Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ordered our Prius Oct. 17, 2003. Talked to the salesman today and asked him for the order number that is associated with the car we ordered. He acted like he didn't know what I was talking about and kept referring to the dealerships allotment and said that we are in the lead when a car like the one we ordered shows up as part of their allotment. I think I read somewhere that their is a number associated with our ordered car and that the car could actually be tracked using that number. Does anybody know about how this works?

Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
According to my dealer here in NY, you can't do it. IMHO, its bogus not to be able to see where your car stands in production/shipping. I did it when I bought my MINI over a year ago. Buying this Prius has been one PIA-I hope driving it is a better experience. I hope when your car arrives, it has the option package you ordered and is painted the color you wanted. I ordered silver or black with package 7, its coming in white with package 6. This ain't horseshoes, guys-get your act together before you piss off any more potential customers. Maybe I'll just buy some snows for the MINI and wait for the 05 model. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
re: how to track my order

the toyota distribution system for the 04 prius, isn't a distribution system. there are no orders just reservations for the next available one that fits your request. there are several posts on several lists of peed-off people who have had to "settle" for something very different from what they ordered, or face moving to the bottom of the list. i might add that i can't imagine any "descent" dealer doing that.

as i understand it, the dealers don't know what they are going to get until the boat get loaded in japan, then the regional allocation and dealor allocations are published. that allocation may-or-may-not have your request on board. i might also add that several posts have indicated that the greater the flexability (color/options), the sooner the chance of getting "something".

by the way, i'm still waiting in dc

sid

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seems to me that when one is considering a major purchase like a new car, spending over 20 k, having to settle for something less than you ordered, or shall I say, 'preferenced' is not acceptable. Sure, if I preferenced any color and any option package I'd have my Prius sooner, but is this any way to buy a new car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Confused

I don't know what's really going on but I "ordered" a Driftwood Pearl / #9 from Newbold Toyota in O'Fallon, IL on November 7th. Was called on December 1st by my salesperson and told that my vehicle was built on scheduled to go to port that day. He said I may "possibly" have delivery before Christmas.

I wish Toyota would get on these boards and provide some definitive answers to questions about orders, etc. so that we all know what's going on!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Confused

talleyho said:
I wish Toyota would get on these boards and provide some definitive answers to questions about orders, etc. so that we all know what's going on!
There was a TV commercial a few of years ago that showed a couple buying a new car. As they told the salesperson they liked the color red we saw a robotic paint sprayer start to paint a car red. When they changed their minds and asked for black, the machine switched colors accordingly. Unfortunately it doesn't really work that way. The process is exactly as SES described it above.
I think a big part of the problem is semantics. Salespeople are telling customers they are placing an "order." Most customers assume that Toyota then takes this information and builds "their" car, according to those specifications, like in the TV commercial. Not so. What people waiting for a car have more accurately done is place a "request." If and when a car matching their request rolls off the assembly line and is loaded onto a shipment that is destined to be delivered to their region of the world (a lot of variables), they will then get "their" car. The dealer has no way of knowing precisely when this will happen. The current situation is exacerbated by the fact that demand for the new Prius has indeed been far greater in all areas of the world than Toyota predicted
It's no less frustrating, but might help some better understand what is going on. Of course, it would be nice if salespeople explained this more accurately in the first place.

Moo :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts