Toyota Prius Forum banner

HOV stickers - what if I trim the backing?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Coolfire 
#1 ·
I still haven't put on the stickers on my Sparky yet. Mainly because my usual commute doesn't involve HOV lanes. (I'm not that much of a keep-my-car-clean-and-shiny-no-matter-what person... Sparky ain't so sparky now :oops: )
But I have seen some of Sparky's cousins around with the stickers and they don't look so scary. So one of these days when I get around to clean Sparky I'll put on my stickers.

Just a thought - what if I trim the backing of the stickers so that the adhesives are exposed only around the edges of the stickers? Wouldn't that provide enough protection against thefts but make it easier to remove them later on?

Any comments?

#2 ·
stickers

Sorry no one's responded, but I don't think anyone completely understands your question. The stickers, after they're removed from the backing, have nothing left which needs trimming. They are, essentially, borderless. Therefore, I think you'll find that (as ugly as they are) they'll be fine with no additional work necessary.

#3 ·
What he means is, instead of removing the entire backing and exposing the entire adhesive surface, he'd just remove a thin strip 1/4" or 1/2" of the backing right along the edge of the sticker- in this way, only that 1/4 or 1/2" of adhesive is exposed, and the centre of the sticker is still covered by the backing..

If the adhesive is as strong as I suspect, you'll still have troubles removing the stickers even with this trick.. The best idea I've seen so far is the one of buying a sheet of that "clear bra" material, putting the sticker on that, and then trimming the excess off.

#5 ·
We need some fresh thinking on this subject...so when mine get here :roll: :roll:

I'm going to punch a small hole in each of the 4.
Then I will paste on little yellow wings & a tail. Then, tie a strong kite string through the hole and tie the other end of each one to an inside door handle. When I drive down the HOV lane, it will be like 4 Canaries flying alongside the car. :D :D :D :D

The CHP will love it, because they wont have to risk their lives at 65mph looking for the stickers. The DMV will love it because they get tired of people complaining about them, and they will be proud that CA has started a driving revolution.

Bush will award me the Medal of Freedom for stimulating the economy, because EVERYBODY will start buying kites & stuff, and flying them from their cars... and people will consider the highways & freeways a parade, and slow down to watch, thereby improving mpg and reducing the demand for oil, so gas prices will lower.

The Audubon (sp?) Society will love me for calling attention to birds. The Canaries will love me for obvious reasons. Blockbuster will love me because everybody will be coming in to rent Hitchcock's great old movie The Birds.

And my pharmacist will love me, because my Dr will have to increase my meds again. :(

Above is a work of fiction & satire. It is for amusement only. It is not to be taken literally. Although real product, features, city, location and company names are sometime used, any relationship to the real products, cities, locations, companies is purely coincidental.

#6 ·
An04Prius said:
We need some fresh thinking on this subject...so when mine get here :roll: :roll:

I'm going to punch a small hole in each of the 4.
Then I will paste on little yellow wings & a tail. Then, tie a strong kite string through the hole and tie the other end of each one to an inside door handle. When I drive down the HOV lane, it will be like 4 Canaries flying alongside the car. :D :D :D :D

The CHP will love it, because they wont have to risk their lives at 65mph looking for the stickers. The DMV will love it because they get tired of people complaining about them, and they will be proud that CA has started a driving revolution.

Bush will award me the Medal of Freedom for stimulating the economy, because EVERYBODY will start buying kites & stuff, and flying them from their cars... and people will consider the highways & freeways a parade, and slow down to watch, thereby improving mpg and reducing the demand for oil, so gas prices will lower.

The Audubon (sp?) Society will love me for calling attention to birds. The Canaries will love me for obvious reasons. Blockbuster will love me because everybody will be coming in to rent Hitchcock's great old movie The Birds.

And my pharmacist will love me, because my Dr will have to increase my meds again. :(
What will eventually happen is that many of those adopting your idea will use inferior kite string that will eventually break, especially at the newly attainable speeds in the HOV lane, causing massive amounts of HOV stickers to litter the freeways making the roadways to look like a Christo art project. This will draw the ire of the artist of Not A Cornfield after you steal her thunder for a large scale art project not to mention contradicting the philosophy of pollution reduction intended by the artist and the entire sticker program. The program will be deemed a disaster by politicians and be cancelled turning you into the "Steve Bartman" of hybrids in California.

Additionally many stickers will be swept into street drains and ending up in the ocean choking all forms marine life when they mistake the shimmering stickers for food. Greenpeace will show up on your lawn to demonstrate dressed as dolphins plastered with HOV stickers and throw fish guts at you and your Prius. You'll be banned from all aquariums and Sea World.

Los Angeles reporters will shift there attention from Katrina, the DWP blackout and Reggie the alligator to you, the Prius driving polar bear. You will be infamously known as the cause of The Great Hybrid HOV Sticker Disaster of 2005. The media attack will create a backlash of hybrid purchases and cause the bankruptcy of Toyota and the media will deem you as the one who created the International Hybrid Collapse. SUV sales will go back on the rise.

Those flapping stickers that remain on the string will look like prey and draw the attention of hawks and other predatory birds. They will swoop down onto unsupecting Prii like kamikazes and either explode into a cloud of feathers adding to the look of a sticker strewn highway or disappear into the soft sheet metal of the Prius. Now the Audobon Society will withdraw their praise and join the Greenpeace protest on your lawn.

The good news is Bush will award you the Medal of Freedom for stimulating the economy and your pharmacist will still love you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.