Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One touch is not the answer...frequently you need to manuever through voice menus.

Can you dial from the phone after handsfree link is enabled?

Can you voice digit dial a Sony T608?

Does a Motorola V600 have voice digit dialing?

Help!!!

Thanks,

David

P.S.
Our gold '04 is at the dealer. The check is in my suit jacket. But I have to know before I pull the trigger. Thanks again...help...help...help...thanks...thanks...thanks...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I finally talked to someone at Toyota today who actually drives a Prius and has a Bluetooth phone.

He knew he could dial using the phone's keyboard. Then he tested to see whether he could use voice dialing from the phone. He couldn't.

He had an older phone...does voice dialing work with a newer phone? It would be shame to have a phone such as a Motorola V710 or a Sony Ericsson T608, both of which support voice digit dialing, and not be able to use them.

If this is true. it is nearly as if Toyota went out of their way to make dialing a phone dangerous in the Prius by tempting you to use a poorly implemented Bluetooth feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked with him today. He said it is disabled in the software. So is the only way to dial to use the phone keypad???

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
AFAIK, the only way to dial is via the phone's keypad. We're searching for a means of disabling the speed sensor wire that tells the software to disable the dialing while the car is in motion, but, thus far, we haven't found it. It will be widely posted when found.

Is this, seriously, a deal breaker for you? Dialing from the phone occasionally isn't that big of an inconvenience, and the 1-touch is darn handy if you're smart about setting it up. Then, there is always stopping for a few seconds to dial which is a lot safer.

I seriously can't believe you're waiting to buy the Prius until this issue is answered for you...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"How do you dial the.."? Don't! The Prius you run into may be mine! (Yes, I know it's handsfree dialing: the issue is driver distraction, not manual dexterity.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 1+ hour commute and especially in the morning, or going between locations during the day, I live on the cell phone.

A distraction??? Ok, if you think it is a distraction turn off your radio (no changing stations!) don't adjust the A/C, etc. And make sure any passenger or kids have muzzles and restraints so they can't distract you!

Talking on the phone is no worse that talking to someone next to you. Even better, since you don't have a reason to turn and look at them. It is a fact of life.

A good handsfree setup lets you do that. I can voice dial my BMW with out taking my eyes off the road. Silly Toyota engineering would make you not use a large, well lit touch pad next to wheel. Instead they would have you group for small, poorly lit buttons with the number displayed on an even smaller screen.

Is it a show stopper??? I'm not sure. I need to decide by 5 pm.

David

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The person on the other end of the phone is not watching the road in front of you, so you lose that redundancy. Adjusting the radio/AC/whatever should not have your attention for more than a second or so at any one time; there are very few useful phone conversations that can be had in one-second increments. I've read summaries of research showing that these effects make a cellphone conversation is about as dangerous to a driver as a blood alcohol level of 0.04.

Anyone who feels that they must make calls while commuting should take the train, or at least use the toll-HOV lane so there'll be some isolation between them and other traffic.

(Probably time to move this thread to a different forum.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back on topic, I tested it the best I could today and it was worse than expected. Using the keypad on the phone to dial required transferring the sound by either using a job stick or pressing 5 additional buttons or playing with a joystick to navigate three addition menus.

Talk about a problem! If not for this problem I would pick up the car tonight!!! However, I can't make up my mind and I have only one hour to decide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richard schumacher said:
I've read summaries of research showing that these effects make a cellphone conversation is about as dangerous to a driver as a blood alcohol level of 0.04.
I'd be curious to see the details on this statistic. I think you will find it represents people HOLDING the phone and dialing with the phone's keypad. This is precisely what the handsfree laws deal with. And what the Toyota HFL would have dealt with if it had been properly configured.

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
efusco said:
We're searching for a means of disabling the speed sensor wire that tells the software to disable the dialing while the car is in motion, but, thus far, we haven't found it. It will be widely posted when found.
I found a site that found the wire to disable the nav system speed wire. But it only works for about a minute, the the system picks up the movement via GPS and disables it.

They said it does not disable the phone speed sensor.

I am afraid that this is not an analog wire, but part of a digital message sent over a bus. While I'm not sure about the Prius, on BMWs and MBs a lot of computers are connected over an optical bus.

The only way to defeat this will probably be a lawsuit saying that diabling it makes you use the phone itself, a far more dangeous position. Then...maybe...if they think you will win.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts