Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a lot of discussion about this, but I thought it might be helpful to establish a thread dedicated to this topic. I just got my HOV stickers and, like many others, am appalled at the notion of affixing these large and unsightly things to my car.

I know lots of you don't mind the stickers, but please reserve this discussion for those that do.

Perhaps we can generate some innovative ideas with regard to making these stickers removeable without sacrificing the paint (or the stickers).

Any and all suggestions are encouraged!

·
Registered
93 Posts
marlowe7 said:
I know there's been a lot of discussion about this, but I thought it might be helpful to establish a thread dedicated to this topic. I just got my HOV stickers and, like many others, am appalled at the notion of affixing these large and unsightly things to my car.

I know lots of you don't mind the stickers, but please reserve this discussion for those that do.

Perhaps we can generate some innovative ideas with regard to making these stickers removeable without sacrificing the paint (or the stickers).

Any and all suggestions are encouraged!
I wish I'd a thought of that when I started a similar thread a few weeks ago. That part about "please reserve this discussion for those that do" might've kept away the "tasteless" contributors that forced me to finally ignore that entire thread.

I've read some tips on how to secure them "temporarily" that'll I try to post when I find them.

The one I'm using right now is to apply eight one-inch squares of velcro to the backing one of the large stickers and placed it on the right rear lower hatch window. If that's not good enough and I get ticketed I plan on fighting it in court.

The email messages I sent to the DMV, CHP, both Senators and to Assemblymember Fran Pavley got no response. That of course was encouraging.

Good luck with this thread remaining "politically correct".

·
Registered
736 Posts
HOV stickers-removable

OK, here goes. I have posted my idea elsewhere, but this is a good place to explain what I have done as well. I bought some magnetic material from a sign shop. It was $6 for enough to do my stickers and those of a friend. I put one large and one small sticker on it, using the built in adhesive on the stickers. I then cut around each one using an xacto knife. I put the small one near the front headlight assemby on the right front fender, the larger one just above the seam in the right rear fender where the body changes to metal from plastic. This is also near the light assembly, so visible from the right rear quarter if one is looking for stickers. I have only so far used them once, and they stuck just fine at freeway speeds. I have enough material left to do the other ones if I need to put them on as well, but I believe what I have will be acceptable to the CHP. They have to get close enough to see if there is a small child in the rear seat, so they can't miss seeing the sticker as well. Obviously you need to remove them when not in use, as they could easily be taken from your car by someone else.

·
Registered
669 Posts
When mine arrive, I plan to look for some of that magnetic material they use for truck decorations and see if I can stick them to a piece of that.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm trying a new solution to the "bra problem." I am printing a scanned sticker on the flexible magnetic material, and I am placing one slab of it behind the bra, and the cut-out sticker on the front. I can remove the "sticker" but it will stick tightly in the "magnet-bra-magnet" sandwich. I'll report how well it works tomorrow...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sticker ideas

I'm not terribly familiar with the magnetic material you refer to. I'm assuming that it's a thin sheet of some kind. I'm amazed, though, that it stays on. I know that some people have been scanning the stickers...this seems like a good candidate for this.

As for the velcro, doesn't that still require the small squares to be stuck directly on the car?

A friend of mine had a thought, which might merit consideration. It involves somehow securing an acetate (clear plastic) sleeve onto the bumper and inserting the sticker when desired.

Thanks for the posts. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
736 Posts
HOV stickers-removable

Marlowe,
The magnetic material I refer to is a fairly thin, plastic coated sheet. Check out the real estate agents and the like in your area who put temporary signs on their vehicles when using them for business. You can also contact a sign shop and ask about it. The guy I talked to said it wasn't strong enough to hold on the plastic if you put metal on the other side, like inside the bumper. I would say it is stronger than a refrigerator magnet, and holds fine at speed, as I mentioned. I was also thinking of getting that plastic sheeting that sticks to glass by static electricity and using it to hold a sticker to the right rear window. I found the magnetic stuff first, and am satisfied with it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
No dice on sandwiching flat magnetic sheets on both sides of the bra material-- too thick to hold.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: HOV stickers-removable

Roger V said:
Marlowe,
The magnetic material I refer to is a fairly thin, plastic coated sheet. Check out the real estate agents and the like in your area who put temporary signs on their vehicles when using them for business. You can also contact a sign shop and ask about it. The guy I talked to said it wasn't strong enough to hold on the plastic if you put metal on the other side, like inside the bumper. I would say it is stronger than a refrigerator magnet, and holds fine at speed, as I mentioned. I was also thinking of getting that plastic sheeting that sticks to glass by static electricity and using it to hold a sticker to the right rear window. I found the magnetic stuff first, and am satisfied with it.
I actually bought some of this stuff. I tried it out and deemed it too weak to confidently hold the stickers at freeway speed. I'm sure there's other material available that would be stronger, but I'm referring to the printable sheets.

I ended up simply sticking the two small stickers on the side and lower rear windows. If that's not good enough, then screw it. You can see the stickers in the attached picture (sorry, it's a cameraphone). From the driver's seat, the stickers are not visible when looking in the mirrors.

DGStan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I did the same. So far, so good...

My problem is with the front, where the bra would hide it. I put it on the lower driver corner of the windshield, but it isn't very visible there. That is why I'm looking for some way to put my duped sticker on the front bumper over the bra.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STICKERS

Dgstan - Thanks for the picture. Is the sticker on the outside or the inside? My windows are tinted, so it rules out the inside (where it wouldn't be visible enough, I imagine). As far as the outside, I've already read enough theft reports to make me wary of putting it on glass.

·
Registered
736 Posts
HOV stickers-removable

dgstan,
You may have tried the material sold at places like Office Depot. I looked at that as well, but was advised by their clerk that it wouldn't serve my purpose. He was the one who suggested going to a sign shop. Yours look fine, and as I mentioned before, the CHP has to get close to look in the rear seat, so they will see your sticker. The reason given by the DMV for the size and number of stickers was so that Caltrans could monitor the use of the HOV lanes by stickered cars. I don't give a rip about that, so I am not going to plaster those things all over my car. Monitor this!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: STICKERS

marlowe7 said:
Dgstan - Thanks for the picture. Is the sticker on the outside or the inside? My windows are tinted, so it rules out the inside (where it wouldn't be visible enough, I imagine). As far as the outside, I've already read enough theft reports to make me wary of putting it on glass.
The sticker is on the outside. My windows are tinted as well. Theft is one of the main reasons I mounted them on the window rather than a painted surface. I figure it's a lot less likely that the window would get damaged during "removal with extreme prejudice".

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stickers

With regard to the magnetic material, I'm still a bit confused. I looked at my rear bumper and, frankly, I don't see any metal or magnetic surface at all. It all looks like plastic to me.

Where, exactly, are you affixing the magnets?

marlowe

·
Registered
736 Posts
Re: HOV stickers-removable

Roger V said:
OK, here goes. I have posted my idea elsewhere, but this is a good place to explain what I have done as well. I bought some magnetic material from a sign shop. It was $6 for enough to do my stickers and those of a friend. I put one large and one small sticker on it, using the built in adhesive on the stickers. I then cut around each one using an xacto knife. I put the small one near the front headlight assemby on the right front fender, the larger one just above the seam in the right rear fender where the body changes to metal from plastic. This is also near the light assembly, so visible from the right rear quarter if one is looking for stickers. I have only so far used them once, and they stuck just fine at freeway speeds. I have enough material left to do the other ones if I need to put them on as well, but I believe what I have will be acceptable to the CHP. They have to get close enough to see if there is a small child in the rear seat, so they can't miss seeing the sticker as well. Obviously you need to remove them when not in use, as they could easily be taken from your car by someone else.
OK, here it is again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stickers

Roger — Thanks for reposting, but it was more of a clarification I was looking for, as opposed to my not having read it the first time. Without pictures, I'm just not clear on where you're suggesting the plastic turns to metal. It ALL seems like plastic, until you get WELL above the bumper. Is this where you're talking about? Not even ON the bumper at all? At that point, I wonder if you're not just as well putting on the rear hatchback.

Anyhow, thanks again. If anyone has any other thoughts, I think we'd all like to hear them!

marlowe

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stickers

Come to think of it, why NOT use the magnetic backing and just attach the stickers to the hatchback below the rear windshield?

Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what it's worth, I can verify that the stickers are removable. I originally had the big stickers on the rear quarter windows, but moved them to the bottom of the bumper just behind the rear wheels.

Despite what it says in the instructions that accompany the stickers, I was able to move the side stickers without any problems. It was a warm day, and I moved them within a few hours of placing them on the windows (tip: remove it slowly).

I was also able to move the front sticker even after three days. I used a hair dryer to help me pull it off. After three days, it does leave some residual goo. Still I was able to straighten and re-stick the decal without any problems. Excess adhesive was removed with a little De Solv-It Citrus Solution.

·
Registered
736 Posts
HOV stickers-removable

Marlowe,
OK, sorry I didn't make it plain in my original post. There is a seam, or groove between the lower plastic portion and the upper steel portion of each fender. The seam is very visible. I have not placed anything on the bumpers or rear hatch as yet, as they are all plastic. By positioning the magnetic stickers at the corners by each light assembly, I am getting as close to the bumpers as I can. I hope this explains it better. Good luck.
Roger

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
stickers

Thanks, Roger. Back to the idea, though, of putting the magnetic strips on the hatchback door... If you look at Arroyo's pictures, the stickers on the rear lights are only a few inches away from the metal door. What would be the argument for NOT putting them there? If the magnetic backing is strong enough, it seems a safer solution. Whadya think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts