Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many people on this forum, I was concerned by how the HOV stickers would look. However, I put them on today and I don't think they look nearly as bad as I thought they would. I think they can kind of grow on you. You can actually put them all quite low in their prescribed location (below the crease line) and they are proportioned OK for that. I'm not saying I'm in love with them but all of the complaining seems a bit overblown for the time savings you can get.

I think it is true that people who are upset tend to make their opinion known more than those who are basically satisfied. I'm wondering how many people think the tradeoff is worth it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
redwein said:
Like many people on this forum, I was concerned by how the HOV stickers would look. However, I put them on today and I don't think they look nearly as bad as I thought they would. I think they can kind of grow on you. You can actually put them all quite low in their prescribed location (below the crease line) and they are proportioned OK for that. I'm not saying I'm in love with them but all of the complaining seems a bit overblown for the time savings you can get.

I think it is true that people who are upset tend to make their opinion known more than those who are basically satisfied. I'm wondering how many people think the tradeoff is worth it?
What tradeoff? No one is looking for a trade off. "We" are just looking for more reasonably placed, resonably sized stickers to replace the "first draft" issued to date. How complicated is that?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tradeoff? No one is looking for a trade off. "We" are just looking for more reasonably placed, resonably sized stickers to replace the "first draft" issued to date. How complicated is that?
Tradeoff is defined as "a balancing of factors all of which are not attainable at the same time." I was referring to the balancing of the savings of time vs. the negative of having to have the stickers. It was a pretty straightforward question. I was asking how many people thought it was worth it in its current state, not trying to debate the current system vs. hypothetical better solutions. While in a perfect world, there would never be imperfect solutions that require tradeoffs. However, I think in the real world it happens more than not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
redwein said:
Tradeoff is defined as "a balancing of factors all of which are not attainable at the same time." I was referring to the balancing of the savings of time vs. the negative of having to have the stickers. It was a pretty straightforward question. I was asking how many people thought it was worth it in its current state, not trying to debate the current system vs. hypothetical better solutions. While in a perfect world, there would never be imperfect solutions that require tradeoffs. However, I think in the real world it happens more than not.
Now that I understand the term, "tradeoff" by your description I'd have to say "only if there are no alternatives". If the CHP comes to the conclusion that the stickers in their present state are indeed "overkill" and reduce their size or number or allow flexibility in their placement then we could al enjoy the best of both worlds. :wink:

·
Registered
150 Posts
redwein said:
Tradeoff is defined as "a balancing of factors all of which are not attainable at the same time." I was referring to the balancing of the savings of time vs. the negative of having to have the stickers.
I've accepted that tradeoff with no complaints. I don't think the stickers look as bad as I had feared.

And while I was at it, I stuck on an Apple sticker and a TiVo cling-on on the glass.

Louie, sticker #351

P.S. I can't locate the post where someone asked why we have to have a sticker on the left side of the car. I just remembered this morning that there are expressways in the South Bay where the HOV lane is on the right side.

[edited]
Found the reference to the comment about the left side sticker. It was in the LA Times article.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Horrible?"
I think they're beautiful! Just as gorgeous as a microwave oven, a window air conditioner, a telephone, and other things that simply work.

My morning drive is only six minutes on surface streets from my residential neighborhood to a massive business area full of marble towers. When they disgorge at 5pm, getting out is a disaster, and the surface street trip takes up to 25 minutes. There's a freeway connection that takes 20 minutes without the stickers, and seven minutes with them.

Onramp savings = ~13 minutes a workday for 65 minutes a week, or about 50 hours a workyear. This doesn't even consider the substantial time saved in the HOV lane when traveling. Next week, for instance, I'll drive alone from San Diego to LA and back - making many stops enroute, taking many onramps. Yee-haw!

Beautiful, tasteful, lovely, artistic, stickers....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I understand the term, "tradeoff" by your description I'd have to say "only if there are no alternatives". If the CHP comes to the conclusion that the stickers in their present state are indeed "overkill" and reduce their size or number or allow flexibility in their placement then we could al enjoy the best of both worlds.
I think we are in agreement then. At this time there are no alternatives, thus the need for the tradeoff. But if the requirement goes away, I agree that I would like it even more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
redwein said:
...I don't think they look nearly as bad as I thought they would.
I agree with you entirely. It's remarkable how many people are getting their knickers in a knot over the stickers. The first time you sail past a mile of clogged freeway traffic, the "look" of the stickers falls into proper perspective. Not worth going to the barricades over, in my view.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Haha,
I wish my wife's Odyssey also get these yellow stickers so that I could put them all over the bumpers to cover all those scratches my wife has accumulated over the years... great idea!

Now, Toyota/Honda, please build a hybrid minivan that does 45mpg.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me the trade-off is worth it, and I don't do that much freeway driving.

Still, anyone with a little design sense can't help but look at the stickers and say, "Gee, they could have done that better." You know, hire a graphic artist for a hundred bucks....

Jan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jon Miller said:
JKnight said:
"Gee, they could have done that better." You know, hire a graphic artist for a hundred bucks....

Jan
Sad thing is, they probably did have a designer...
"You get what you pay for!" ....except when it involves the government. :idea:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts