Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Pebble Beach said:
I want what I want. Will accept nothing less. If they tell me I cant have what I want I will go elsewhere and probably never by a Toyota product.
You do realize that by going somewhere else and getting a different car you're still not getting what you want--right?

For goodness sake folks, look at the big picture and step outside this thing a little bit. You'd boycott Toyota for life b/c they're producing the most technologically advance car on the face of the earth that you've fallen in love with and would love to have, but if you can't have it right now and exactly how you want it you're going to become passive aggressive and boycott them for life? How on earth does that make sense to you. How will that improve your situation? Do you think it will 'teach Toyota a lesson' or something? Don't you think they WISH they'd accurately anticipated the demand for this car and were immediately up to the task of meeting it? Or do you think this is some kind of ploy that they think will somehow work in their favor and you're going to show them who's boss?

I'm not trying to be mean to you. And I can understand that it is frustrating to wait and have to deal with all the distribution issues going on right now. But just b/c you can't have exactly what you want when you want it and in the color you want doesn't make Toyota a bad company deserving of your rebellion, nor does it make the Pruis a bad car. Just the opposite, it's a bizarre tribute to both of their quality.

Now, that may not help your current situation I grant. If you are in dire immediate need of a car then you are more than justified in looking elsewhere for something that immediately suits your needs. But to start some lifelong vendeta against Toyota or the Prius or both is just juvenile rebellion. Do you think Toyota is going to read this and just say "Oh ****, Pebble Beach is about to jump ship, let's ship him/her a car right away." No, they can only produce cars as fast as the manufacturing process that is in place and as fast as their suppliers can go, and no faster. They've already announced a 31% increase in the '04 production which should, to some degree, help relieve the imbalance of the current demand/supply issue, but probably not completely.

Remember, there were, prior to the '04, only about 100K Prii on the road, with 47K '04s that will increase the number by almost 50%--in less than one year!

Do what you need to do, demand what you feel you have a right to--that's great. But please don't blame Toyota or try to defame the Prius just b/c you can't have the immediate gratification of getting one immediately. I assure you that Toyota greatly regrets their underestimation of the success while they simulataneously bask in it. They'll still be a good car company and the Prius will still be a great car when the temporary frustrations of these delays are long forgotten.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Folks,
Just a couple points and I'll shut up and let you vent your frustrations in peace!

1)I don't think it is entirely fair to hold Toyota responsible for the behavior of your dealer.

2)I think a lot of dealers were caught off guard as well, they figured that like the other cars on the lot they could take your request/order and would more than likely be able to get the car you want in a timely fashion. When it became clear that the demand was so great they had to back pedal. Not making excuses, and there ARE some bad dealers out there, but that's true for GM, Ford, Honda, Saturn, BMW, etc too. Ditch the dealer not the manufacturer.

3)You stated that you never had trouble ordering the exact car you wanted before this. Let me assure you that this process is not at all uncommon, particularly with foriegn manufacturers. Most of the time when supply is greater than demand you CAN get exactly what you want in a pretty short time period b/c dealerships swap allocations to meet their customer's needs. But still there is not a process for ordering the car you want and then the factory builds it. We experienced this same thing with my wife's Honda Accord years ago. This is not a novel situation, what makes it difficult is the lack of surplus to make the process of trading allocated vehicles possible.

4)You repeated that you just want to get the CAR, package and color you want. And that is fair and reasonable. But, what I can't wrap my head around is the fact that rather than accept a different color you'd rather accept a different car?! I just can't understand the logic there and that's where I jump to the conclusion that there is a bit of a passive-aggressive revenge factor involved. Let's face it, you can't even see the outside of the car when you're driving. Sometime people just have major aversions to one color or another and that's their right, but when the color of the paint becomes more important than the vehicle it is protecting then I think the priorities have gotten out of whack.

5)I'm more than willing to bet that if you stay the course, keep your eyes open and stick to the 6 month window you were told about that you will get your car--exactly how you want it. Production is ramping up, others will necessarily cancel their order as their need for a new car increases their despiration. If you can re-evaluate the import of the exact color you want and compromise just a little on that it will also help. And just check around. Send e-mails to a number of dealerships. Tell them what you want, what you're willing to pay, that you're a serious buyer and see what they can do.

This is a fairly unique situation. Cooler heads will prevail and those folks will get what they want. I wish you both the greatest of luck in getting your Prius, as a current driver I promise you it's worth the wait (I waited 6 months after putting down my deposit too, albeit knowing it would be at least 4-5 months before it came out). I guess I just want to defuse some of the generalizations and such. Toyota's a good company doing a good job and producing something that no one else even has the guts to take on. They've made a huge investment in this project that seems to be about to pay off well. If they've made a mistake in their estimates and marketing/distribution strategy can't you see your way to forgiving them that? If you need to take revenge on your local dealer if they decieved you, then by all means walk out on them, but not Toyota or the Prius, at least not for the wrong reasons.
--evan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Pebble Beach said:
I get new cars every 7-8 years so I want what I want. Will accept nothing less. If they tell me I cant have what I want I will go elsewhere and probably never by a Toyota product.
I guess I'm still hung up on this statement, if I'm reading too much into that then I'm sorry for over estimating your ire.

Second, I think, perhaps, you're unduly defensive about the concept of being offered something you don't want on a 'Take it or leave it" kind of deal. What most people are talking about here is that the dealer knows what you want/requested, but something different comes in and they're giving you first shot at it even though it's different. By declining that in no way removes you from the list or lowers you on the list (at least honest dealers won't). The 6 month time-frame you were given is for the car you requested. They're simply trying to provide you an opportunity to get a car sooner by offering you something less/different. Most people have been thrilled by that opportunity and it caused them to reconsider their priorities and whether they wanted to continue to wait or take what they could get sooner.

The best way to head off any confusion/frustration is just to get in touch with your salesman on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. Reiterate to him that you're still in the market, still want package X in color Y and not to bother him/herself with calling you with any other cars--that he/she should go ahead and offer it to someone else. Also tell him/her that you'll call and let them know if you decide another color or package is acceptable.

Finally (God, let's hope, huh!), I am pretty passionate about the Prius, but what stirred my passion in this thread was the logical disconnect I perceived with saying that if you can't get a Prius in the color you want you'd sooner go to a different car and never consider Toyota again. I'll never say you don't have the right to do that, but I will say that I wouldn't respect you for making that decision without thinking through the entire concept of priorities, how one could accept a totally different car just b/c you couldn't get your prefered color in the car you really want just eludes me.

Fine'
--evan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts