Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on taking my 2005 prius to a nearby Jiffy Lube to get it's first oil change. I've taken my previous car there (a non-hybrid) and they have been very professional and quick.

Near the end of the oil change they normally have me start the engine briefly then turn it back off. How would I do that?? :shock:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Push the button with your foot on the brake and put the car in gear. The ICE will start within a few seconds.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that will work because the engine will probably be cool enough after they put the new (cold) oil in that the computer will want to run it to reach operating temperature. I was imagining having to run the AC on max cool until the battery got low enough and that taking awhile.

Is there not a more direct way?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You could hit the go-pedal in neutral, "racing the engine" and that should cut in the ICE right away. I haven't tried that, but it should work.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Any time you go from a shut down condition to a Ready condition the ICE will start up and cycle. If the ICE and Cat are very cold it'll run for quite a while. If they were warm it won't run as long, but it will still run for 10-20 seconds or so. The only way to prevent it is to shut down before the ICE starts (~7 seconds after entering Ready--longer if you use the EV button).

There is a means to force the car into and idle and keep it there for things like emissions testing. But that should not be necessary for you, and it's a bit complicated, and I don't wanna look for the instructions right now since you really don't need them. :wink:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Couldn't you just leave the car in park and lightly press the throttle to turn on the engine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes. you can. there are two settings, lightly pressing and pressing even more - 2 rpms . dont know the actual values, but yes. depressing the gas in park will run the ICE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts