Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
smtrader said:
How are the 05 different from the 04 Prius??
I am not sure that anyone has taken possession of one yet. Except for the back windshield wiper being standard (which it SHOULD have been, Lord only knows, in the 2004) in the 2005, I am not sure there are too many differences..... When someone finally gets a 2005, we will know for certain! Happy Prius driving!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just the name tag from '04 to '05 and looses the Car of the Year name. :(

·
Registered
623 Posts
Dianne (over at Prius Chat - and a Toyota dealer) has stated that there is no difference whatsoever in the car. There will be fewer options packages offered. I don't remember if the offered colors are the same. There is a $580 increase in the base price, but the base model will now include the rear wiper, and the other options packages adjusted accordingly, so the actual price increase is $400. When you go to sell your car, it'll be one year newer so its book value will be a bit more.

It's been suggested (and it makes sense) that Toyota did not want to lose even a day's production time re-tooling for changes in a car they cannot build fast enough to meet demand. Rumor has it that they are going to increase production 50% and send a greater proportion to the U.S. These are rumors. But the No-Changes-for-2005 is definite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is going to be an 04,at port sept 10 to be delivered sept 26. I guess the west coast will get the 05's first

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this 50% increase in production an addition increase or just the one that I already read about?

Either way it's great to see they can't keep up with demand!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tharkun said:
Is this 50% increase in production an addition increase or just the one that I already read about?
I've read somewhere they've scaled back the 50% increase figure to something like 44%. (And I'll consider this rumor unless it is cited and substantiated.)

Louie

·
Registered
623 Posts
Even the 50% was a rumor. But it makes sense that with the car selling like hotcakes (odd expression, that!) they'd want to increase production.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Upon seeing that there was a waiting list for Priuses, I checked with my closest dealer and asked about their waiting list. It is currently 8 months in Houston, which is about perfect for me. I don't think I could purchase a car until then.

Either way, his email to me said this exactly: "The 2005 production schedule has been doubled for USA consumption, leading to a possibility of a shortened delivery time."

Everytime I get to ride in my boyfriend's new MINI Cooper, I crave a new car even more. It's just not fair I have to go back to my '95 Tercel. hehe :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Prius or Mini?

jenmarsh said:
Everytime I get to ride in my boyfriend's new MINI Cooper, I crave a new car even more. It's just not fair I have to go back to my '95 Tercel. hehe :)
Heh. Being that the #9 Prius costs more than a decked-out Mini Cooper, I came real close to ordering a Mini. But I realized I should do my part to help reduce US fuel consumption. (And I really couldn't resist the Prius gadgets anyhow. :) )

Louie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually...there are some differences. Perhaps most significant is an increase in the battery warranty to 150,000 miles or 10 years. (You also get a quick reference card, which my salesman said the 2004s didn't have.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Toyota website has not updated the warranty info, but the longer warranty for 2005 model is good news.

The website has been updated with the new option packages, and by entering your zip code, you can see which packages are available in your area.

As reported by some previously, it's interesting that Southern California gets GY (#1), BI (#3), and BC (#6), while Northern California gets BI (#3), AM (#4), and BC (#6).

But I want HID headlamps without the NAV and other stuff, grrr...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Jeffo said:
Actually...there are some differences. Perhaps most significant is an increase in the battery warranty to 150,000 miles or 10 years. (You also get a quick reference card, which my salesman said the 2004s didn't have.)
Are you sure that's an increase for 2005, and not the increase that Toyota has given for the 2004 in some states?

Anyway, the increase in battery warranty is worthless. Toyota figured out that none of these batteries is going to fail in the first 250,000 miles, and probably much longer. That in itself, however, is good news.

See, what it comes down to is that the hybrid powertrain is not only more efficient than a conventional car's, but it's also uninaginably more reliable than a conventional transmission.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Daniel said:
... but it's also uninaginably more reliable than a conventional transmission.
Daniel, I'm not a mechanical engineer, and have not researched the topic, but I can imagine that the transmission in a hybrid car like the Prius would be a lot simpler with far fewer moving parts compared to the conventional manual or automatic gearbox.

So conceptually, I can see it would be a lot more reliable like you said.

Do you know if the Prius has a "clutch"? direct-drive without a clutch would make it even simpler still.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you know if the Prius has a "clutch"? direct-drive without a clutch would make it even simpler still.
No clutch, no torque converter. Just the "Power Split Device". See Graham's web site ("understanding your Prius") for great explanations about this. Although Graham's Prius is the "old" one, it applies to the new as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts