Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are HOV stickers needed? Is it to tell the police that we are in a hybrid car? Is the word Hybrid all around my car that hard to see? Does not the Police wilth all their investigative smarts not know that this car is a Hybrid?
I know a hybrid when I see it! I can also tell which car is an unmarked police car.

Has anyone seen the stickers from New York? They are green and there are 4. One for each bumber and one for each FENDER. How crazy is this idea?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
no sticker needed in NJ, and hybrids allowed to drive in HOV lanes. Ok, there aren't many of those lanes about, but it's a start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree it seems silly. A policeman can easily tell the current Prius vehicles. Maybe a Classic Prius needs a hint. Maybe the hybrid SUVs.

So naturally it's the least-common-denominator philosophy: slap a bunch of stickers all over the car.

Why couldn't they simply have ONE sticker near the license plate? The cop is almost always behind you. No doubt it's because politicians made the decision and they didn't ask law enforcement what makes sense.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
rudyp said:
Has anyone seen the stickers from New York? They are green and there are 4. One for each bumber and one for each FENDER. How crazy is this idea?
Sounds like they got the idea from California...

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I'm sure most police are familiar with the Prius. But all other hybrids are identical to their conventional counterparts (except for one or 2 small chrome "HYBRID" IDs), so it's not easy to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
wayneswhirld said:
But all other hybrids are identical to their conventional counterparts (except for one or 2 small chrome "HYBRID" IDs), so it's not easy to tell.
and since you can just buy the "Hybrid" decals from a dealer and add them to your car...

·
Registered
22 Posts
HOV Stickers

In Virginia, we pay $10 and get a special plate. Pretty simple system that doesn't intrude on the vehicle. :D

·
Read Only
51 Posts
The Clean Air Vehicle stickers don’t just apply to the hybrids getting more than 45 MPG, they apply to a along list of cars that have either been converted to run on CNG or provided by the manufacture as prototype electric cars. If you look at the CA DMV site for eligible clean air vehicles you will find a long list of them. They all look like ordinary cars.

I like the Virginia idea of a separate plate.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
...and in CA, there is a limit as to the number of qualifying Hybrids that will get the stickers. After 75K stickers are issued, even the Prius & Honda Civic Hyb (the primary qualifying cars) will not be able to get stickers. So there will be identical cars, some with & some without stickers.

The stickers stay with the car if you sell. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok guess ur right , but stickers all over is a bad idea, I don't want stickers on my car, maybe on the plate or on the windows, but on the body is not for me.

looks awful, I will take a picture of one when I see it

·
Registered
581 Posts
rudyp said:
ok guess ur right , but stickers all over is a bad idea, I don't want stickers on my car, maybe on the plate or on the windows, but on the body is not for me.

looks awful, I will take a picture of one when I see it
Then don't apply them :lol:

For what it is worth, I have mine in place (California) and have only 'used' it once. The number of HOV lanes and other like places is limited where I drive. My coworker goes to LA and beyond regularly and he swears by their value in congested traffic zones.

Lastly, the CHP WILL tag you for $270+ if you are illegal, and I doubt that they will much care if you point out that your Civic is a hybrid if it is not wearing its stickers as prescribed.

Walt (wishes that I had not put mine on...)

·
Registered
991 Posts
For California they're trying not to flood the carpool lane entirely. And as stated above, cars like the Civic you can hardly tell whether theyre a Hybrid (yes, a silver emblem, really tiny if you ask me because I always try to see if they're a Hybrid or not).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Phish Phood said:
For California they're trying not to flood the carpool lane entirely. And as stated above, cars like the Civic you can hardly tell whether theyre a Hybrid (yes, a silver emblem, really tiny if you ask me because I always try to see if they're a Hybrid or not).
My 2004 HCH had NO emblems, not even a CIVIC , only the sylized H of Honda. It was a 5spd manual as well, so was even more rare!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The stickers caused a big uproar in CA as well when they first came out. People swore they would never "destroy" their car by putting them on. The funny thing is you really don't hear much about that anymore and you see them all over the place. The people I know who are able to use the carpool lanes because of the stickers seem bascially ecstatic.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
8)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where there are a ton of commuter lanes. But it seems my commute is always reverse to traffic. Still, I got the stickers and use them whenever there is an accident. So basically that amounts to about 5 times. Each time they are worth 10 times their weight in gold! :)

At first I hated the big yellow stickers on all 4 sides of the car. Now I don't notice them. After all, it's just a means of transportation. It uses gas, therefore it is evil ... it's just the lesser evil! :D

What I truely don't understand are all the people who put election stickers on their cars. I still see Clinton For President stickers on some of the older cars......

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
What I truely don't understand are all the people who put election stickers on their cars. I still see Clinton For President stickers on some of the older cars......
Maybe those aren't "old" Clinton stickers. Could be early ones for Hillary. Ok, now I'll go wash my mouth out with soap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here are the requirements:
Based on certain federal emission and fuel economy standards, eligible vehicles include the Toyota Prius Hybrid, model year 2001-2006; the Honda Civic Hybrid, model year 2003-2006; and the Honda Insight Hybrid, model year 2000-2004

These are the only cars on the accepted list in NY
this is what the stickers look like:
http://www.dot.state.ny.us/traffic/its/06cleanpass.gif

·
Registered
40 Posts
rudyp said:
here are the requirements:
Based on certain federal emission and fuel economy standards, eligible vehicles include ... the Honda Insight Hybrid, model year 2000-2004
Does the manual transmission Insight qualify in New York? It California it does not qualify because it is not clean enough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts