles have a rear window that goes that far down on the vehicle. And considering that there is no trunklid or rear extension on the car all you have to do is mentally add the depth of the bumper and you have a pretty good idea of how far back you can manuever. This is actually the easiest vehicle I have ever manuevered in reverse in.

Nobody talks about rear visiblity of the Camry, but consider that its rear window is much higher up on the vehicle than the Prius, doesn't have that nice low slit window to look through and there is a trunk you have to consider when backing up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have rearview camera installed myself on my 2005 Prius.
Here is what I do when backing up,
- Push NAVI button (you have to because of aftermarket system...)
- Shift into Reverse
- take a galance at the monitor (MFD) check to see any obstacles
- turn your head and do as you normally do when backing up

No one says that you HAVE TO rely on rearview camera alone when backing up. It is actually dangerous. Rearview camera is there to help you see what you can't see even if you look at all mirrors and turn your head (basically do all the right things). You can't see a toddler behind your Prius' bumper. Can you?

Not to mention it is of great importance in parallel parking. Just like GPS, people think it is useless until they own one. So is rearview camera. IMHO, it should be made standard in all vehicles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rmarchena said:
What the camera is doing for the Prius

It is not a secret the poor rear vision of the Prius. (See several posts in this forum).
Your are right guys when you say that for a vehicle this small, whay you need a camera.

Note that of the "several posts" mentioned, most are from this same poster.

I have had my Prius for about 18 months, doesn't have the rearview camera -- and I haven't had any problems. If it had been availible back then, I likely would have got it as I tend to buy my vehicles loaded. It might be nice if you often find your driveway covered in kid's toys and bikes.
With properly adjusted mirrors, I don't find any problems with blindspots -- anymore than any other vehicle anyway.

Spike

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with Rmarchena that the rear visibility is poor. I have also seen a number of comments to that effect from others, in Consumer Reports and the guys on Car Talk.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have found that I rely on the mirrors more than past cars when backing, as the over-the-shoulder view is very limited. I have adjusted to it, but it is the least backing up visibility of any car I have owned. I wish I had the rear camera.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts