Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: I just put my name on the waiting list for 2006 Prius. My concern is how many HOV sticker left in DMV based on 75,000 limit? Can I get one in January since there is a 3 months waiting list for 2006 Prius? Should I go and buy a used one today and get the carpol access?

Thanks
:roll:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ca HOV updates

Per topic thread started yesterday, somewhere in the 16000's confirmed issued, but an article quoted something on the order of 25000 applications received.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard 30,000 were already given out

I called CARB and a guy said that he had heard DMV stating that they had put out 30,000 or so (I called last week). However, I also see alot of new prii out there and they'll surely be sending in the hov form. I am also waiting for a 2006 and am selling my wife's 2004 (which has stickers). I may not be able to get stickers on her new prius, but I figure she'll frequently have our kid, so she'll be able to hov anyway.

rex

·
Registered
12 Posts
as of 9/22/05:
. apps received: 28,538
. apps approved & issued: 22,085
. filed: 3734 (not complete, but reserved; should be added to approved tally)

-Ric

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ric, where did you go to get such a detail number for HOV sticker? How many / month they issue? So they could ran out in how many months? Should I wait for 2006 model? Thanks 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are two ways to answer this.

1) At the rate that they are issuing stickers, they should not reach the 75k mark before February or or maybe March, so a 2006 model ordered today should arrive before a 75k limit is reached.

2) A seldom discussed part of the law is that once the 50,000th sticker is issued, CALTRANS has the option to halt the program if they believe that the additional load on the HOV lanes impedes traffic. We'll likely hit the 50k mark before '06 models arrive and the new tax credit goes into effect.

I want a 2006 and the tax credit so I've chosen to roll the dice...

Ric

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ric. Did you know the $3400 tax credit is subject to ATM (Alternative Minim Tax). So if you are subject to ATM tax you get zero.

Also I like to know why some people are saying the law will end in Dec 2007? that does not make any sence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on AMT. I'll check with my accountant to see what impact that will have for me.

The provision expires Jan 1, 2008. See BMcGraw's post for a run-down on AB 2628: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5683

Note the text, "other assurances that traffic in HOV lanes will continue to flow smoothly" is related to my previous comment about CALTRANS being able to discontinue the program anytime after 50k stickers have been issued, if they can show negative a impact from stickered hybrids. I'm not saying that they will, just that they may. So, waiting means taking a risk...

Ric

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I check with several dealrs and find out some they have Prius for sale "NOW" but they are asking $3000 over MSRP. So you can get one today but it will cost you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts