Toyota Prius Forum banner

How long is your average daily commute (1 way)

• 0-10 Miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20 Miles

• 21-30 Miles

• 31-40 Miles

• 41-50 Miles

• More Than 50 Miles

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how long the commute is for an average Prius Owner.
This should be interesting.....

·
Registered
919 Posts
About 41/2 minutes! This explains why I've never hit 50mpg for a tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is kind of odd. I go to school every day, come home, then go to work, and then come home. So going to school is about 8 miles, going to work is about 7

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drive about 35 miles each way - mostly highway with a bit of local at each end.

I am still on my first tank of gas (picked up the car on Saturday), but have seen the average starting to go up . On Monday, it was 44.1 and now it's up to 48.4.

Either I am being 'trained' as I drive, or the gas tank is getting lighter!!! Perhaps it is a bit of both!!! :lol:

2005 Seaside Pearl #6 w/etched glass

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was waiting for one of these to pop up eventually...even considered it myself.

Work one way is 72.5 but...I teach at a university twice a week which chews up another 15 miles of "out of my way" mileage. Factor in the midday lunch runs that average about 10 miles roudtrip...you get just over 800 miles for the week / 5 and voila! 160 some odd miles per day! :shock: ...I think I'm going to be ill.....

·
Registered
919 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
I was waiting for one of these to pop up eventually...even considered it myself.

Work one way is 72.5 but...I teach at a university twice a week which chews up another 15 miles of "out of my way" mileage. Factor in the midday lunch runs that average about 10 miles roudtrip...you get just over 800 miles for the week / 5 and voila! 160 some odd miles per day! :shock: ...I think I'm going to be ill.....
That's amazing! You must love both driving and the Prius!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually manage to fall into two categories; it's 21 to work, and then 20 back. Evening traffic allows a shorter route...I tend to average between 49 and 50 mpg's during the work week.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah...I really love it alright...my back is moan'in now. Can't wait to get my new seats in. (see another post) I'm averaging 53mpg...if I draft semis at about 5 or 6 car lengths I can get around 54 to 56.

58 of the 72.5 miles are interstate running.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Good poll. I'm 40 miles one-way on a 3 day a week commute. I go over a mountain pass so I'm coming up on an interesting period when it'll be snowing up there on a steep grade. I'm hoping my Hakkapeliittas do the job.

Although I really enjoy the commute as I listen to NPR most of the time, I don't like using that much fuel (even at 52 MPG). I have been seeking a rideshare but so far no luck on the mostly rural route.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm extremely fortunate in being able to walk to work. It's about seven-tenths of a mile via the relaxed park route, or a little under half a mile if I opt for the white-knuckle dash across a very busy street. Still, I end up driving to work every week or two - if time is especially tight, or I have to go off-site for an interview, or when the wind hits 74 mph like it did one day last week. When I do drive, it's rare to get even 25 mpg: Not only is the trip short, but it's all stops, starts, turns and hills. So sheer mpg vanity insures that I walk whenever it's at all practical.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW I am shocked! :shock:
I assumed that the average Prius Driver was like me (50+ mile commute).
It makes me wonder why those that have very short commutes chose the Prius, was it styling, technology, reliability, or something else because the gas mileage is not going to be much better than an average economy car on short drives.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Since I'm retired I don't have to travel any specific amount daily. But I do usually go into town and that's about 5 miles one way. :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
It makes me wonder why those that have very short commutes chose the Prius, was it styling, technology, reliability, or something else because the gas mileage is not going to be much better than an average economy car on short drives.
I suspect people with short commutes put more miles on their car during longer, noncommuting trips. The benefit is there whether you are driving to work or to grandma's. Zero emissions was as important to me as the gas savings.

·
Registered
919 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
Several reasons: excellent gas mileage(better than 12 on Cherokee Jeep!), environmentally sound, futuristic, well-reviewed, and.......Toyota!

·
Registered
420 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
I'm actually not sure the Prius doesn't get that much better mileage on short trips than other economy cars - they have to warm up too. (Though they may not spend as much energy warming up their catalytic converters?)

But to actually answer your question, we still need a car in our household: Even without a commute, we drive 7,500 to 10,000 miles a year. Initially, we didn't consider replacing our 1981 Dodge Colt with a hybrid, or even a new car; we were going to buy some used junker. But when the '04 Prius was announced, and it met all our needs (not all of which were technology- or fuel-economy-based - the hatchback was a big deal for us), my wife and I decided we couldn't justify buying obselete technology. As Harvey Fierstein has said, "In capitalism, your money is your vote"; Our money was going to get spent one way or the other, and our choice was whether to give it to a company that was changing the shape of the industry in a positive way, or to the business-as-usual combination of oil companies and traditional auto manufacturers. So far, we're very happy with our decision, whether it makes sense on a narrow dollars-and-cents level.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok that makes sense
I didn't even take into account the pleasure driving.
I guess however you cut it the Prius makes sense!! 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My commute is ~30 miles (San Jose to Foster City).

Thanks to the EV kit I average about 52.5 mpg after (empirically) finding out that 69mph is the best speed at which to set the cruise control. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
9.7 until recently I found a different route 9.8 but up and down rolling hills at 35 mph or less and am getting much better milage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts