Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you Prius owners. If a loaded Prius is about $27,000 and a loaded Civic hybrid is about $21-23K, what in your opinion is worth the extra $5000 or so? I really like the Prius but I am just wondering what the money gets you that the new 2006 civic does not get you except a hatchback.

What do you think?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have never driven the HCH but from reading about it I will give you my reasons for selecting the 05 prius over the 05 civic (HCH).

the HCH is not a hatchback

The HCH does not have smartkey (my favorite option)

The HCH is smaller than the prius.

The HCH has a different CVT than the prius where the HCH has a electric clutch and belts that have had problems, I hear that the 2006 HCH might be different, which means to me that the fix might not be right.
the prius I hear is just a gear box which should require no repairs.

The HCH dosen't have as good MPG's and I suspect that the regenerative braking isn't as good since it's city MPG is the same as it's highway MPG.
If the regenerative braking isn't as good that means you may need to replace you brake pads more often.

I have also read that the HCH is less forgiving in MPG's if you drive it hard.

I know the 2006 HCH is suposed to be all changed and alot of my comments may not apply but I never want to buy the first year a new car comes out either.

good luck with which ever car you choose.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, back when I was shopping, the HCH wasn't a 'cool' car, and any price difference didn't matter. However, I don't recall it being as big a difference then.

If you can get NAV and Bluetooth and other 'loaded' stuff in a HCH for cheaper, then go for it. Given the more real-world quality to the EPA estimates, it might be easier to exceed them.

But if the car sucks, don't blame me...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I haven't kept up with the rumored 2006 HCH updates. I stopped comparing the HCH with the Prius when the Prius moved into the midsize category for the 2004 model year. I'd expect better MPG on a lighter compact new HCH than on the heavier midsize Prius, though.

A Classic Prius and a Classic HCH sold for about the same MSRP, when equipped similarly (basically, that was adding in a CD player to the Classic Prius). They were both compact sedans. They both had about the same MPG, and about the same emissions ratings (ULEV except in CA-emission states where it was SULEV). Differences were the manual transmission option in the Civic, the cone and belt CVT in the HCH compared to the planetary gear eCVT in the Prius. Battery management in the Prius is a little more protective than on the HCH. The HCH had a folding rear seat, the Classic Prius did not. Otherwise, it was just a cosmetic looks and feel (exterior color choices, interior material feel), and just what car fit someone's body shape and seating preferences best.

(Personally, if I lost my 2001 Prius today, I wouldn't replace it with a current Prius - there's no cargo barrier in the hatchback. I want a trunk (which is lockable). I'd replace my 2001 with another (used) Classic Prius, and then maybe I'd look at the HCH. I much prefer the seating in the classic Prius to the classic HCH.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
-The big reason I love the Prius is it's a HyBrid from day one and from the ground up and they are now working on the third generation.
-The Honda is a Civic that has been modified to a Hybrid over and over.
-I have used navigation programs in my cars for years, mostly CoPilot and the touch screen navigation system in the Prius is much better, easier to use and has a ton of information. For instance, you are on a trip and you ask for motels to be shown on the screen and when the icons are on the screen you can touch one to take you to that location. Also when you touch an icon it displays all the information about that Motel, gas statation, restaurant ( and incidently, the restaurants, gas station etc icons are unique in that they look like a McDonald's or Shell etc) the telephone number is displayed with a call button. If you have a Bluetooth phone in your car or pocket, just touch the call button on the navigation screen and you are talking to the motel, restaurant, etc.
-I like the heads up display just below and along the bottom of the windshield.
-The display also shows a lot of other useful information; current MPG, average MPG, a calendar, audio adjustments, air conditioning, etc. And all of these adjustments are available on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Prius fully loaded option BC. Love it, dirve like a big car, accelerate like a fast gas car and drive smooth like a Mercedes. First day to work, stop and go on the freeway, I got 51 MPG. That is very very nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I work with someone who has had a HCH for a couple of years and really likes it a lot. When we were shopping, we test drove one and didn't like the ride or the seating. The whole car just seemed too small. Also I wanted a station wagon type vehicle, and the hatchback is a compromise. The Prius just seems bigger (even though I know it's not by much) and more comfortable. The ride still isn't as good as I was hoping for (more Camry like), but it's better that the HCH.

Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
- It's larger and more comfortable
- It's more versatile and it has folding rear seats
- It has more storage space
- It has a greater potential to get superb mileage (but that also means a greater potential to get poorer mileage)
- It has SKS, foglights, side curtain airbags, VSC, Homelink, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Auto-Headlights (Canada)/HID (US), Shift-By-Wire and Brake-By-Wire, Brake Assist, ABS w/EBD.
- It has EV mode
- It can coast with the engine off (although I think the new HCH can do that)
- Better acceleration
- Larger tyres
- more standard equipment (wheel locks, carpet mats, cargo net, mudguards, traction control)
- Easily recognised as a hybrid

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You forgot NAV/Bluetooth and 6 CD in-dash changer with cassette, though you can get the changer as an accessory option. Not sure if HCH in-dash changer has cassette though.

As for space, HCH has 91.4/10.1 Prius 96.2/16.1 for passenger/cargo Cu. Ft.

If I get in the mood, I'll make a spreadsheet comparing Prius, HCH and HAH specs/features, and indicating whether a feature is standard, trim option or accessory option.

I like the way Toyota set up their site in providing car specs over what Honda did. It might be though that I am used to Toyota's style, and the HCH doesn't have a lot of options so there isn't much to chart.

·
Registered
134 Posts
what was the HP rating on the Prius? The '06 HCH is rated at 110 hp, 50 mpg. that is comparable, if not better, than the '05 Prius?

·
Registered
149 Posts
hch

110 HP as a combined output. (2004-2006).

The HCH is still an assist hybrid (motor helps engine, no true stealth, although the 2006 HCH has some sort of 1-3 minutes at slow speeds all-electric mode that still turns the engine?)

Prius is SO versatile with the hatchback. Rear seats on the HCH don't even fold down.

Prius has more 'modern, cool' options (Smartkey, voice recognition, navigation).

It's an all-around better looking, better deal for your $.

MPG is slightly higher in the Prius in real-worlds stats (being a full hybrid).

You'll get noticed in a Prius. It's THE hybrid standard, bar none.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I didn't factor in nav because I believe the new one has a nav option. But I will assume it doesn't have bluetooth so ya, I missed bluetooth connectivity.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
I didn't factor in nav because I believe the new one has a nav option. But I will assume it doesn't have bluetooth so ya, I missed bluetooth connectivity.
In the photos I've seen of the Civic interior, there is a 'telephone' button (phone handset), so I gather it does have bluetooth.

Other than the smartkey, they're both even now in terms of 'gadgets'. Maybe a small advantage to the HCH with it's ability to read MP3 cds and ability to use the nav while driving.

·
Registered
149 Posts
HCH

2006 Prius will have an MP3 stereo option and there are simple workarounds/mods for the nav while driving issue here and PriusChat.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: HCH

finman said:
2006 Prius will have an MP3 stereo option and there are simple workarounds/mods for the nav while driving issue here and PriusChat.
Yeah, but the workarounds are... not good at best. I don't want to have to potentially void part of my warranty to use the nav while driving. But it's a moot point.. both cars are comprable to each other now, give or take.

·
Registered
548 Posts
wstander said:
except.....

one is a hatchback midsize

and the other still eats front brake rotors... :twisted:
How does it eat front brake rotors?

And one has adjustable seats and a telescoping steering wheel. Bliss. :lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts

Jonnycat26 said:
finman said:
Yeah, but the workarounds are... not good at best. I don't want to have to potentially void part of my warranty to use the nav while driving. But it's a moot point.. both cars are comprable to each other now, give or take.
How would pressing buttons that change back as soon as you power off void your warranty?

·
Registered
548 Posts

DanMan32 said:
How would pressing buttons that change back as soon as you power off void your warranty?
Well, Dan, the only workaround I've seen for setting the nav in motion invovles a cutoff that makes the nav think you're stationary while you're driving so you can 'trick' it into setting a destination. And if you do that, you're doing some wiring. If your nav fails, the dealer could well not honor the warranty because of your unauthorized tampering.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts