Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my prius for a week and so far i have about 93 miles on it with only 1 square gone from the digital gas thingy on the dashboard. About how many miles would you say you got on your prius till it got low and you had to put gas in it the first time?

·
Registered
736 Posts
how far on a tank

This is going to vary a lot, even once your car is broken in. I suggest you check the average mileage readout, which resets automatically each time you fill the tank. Then, multiply that figure by ten to estimate a safe distance you can travel on a tank. The tank actually holds 11.9 gallons, but getting it full takes time, and since it is an expandable bladder rather than a fixed tank, the amount it takes to "full" can also vary. If you keep track of your mileage over time, you will find a comfort level with regard to how full you want to keep the tank, and how low you will let it get before refilling. Most people contributing to other threads on this subject seem to err on the side of caution. Regardless, the fuel gauge is just like that in any other car, which is to say it is giving an approximate amount left in the tank. I usually fill up with one or two "pips" remaining, but also rely on the total miles traveled divided by the average to figure how much gas remains. I do take the time to carefully fill the tank each time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks for that. but, do you (or anyone) remember approx. how many miles you drove before you had to fill the tank for the first time? im just wondering about that so i know. thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I first got the car about a year and a half ago, I was getting only about 300 miles per tank. Now, I get 450-500 miles a tank. It just takes your personal prefrence on how you take the gas guage and how far you push it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember the first time we had to pump gas it was 424 miles but then ever since then its average between 460 to 510.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You'd have to imagine this topic is already covered, but for what it's worth, we started out around 38mpg or about 400mpt (miles per tank ... genius, eh?) and we've crept up over 40mpg. We've even had a few 50mpg tanks or over 500 miles between trips to the fume stations. Around town, since we live on top of a 2000ft mountain, we just can't get much more than 40mpg. If we do a lot of driving without climbing back up to the house, it improves towards 50mpg. My wife and I drive a little faster than the average traffic and we don't try for economy, but we both know when it's wasteful and ineffective to accelerate or maintain high speeds, plus we try to glide/coast just as a matter of practice and we try to avoid depleting the battery on the climb up to the house (which will kill performance in terms of speed and economy.)

Cheers,

·
Registered
669 Posts
In my driving conditions I get 350-400 before I'm down to the last pip. I drops faster after the first one goes. It's been argued before, but my advice is don't push your luck and wait until the last pip starts blinking; gas up as soon as convenient after the second last pip goes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FYI, reading the fuel gauge, the last two blocks equate to one gallon.

I ran out of gas and drove to a gas station on the battery. I put it one gallon according to the pump and this resulted in two blocks/bars on the fuel gauge.

I then drove to my "usual" gas station (which I frequent/patronize because they stock race gas ... I have some non-fuel-efficient pastimes, too ...) and put it ten gallons (round figures) before the pump clicked off. I tend not to top off. Of course, if you did top off, the extra third of a gallon could carry you for a day or two extra between fill-ups... : )

·
Registered
25 Posts
elle_silpri said:
Yes, thanks for that. but, do you (or anyone) remember approx. how many miles you drove before you had to fill the tank for the first time? im just wondering about that so i know. thanks.
I've had my Prius since 7/22. I just filled up today (557 miles)

·
Registered
70 Posts
elle_silpri said:
The first tank (courtesy of Toyota) covered about 380 before the "add fuel" notification.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
My first tanks were about 470 miles, with putting less than 10 gallons in, at an average of 50MPG.

After a year, getting 600 miles is easy, though I may have to drive a bit into the blinking pip to cross over 600 miles.

If you got only 91 miles on the first pip, your miles this tank will be a little lower than future ones I would imagine.

I'm doing really good this tank, as I am past my second pip and already 290 miles. Must have packed this tank.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Filled it right to the neck last time, and managed 620 or so...

usually 450-525 is where i fillup

·
Registered
236 Posts
My highest tank was 565 with 51.6 MPG showing on the MFD. That was on my second tank of July 05.

I averaged 501 miles / tank and 50.0 MPG in July!

Pretty nice. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts