Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the triangle of death with a check engine light and a hybrid system warning light all at once. They all went away after 3 days and the car appears to be operating normally with 58K miles (classis '02). I've spent hours reading any post I thought would pertain to my situation and I regulary see people pulling codes and referencing the numbers. Are these shop techs with access to expensive toyota equipment or is there something out there a DIY comsumer could purchase? If so, would it work to pull codes from my Tundra as well? I'm guessing the codes are broken down in an OEM service manual rather than the Haynes version I've used since high school.?.?.

·
Registered
582 Posts
pulling codes

The codes are normally seen by the Toyota shop-people. Some owners of classic Prius have Graham Davies' miniscanner. Where are you?

The code I suppose you probably have is P3191, and it is a generic code that any OBDII reader could display. Just go to the Toyota shop and tell them they ought to perform TSB EG011-03. Most likely you will only need the engine control module (free until 80k miles). If you also need the fuel pump relay or the fuel tank assembly (much rarer), there will be...er...a charge. Good luck.

DAS

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Any scanner will read all codes from the Classic. For 2004 and up, the scanner has to be CAN capable. I believe Autozone will read codes for you for free. If it has been 3 days and disappeared, the codes may be gone by now. If the scanner can read at all, it will read all the codes, though it might misinterpret them if it tries. Best to look them up yourself in the repair manual (or Techinfo) or ask someone to look them up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what i've read here, I also suspect that the code will be P3191. I'm heded to Autozone for a free OBDII reading to confirm. I will be sure to have TSB done at the 60K service later this month. I live in Huntingtion Beach, CA with a slew of Toyota dealers within 10 to 15 miles. I know not all prius techs are created equal, can anybody recomend a service department?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
copek said:
From what i've read here, I also suspect that the code will be P3191. I'm heded to Autozone for a free OBDII reading to confirm. I will be sure to have TSB done at the 60K service later this month. I live in Huntingtion Beach, CA with a slew of Toyota dealers within 10 to 15 miles. I know not all prius techs are created equal, can anybody recomend a service department?
Thanks
There are a lot of CA owners over at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bay ... rius_fans/
but not all of them are in the Bay area, so it is somewhat of a CA-general group...

·
Registered
582 Posts
pull codes

Huntington Beach is not close to the SF Bay area. Claremont CA is a little bit closer, and there I would highly recommend Claremont Toyota's service department. Carson Toyota service is closer to you, also well-regarded, but I have not used them.

DAS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts