Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many Prius vehicles that have been sold? I see these problems listed on this and other forums and wonder if the problems represent a large percentage of the vehicles that are being used. I also see almost everyone loves their Prius but it seems that, at least among these posts, there are a lot of problems being experienced by owners. I have only had my Millennium Silver #7 for 750 miles and it's performing flawlessly. I'm hoping that the problems being posted are a very small percentage of the cars being operated at this time.

Anyone have any idea as to the ratio of Prius vehicles that are being driven without problems to those that are experiencing problems?

Thanks for your input.

Stan

·
Registered
884 Posts
Prius Problems

Just an aside:

I think most of the postings you will find anywhere are going to be on the problems Prius owners have experienced. These websites would be pretty boring if all you saw was "I love my Prius - it never has any problems." All cars have things that go wrong, and that's what you see here.

If you want to see relative reliability figures and owner satisfaction, check out the April issue of Consumer Reports - the annual auto issue. I think you will find that despite all the things you read, the Prius is a typical Toyota as far as reliability; and most Prius owners said that they would buy another one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Odd. I read these discussion boards a lot and I see very few problems reported. One person had a battery go bad (but some discussion as to whether it was really the battery or a sensor). Everybody loves to hate the gas gauge. One person managed to find a hill steep enough that he/she could not go up it backwards. And one or two people had to go in for warning lights. The Check Engine light comes on during the first few miles if you drive it too gently, and then goes out by itself (or the dealer can turn it off). A computer-reprogramming recall affected the very early units.

Other than that, it's general operating questions, technical stuff, mileage discrepancies re: EPA, tire pressure & oil commentary, and discussion of all the features we wish we had.

I don't get the impression of "lots of problems" at all.

My biggest problem is I keep walking into the door of my apartment because I expect it to unlock itself when I touch the doorknob.

Still, you ask an interesting question: How many units are out there? I'd like to know specifically how many 2004s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daniel said:
My biggest problem is I keep walking into the door of my apartment because I expect it to unlock itself when I touch the doorknob.
You too! :eek:

Too bad my apartment complex wouldn't appreciate me adding one to our door.

--
markcov

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE Daniel

Daniel, out of the first page of the Technical section there are (at least the way I read them) 8 posts which refer to negativity of one sort or another. This is out of the 50 posts listed. This comes out to 16%. I have no idea if this is out of line or not.

However, I do confess freely that I thought it was more. After re-reading some of the posts, I think that some of them could possibly be "reaching" for an interesting topic to post.

In any case, your point has stirred me to try to become more aware of my perception.

I should rely on my own experience with my own Prius which has been flawless in it's performance.

Stan

·
Registered
466 Posts
markcov said:
Daniel said:
You too! :eek:

Too bad my apartment complex wouldn't appreciate me adding one to our door.
If both of you take the opportunity to live in Japan, you should buy Toyota Home which has the Smart Key Entry System using the same fob as your vehicle. :)
http://www.toyotahome.co.jp/home/bouhan/03.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts