Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in, let's say you go inside the McDanlds?Wendys/Name your Poison fast food joint. You leave someone in the car; it's hot so you have the A/C on.

The car is in P. The parking brake is on. The radio is on.

So how long do you have? And, let's say you are stuck in traffic. Horrible accident ahead. No one is moving, again, hot day, so you have the A/C on.

(this happens a lot in South Florida)...so again, how long till you are in trouble? Can you leave it D as long as you like, provided you have your foot on the brake...

Curious I am. Yoda I speak Like. Answer I need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should be ok as long as there is gas in the tank. Sitting in dead stop traffic here in DC, I've seen SOC get down to the two pink bars - the ICE kicks in to recharge.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
18 Posts
This just happened to us last night. We live on an island with only one road on/off. We were coming home last night around 9:30 and there was an accident blocking the road. It was 90 degrees, A/C set on 78, and HID lights were on. It took about 15 minutes to go from "top of the blue" to two pink bars. The ICE then cycled on for about 2 minutes to bring the charge up to about 3-4 bars, then off again. That charge lasted for about 5-7 minutes then the cycle repeated itself. You're never "in trouble" in the Prius, as the ICE will always take care of keeping the battery above ~40% SOC.
Now if only I could get used to not jumping on the brakes when the car surges forward as a result of the ICE kicking in (when in park). It just moves forward within the play of the parking pawl, but it still is a little unnerving.
As luck would have it, I was already on the flashing pip prior to us getting stuck; as soon as we were clear of the accident, I was a little shocked when I pumped 12.4 (!?) gallons of gas in the car.

Take care,

Chris

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. And also, yeah, that thing where the car surges a bit, is hard to get used to. I will be in the parking garage, and this has happened once or twice.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
~8 mins per bar. Shorter if you have the A/C at a colder temp.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
To the original question, as long as you have gas in the tank.
And circulation in the butt. :wink:

·
Registered
425 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Can you leave it D as long as you like, provided you have your foot on the brake...
Leave it in P (Not D) and it will go until the gas runs out. I waited at a port for a boat for about 5 hours linke this. Inside a nice comfy 20C, outside a crispy 40C.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One can leave it in "D" and it will recharge just fine, but of course then one must keep the brake engaged; that doesn't waste fuel because, with the brake pedal pressed hard, the computer knows not to engage the drive. Whether you use "D" or "P" is purely a matter of your convenience. But *don't* leave it in "N"; that will allow the battery to discharge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts