Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. I've enjoyed reading all the posts on the Toyota Prius, and I look forward to owning one of these cool vehicles.

I've read much about it so the other day I decided to take one for a test drive. I went to the local toyota dealership and they had one in stock for me to test. Needless to say I was impressed. Of course they pressed really hard for me to buy it on the spot.

In any regards, i got a low-ball offer on my trade-in and they told me that there is a 10k premium on the sticker-price!!!!

so if the sticker says "21,000", in reality, they'll charge $31,000.
This seems excessive and absurd....

Should i turn around and wait for someone who'll sell at sticker price? I know that these cars are in demand, but they are not going to run out.

I live in Dallas. What are you guys paying for these cars? Am I being too naive to think i could get one for their actual said price?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd RUN. There's no reason to pay a single penny over MSRP, and some have been lucky enough to pay under MSRP. At the very least, you should be able to get the car at MSRP and have them throw in mats, tint, and/or oil changes for a few years. The days of waiting months for a Prius and paying a premium over sticker are over, much to the dealer's dismay. Yet they will STILL play that card if given the opportunity.

Unfortunately, you should not take anything a dealer says at face value unless you've independently researched and arrived at the same conclusion yourself.

Best of luck!

Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am so glad to hear you say that.

i was also a little pissed off with their trade offer on my honda CRV, which is an 03. Yes, it has 80k on it, but $8,000? That's rediculous.

how do i find out which toyota dealers can be trusted in my area? I said I wanted a White Prius, and they said that is VERY hard to get... I don't get it; it's just paint...

I'd like to know about reccomended dealers, or something i could refer to.

21-24 is very reasonable... 31 is absurd....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, if you pay 31,000 for a 21,000 car, you ISTANTLY loose 10k because if you turn around and sell it, you'll be negotiating DOWN with the buyer from the sticker price, not the price you actually paid.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Edmunds.com appraises the EX AWD with AT at $12.5K for a trade-in, so 8K isn't that far off. You lose quite a bit with 80K mileage.

But 10K over MSRP? That's ridiculous. And I thought I was bent over for being snookered in paying $4K over MSRP last year. From what I understand, the dealers in the TB area are still doing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
idealflaw said:
What are you guys paying for these cars? Am I being too naive to think i could get one for their actual said price?
I asked a similar question here http://priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5725 you may find it helpful as well :)

CWeider said:
The days of waiting months for a Prius and paying a premium over sticker are over, much to the dealer's dismay. Yet they will STILL play that card if given the opportunity.

Unfortunately, you should not take anything a dealer says at face value unless you've independently researched and arrived at the same conclusion yourself.
Oh so true.. I visited my local deal Monday afternoon, not for a test drive, but to actually see the car sit in the car and the like (im still looking at other cars but the Prius is/was near the top of my list)... anyway my local dealer is in the process of a changing from the 05 package line to the 06 line and now has a waiting list of 2-3 months... unless I wanted a silver c package (old #9) then I could pick up a new Prius next week... plus a few thousand over sticker... the game they wanted to play was the final cost would be MRSP + the $2000 cost to hold the Prius.

Oh and my local dealer told me the only change between the `05 and `06 was a realignment of packages (a, b & c) and a price hike... he mentioned price hike something like 4 or 5 times... and I never once brought up the sticker price... as my main focus was to check out the cars interior (and sadly I did find a few things I didn't like... small steering wheel that cheap feeling fabric on the center console and lack of drive side leg room)... I plan on visiiting another dealer and hope my impressions change and isn't padding the bottom line...

·
Registered
22 Posts
the cost

don't pay a penny over msrp. I just bought mine last weekend in northern california, package 4, white, mats thrown in for msrp.

ive been told white is actually the easiest color to find because alot of people want the other colors, dunno, just what I've heard.

but I would find a new dealership, heck even if you have to buy a 70 plane ticket and fly to another state to get it at msrp, you could drive back on one tank of gas and still be 9K+ dollars under the ludicrous price your dealer is offering.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with what others are saying. No wonder they just happen to have one on the lot ready to go. :lol: I'm not particularly skilled at dickering and even I managed to get an excellent trade in allowance for my Explorer - book value + $200. And, while they charged me MSRP, they waved another $200 in doc fees.

A friend just called me and they managed to negotiate a good deal from a NY dealer this week and are picking their Prius up next week. So, don't give up. You can get a fair deal, too. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealers in my town are trying to get $3 - 4k over sticker. Some of them will sell at the end of the month for MSRP but they add fees that are outrageous to the MSRP.

On a side note, I think I may have made the best deal I have heard about for a new Prius. I paid dealer invoice for mine and had to wait one day for delivery and got my choice of color and options. Of course, the dealer and I have been friends for 20 years, so that may have helped.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have no friends in this business.

i'm just going to go in and offer them that if they can get me EVERY thing i want, i will pay MSRP. No fees, not a penny more.. (tax i guess is excluded)..

i think that is fair. the manufacturer is suggesting that this product should cost that ammount; why should i pay otherwise?

i just don't like the bargaining process. I'm in sales myself, and I don't like screwing around with people. It's just a waste of everyones time and ends up insulting people's intelegence.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
There is no reason for you to pay anything above MSRP. I didn't, others here didn't, you don't have to.

The only thing you can do is be firm about your trade. In fact, don't put the trade on the table until you have gotten MSRP or better, then put the trade on the table. They are kind of stuck with their price offer, then you deal with the trade separately and deal with it's value isolated from the purchase of the new vehicle.

If you don't like how this dealer treated you at the start, then look for another dealer. If you need to drive many miles away to a more rural area, do it. Rural dealers have lower volumes and are usually most interested in cutting a deal. They know that MSRP gives them plenty of money, and if they can move cars at MSRP they are covering their costs, giving the salesman his commission and making a decent profit all at the same time. However, more unscrupulous dealers will always try to get you to roll over on the deal.

Keep searching. You will find your color, package and leather.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Be careful here, everybody. I know. I know. The shortage of available Prii seems to be diminishing, but another funny thing is happening at the same time and that is, the public demand is beginning to grow more rapidly. Gas prices are climbing. Have you noticed? Every time the price of fuel increases seasonally, it never quite goes back to where it was at the start. Many of my friends who would have nothing to do with my small, seemingly expensive Prius now ask me questions and visit dealers. Just to look they say. My local dealer has 4 Pri on his lot, but he will not come down from his over MSRP price. Because he sells them. What I'm trying to say is, the demand appears to continue growing faster than Toyota can keep up. I'm on my second Prius. Life is short and I enjoy mine every day. Oh yes, I even like the color of mine, Salsa Pearl .[/list]

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is off topic and I apologize. I just read my last posting here where I decided to use the color red for my text simply because my Prius is a Salsa Pearl (red) and I thought I could demonstrate a happy relationship. The effect was awful. I see now why postiings in colored text are rare. Again, I apologize and I won't do it again.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, a year ago, I paid $5,000 over MSRP. I got the car only three days after STARTING my search though. I bought it at the only dealer in town that had no waiting list, they simply sold first-come, first-served at 5k over MSRP. There were plenty of other dealers in town that offered at MSRP, but the LOWEST quote I got was 8-12 months. After I got my 'Eeyore', I did indeed follow up with the other dealers (who had no-cost waiting lists.) I was on three waiting lists. One had a color/option combo I wanted 5 months later, one 6 months later, and I still haven't heard form the third, over 13 months later. Was it worth the 5k to cut my wait by 5 months? I think so, because my daughter was born only 1.5 months after we got the car, and the Prius is WAY better and safer than our other two cars.

The same dealer I bought mine from now only charges 2k over MSRP, or 4k with dealer-added leather. (It's 'standard' on some vehicles. Either you pay the extra 2k and get the leather, or you wait longer for them to offer the same thing without leather.) They're still the only dealer without a waiting list though. When I bought mine, a Prius would sell within HOURS of them getting it, no matter the color/package. (They had three on the lot when I came to look. By the time I was finished signing, the other two were in the process of having their papers signed.) The same dealer now says that popular packages and colors sell within a day, less popular may last a week.

10k, though, is outrageous. Write a letter of complaint to the dealer's owner, pledging to never even CONSIDER buying another car from them ever again. (Heck, even the local Lexus dealer doesn't charge +10k for the Hybrid RX400.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried dealing with Lewisville Tx dealer when i got mine in May they wanted 5 K over ended up going to Okla and got it at MSRP took me 8 weeks but I could have had one in 2 weeks if I would have taken brown
also you might want to use the net as sometime you may get a better deal as the price is there for all to see

·
Registered
70 Posts
MSRP

I shopped around for ages, but when I finally decided to get one, it took a week or two to find the right spec (black, BC) and another week for it to show up. The build date on the VIN plate is 05/05 and I was driving the car the first week of June. Can't get much newer than that, no can ya? : )
I paid MSRP, but got warranty and pre-paid maintenance discounted to match Internet advertised prices and a handful of accessories at "cost" (a bit cheaper than list.)

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: Actually, in Sept 04, I paid MSRP *BUT* the Prius had 4,000 miles on the odometer having been originally owned by a Toyota employee.

ONE THING: What with the skyrocketing fuel prices, and noting the news articles recently, I expect the MSRP or higher prices to prevail. This morning (8/17) the Dallas Morning News published a table comparing commute costs on Hybrids (42 mpg) to Compacts, Sedans, Vans and SUV's. The Hybrid was about 1/3 the cost of the SUV, about 1/2 the cost of the sedan, and about 2/3 the cost of the compact. That was at less mpg's than I achieve.

The good news: I can sell my Prius for more than I paid a year ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
idealflaw said:
... they told me that there is a 10k premium on the sticker-price!!!! ... ... ... Am I being too naive to think i could get one for their actual said price?
idealflaw, go to Don Davis Toyota in Arlington. Ask to speak with John Rowe. They sell for MSRP and don't force port options on you. They quoted me a price for my car and delivered the car at that price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just started serious Prius shopping in the Central Texas area (Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos so far) a couple of days ago. I've found two dealers who say they'll sell me the car at MSRP, and a couple who charge above MSRP--but nobody even close to $10,000 over. None of them have the car I want on the ground, and most seem to want a $500 deposit to be put on their "list." They're making various claims about waiting times. The shortest I've heard so far is 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Purchased mine 4 weeks ago in Greensburg, PA. The dealer had none in stock but said I could get any color or package I wanted and the wait would be 2-3 weeks, price to be MSRP. I asked for a silver pkg 6, car arrived 3 weeks later, I paid what was on the sticker. Now I am getting nearly 50mpg and happy days are here!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts