Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 and an 05, and would like to use one keyless entry on each...Is there any way to do that? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One Key for two cars.

The 2004,2005 FOB is programmed in two steps.
First the immobilizer is programmed. This allows the car to start and run.
Second, it is programmed to unlock, and lock the doors. This function involves the key code. Two cars will not have the same key code.

Conclusion: One Key for two cars? Yes, for starting and running.
No, for locking and unlocking doors.

If you purchase a used FOB, forget even the dealer to program the door locks. The key code is only programmed once.

The above info came by trial and error on my part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the 2004 should get the buttons as the 2005 is pretty smart with the sensors under the handles.... or does that 2004 have that too?

-Omita

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hlclark78 said:
I think the 2004 should get the buttons as the 2005 is pretty smart with the sensors under the handles.... or does that 2004 have that too?

-Omita
2004/2005 option packages AG, AM, BI, BG, and BC come with the Smart Entry & Smart Start/Smart Key System. [edit - added in the AM package. I missed it on my list, it was hiding...]

·
Registered
149 Posts
fobs...

...and the AM package?

My '04 AM (#7) has smart entry.

Our '05 silver AM (not here yet) has smart entry, also. I want to say it's considered a #4?

All bets are off on this being too accurate, I'm working too much lately...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: One Key for two cars.

calinkus said:
Conclusion: One Key for two cars? Yes, for starting and running.
No, for locking and unlocking doors.

If you purchase a used FOB, forget even the dealer to program the door locks. The key code is only programmed once.

The above info came by trial and error on my part.
The rolling code is in the fob, not the car. You program the car to accept the rolling code. I do know though, that programming in the fob is tricky. Many dealers have had trouble.
You can even erase all codes other than the one used to enable the erase.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One Key for two cars.

RE: danMan 32: "Many dealers have had trouble"

If you forget to complete the second step, anyone will have trouble.

I purchased two used keys off e-bay from two different pervious owners of totaled cars. ( one key for two cars, the totaled car and now my car )

Both used fobs will start and run the Prius with the key in my pocket.
Neither fob will program for sks. I get an error message "wrong key code"
I know that both used fobs had different metal cut keys, so I purchased new matching cut keys from my dealer and they cut them to my car for each used fob.

My thought is the fob can only be programmed once or the dealer has some way to program the fob to a key code without the car.

I cant tell you how many times I tried to program the (2) used fob for sks and yet keep getting "wrong key code".

The erase command only applies to the immobilizer.

When I attempt to program the sks, I am instructed to press this and that on the fob, the sks receives my fob pressed bottons, but when the sks tries to send the key code to the fob-failure.

I use my two used fobs to run the car and the new cut metal keys to unlock the doors. Saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
See page 5-2160 of the service manual: erasure of smart keycode.
Last step indicates:
After above switch operation, operating tester according to
code except codes of master key used in previous step.

Next page is reset of smart keycode. Requires a seed from Techinfo.toyota.com.

Page 5-2157:
(a) Select the operation mode from the following:
 New registration mode (when smart ECU is replaced):
New registration mode is used when the smart ECU is replaced with a new ECU.
 Add mode:
Add mode is used when a new key is added.
 Erasure mode:
Erasure mode is used to erase all the key codes except for the code for the master key that is
used during erasure mode. Use this mode when a key is lost.
 Reset mode:
Reset mode is used to reset all the key codes (including master key). Use this mode when all
keys are lost.

Others have done the paring of fobs from two different prius. It may be you have a bad fob, or a non-prius or non-sks fob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts