Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to show my leadfoot wife how to drive the Prius yesterday and she was ready to kill me - said she knows how to drive. I'll tell you she drives it with the same lead foot she uses to get 14 mpg in her SUV and engages the brake pads everytime she touches the brake pedal. Any suggestions on how to teach her how to get decent milage out of this car.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You wanna be right, or you wanna be happy? Remember... Happy wife, happy life. You choose.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sanny speaketh wisdom.

I say, let the car do its thing. It gives instant feedback. If she's a Type A driver, she's probably pretty competitive, so... quietly get better mileage when you drive the car and leave her to solve the puzzle on her own.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Sanny speaketh wisdom.

I say, let the car do its thing. It gives instant feedback. If she's a Type A driver, she's probably pretty competitive, so... quietly get better mileage when you drive the car and leave her to solve the puzzle on her own.
A little wager perhaps? :wink:

My wife and daughter just called. They are half way to North Carolina to check out some colleges, and they report low 50's on the first tank and a half. I was impressed they had the answer when I asked! I am back driving the Camry for the next week. Damn thing won't open when I grab the handle, and I keep buckling in with the key still in my pocket. :(

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hep said:
I am back driving the Camry for the next week. Damn thing won't open when I grab the handle, and I keep buckling in with the key still in my pocket. :(
Time to trade in your Canary for another Prius. :wink:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife also

My wife is 10mpg more expensive than me when she drives...
I usualy do low 50's. She does low 40's.
There are a lot of things to consider and observe trying to save mpg's.
Be very careful, training your wife.
It is a multiple combination of factors at the same time.
Invoking electric mode, looking at the screen, slowing speed, increasing speed, uphill, downhill, city, highway,....in traffic conditions that change all the times that could create incidents.

Be very careful...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you sure you don't try to tell her how to do everything???? I have lived with someone who could tell me how to improve on anything and everything I did, even when I was trained for the activity and that person was neither trained nor experienced in the activity. The constant corrections and instructions were not conducive to my learning anything from that person!

The persons telling you to let the car work its magic may well be correct.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beth I don't think that to be the case as we are happily married for 23 years. I just want to try to help her get the most out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kirby,

Glad to hear it. If you don't mind a suggestion, you might try finding something really funny here and on PriusChat to get her to read. If she does that, she may read further; that may lead her to spot some of the fuel economy tips. Why, she might even tell YOU about them. That's when you know they're being internalized!

Beth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts