Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving to go to a run this weekend. I was wearing running shorts, and threw my other stuff, including my other shorts with wallet and key-fob in the storage bin over the spare tire. I jumped in to start the car, assuming the key in the back was good enough, but the car did not sense the key. This surprised me. I haven't tried to see if the back seat is close enough or the storage area above the bin.

It's been a while since I have discovered anything new about the car. I know it's a little thing, but hey... :)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
It probably was close enough to the room oscilator, which is at the rear of the center console, but it was also close to the hatch oscillator, which may have inhibited the start function.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! I've got oscillators! 8)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Yup. One in the console, one in 2 front doors, one in the hatch, and one in the hatch door. They stimulate the fob to give up its access code. There's only one receiver, and its the same one used for the wireless door lock function.
So, by using specific oscillators to poll for the fob, the car can know the fob's general location.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DanMan32 said:
They stimulate the fob to give up its access code.
Darn… I thought I was getting excited just getting into my Prius to go for a fun drive. Now I find out it’s just some stupid oscillator stimulating my fob.

·
Registered
508 Posts
firepa63 said:
DanMan32 said:
They stimulate the fob to give up its access code.
Darn… I thought I was getting excited just getting into my Prius to go for a fun drive. Now I find out it’s just some stupid oscillator stimulating my fob.
Or was it a stimulating oscillator polling your fob?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
You'd probably be OK with your key in the back seat, but not in the rear cargo area:
http://john1701a.com/prius/presentation ... ion_13.htm

(Yes, you CAN lock your smart keyfob inside the Prius without removing the battery or wrapping it in a metal container. Just put it in the cargo area...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts