Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting for a black prius since forever but my dealer said a silver one with my package is coming in and I can get it if I want to. My question is, does silver show less dirt, last longer and perform well or is black the way to go because it looks so cool?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that black is the most difficult car color to keep clean looking; even tougher than white. I had a silver gray Saab that hid the dirt very well. I'm waiting for a silver package #7 currently, but I do think the black looks the coolest. BTW, my dealer just called to tell me there is an 'unclaimed' Salsa package #7 available. How do you Salsa Red owners like it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Doug said:
I have been waiting for a black prius since forever but my dealer said a silver one with my package is coming in and I can get it if I want to. My question is, does silver show less dirt, last longer and perform well or is black the way to go because it looks so cool?
Doug,
FWIW, I have owned blue, green, red, brown, white, black, silver, silver, and silver vehicles--in that order. I find that silver hides dirt pretty well.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Silver

We wanted a Salsa red, took a Silver. Love it! HAve you noticed that all the Toyota literature uses Silver Prii? Also the Motor Trend Car of the Year, etc. SIlver shows off well and does hide dirt. Had a black car before (a Saab) and it showed every little spec, fingerprint, waterspot, etc.

Go for it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my Selsa red since October 15,2003 and on through the Minnesota winter. The red was looking very dirty when it was to cold to go through a car wash. I had a 2001 Silver Buick, the silver color didn't show the dirt like the Salsa Red does.
With all the cold weather we have had the MPG is down to 36, but I know as the weather worms up the MPG will go up as well.
Great car fit and finish is so much better then the Buick that I bought new in 2001. The over all interest in the car as people walk by and ask questions is great, I never get tired of answering their questions.
You will enjoy your new Prius.
dupie61

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had my Salsa Red for about a month and a half, and I'm loving it! I don't think it will show the dirt nearly as bad as it show salt. I finally hadto wash it this weekend, and had to back it down the driveway to finish the rinse. It was in the shade, and the rinse water was icing up, so I had to move it into the sun.

I think silver would probably be the best color for hiding dirt. I've never much liked black or white cars (maybe a reaction to "You can get it in any color, as long as it's black."). I'm glad to see them on the road, I'm just not interested in owning them. And I think black and white are the hardest to keep clean, probably followed by red.

The Salsa Red is dark enough, I don't think dirt will show too much. I normally wash my car every month or so anyway, so it doesn't usually get to bad.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Fredo said:
The Salsa Red is dark enough, I don't think dirt will show too much. I normally wash my car every month or so anyway, so it doesn't usually get to bad.
I've seen two Salsa Red Prii out on the road now and I really like that color! Hope it does hide dirt well for you. So far I've been washing my silver Prius much more frequently than the vehicle which it replaced; the old silver Subaru got a bath twice a year, whether it needed one or not.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My last car was black and seemed to get dirty 15 minutes after getting washed. I got my silver '04 back in October and washed it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It hid the dirt so well, I didn't even realize how dirty it was until it came out of the carwash all shiny and sparkly clean. I found my self thinking "Damn, that's one fine looking car!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Doug said:
I am in SE Pennsylvania and love the silver because it hides the dirt (mainly road salt) and looks especially great when cleaned up. If you don't plan to wash yours every day (depending on where you live) then I would avoid the darker colors - especially black.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Black is Kool.

With all the atention that will be paid to the car, black reminds you to pay atention to the details of theoutside as well. The black color gives the car a more macho, more commanding, and less mushy, perspective.

Simply rinse off with clear water - use 100 cotton or soft felt material- no terryclothss, and use a shamose for rapid streak and scratch free to drying.

Also, tint the windows. With a Black car, you only need a light tint (stay legal). It is awsome at night. Combine Black with stelth ode and you have it all. No other color can evoke that mystique. Don't settle for less that what YOU want!

·
Registered
56 Posts
FIXIT said:
Black is Kool.

With all the atention that will be paid to the car, black reminds you to pay atention to the details of theoutside as well. The black color gives the car a more macho, more commanding, and less mushy, perspective.

Simply rinse off with clear water - use 100 cotton or soft felt material- no terryclothss, and use a shamose for rapid streak and scratch free to drying.

Also, tint the windows. With a Black car, you only need a light tint (stay legal). It is awsome at night. Combine Black with stelth ode and you have it all. No other color can evoke that mystique. Don't settle for less that what YOU want!
FIXIT,

Do you own a black Prius? Do you live in the snow belt? I have seen the black Prius against the other available colors and it doesn't look 'macho' but rather makes the car look less expensive (not that the car is expensive).

Following your washing directions (here in the salty road areas) you would have scratches and swirls in the paint in no time at all. And, you would have to perform that chore on a daily basis here in the Northeast during the winter months. Otherwise, you have a not-so-cool looking black, chalky car.

For those who simply like black, go for it. But if you are not set on black then get another color. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Black is cool looking for the first 15 minutes or 5 miles. Ask any black vehicle owner how often he has to wash it. Also black will show buffing marks and swirls and you'd better get some high quality cotton towels or even better, some of those new microfiber cloths. Do yourself a favor and get a lighter color. Think about what color the dust is where you live. Grey in the cities, doesn't show on a silver car. Dust from dirt, in the country is more brown. Think about the gold to hide that. Red dust, in those areas of the country with red soil would not show on the salsa car. If you think black is so cool that you are willing to wash your car twice weekly, go for it. Otherwise go for a lighter color. In the sunbelt, a lighter car will use less air conditioning, hence better MPG. There's another piece of the equation. Black cars in the sunbelt will melt audio cassets and warp CDs that are left inside if parked in the sun. Lots if things to consider besides just the looks.
I took delivery of my silver #8 one week ago tomorrow. Just passed 200 miles and well over half a tank of gas left. Cool!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Mike N. said:
Black is cool looking for the first 15 minutes or 5 miles. Ask any black vehicle owner how often he has to wash it. Also black will show buffing marks and swirls and you'd better get some high quality cotton towels or even better, some of those new microfiber cloths. Do yourself a favor and get a lighter color. Think about what color the dust is where you live. Grey in the cities, doesn't show on a silver car. Dust from dirt, in the country is more brown. Think about the gold to hide that. Red dust, in those areas of the country with red soil would not show on the salsa car. If you think black is so cool that you are willing to wash your car twice weekly, go for it. Otherwise go for a lighter color. In the sunbelt, a lighter car will use less air conditioning, hence better MPG. There's another piece of the equation. Black cars in the sunbelt will melt audio cassets and warp CDs that are left inside if parked in the sun. Lots if things to consider besides just the looks.
If I may ask, why do you need to wash
a black car twice a week? I have yet to understand this weekly car wash thing some people do - what are your reasons?

My black 2004 (received in mid-Nov. 2003)
has yet to visit a car wash, or be
washed at home (other than when it
naturally rains outside).

The only reason it is going for a
car wash this afternoon is because
it will be used in a funeral procession
tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mrv said:
If I may ask, why do you need to wash
a black car twice a week?
To keep it looking black. Around here it would look chalky and white (dirty). No need to wash twice a week though, just often enough to keep it looking black.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Comments well noted and respectifully received. If you LOVE something, your level of tolerance for the negatives is different.

If he LOVES black and is takes into account the pros and cons posted herin, then the bother should not be a bother to him.

I do not take my car to the carwash. The chemicals adversely affect the headlight covering and will turn it brownish or opague. In the extremely rare event that I do to any of my vehicles, I do not let them do perform any towel drying.

I good waxing, allows for a ready clear water rinsing of the streaks that are undeliably more noticable on a black vehicle. But, I would maintain that as possible testament to the flair that may tickle his fancy, black cars do abound and have been around for some time tickling someone's fancy. Purple, Pink, Olive, orange, blue, brown, majenta are not so populous.

Maybe all the cars should have been only red salsa or silver; then we would not have much to talk about so intently and seeming intensly here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts