Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hello All!
I am from West Virginia and we travel a lot to Greeneville, Tennessee...How does the Prius do in the Mountains? Does it struggle to climb the mountains? and how is the mileage? What else can you tell me about it?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in the mountainous northwest region of NJ and commute to the hilly suburbs outside NYC. My current gas mileage on my 06 Prius is 51.5 MPG and the weather is about 40-45 in the morning rising to 60-70 when I leave for home in the evening. It's downhill most of the way to work, and thus uphill on the way back.

I find that driving "conservatively" and feeling out just how my Prius wants to save gas has brought my mileage up from 47-48 to where I am now. Coasting downhill is without a doubt the top gas-saver. I also find that slow acceleration up the hills works better for me than speedy acceleration.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I drove it across the country and was able to maintain at least 80 all the way over the Rockies with the exception of 2 brief parts. For those, I couldn't go faster than about 75.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
My experience has always been that for the hill I traverse (the ascent and descent are equal in terrain) in my commute, no matter how full or empty the tank is, I'm always using twice the fuel going up as what is recovered coming down. Typical example: at the start of ascent, my average MPG might be 51. At the top, it might be 49.8. At the bottom, it would be 50.4.

The car can maintain ascent speed just fine, albeit noisely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just rented a Prius and went to the UT mountains around Cedar City UT. Car went great up the mountains.. maybe a little noisy.. but the local that was riding with me commented how much better it was on long uphill pulls than his V6 Subaru Outback. I thought it did great up hill and down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was surprised

My Prius certainly has surprised me. I knew I was getting a gas saver but did not expect the performance I got in the mountains. Long grades did not seem to bother it and on the switch back roads it was actually fun to drive. Plenty of power and yes I used more gas going up then I did coming down but so have all of my other cars. Getting ready to drive from San Diego to Sacramento Via UC Santa Barbara... Will give my impression of the long haul when I get back.
:roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.