Toyota Prius Forum banner

HOV Sticker Question

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JKnight 
#1 ·
Hello,

My friend just bought a 2004 Prius and it already has the HOV stickers on it. Does he needs to reapply for it again or does it automatically get transfer it to him? Since the Doc that comes with the HOV sticker has the name of the previous owner, should he just request for a name transfer? I have called around and the people at the DMV give me the run-around and no one has a clue, as to what to do. Some of them told me to re-apply for the sticker and some told me to just "drive" with the existing stickers (even if it has the different name - "since you'll not be pulled over".

Since the people at the DMV don't even know whether or not the stickers are transferable, how are we suppose to know? My friend does not mind re-applying for the new ones but wouldn't he get a new set of stickers with Different numbers on them and has to apply them on top of the "old" stickers?

If anyone knows what the proper procedure is, I'll appreciate your inputs.

thank you in advance!

#3 ·
That's what I thought too. However, no one can confirm it, even the people at the DMV. Also, the paperwork that came with the stickers has the previous owner's name on it... If the stickers go with the car (VIN), wouldn't the DMV has some sort of form that we can fill-out to do the name transfer...?? you would think....

#4 ·
"the paperwork that came with the stickers has the previous owner's name on it"

So did your car, and that transferred! DMV probably just doesn't bother with the sticker, since there is no further action required, unlike with vehicle registration renewal.

The only time you might have a problem is if they are stolen, and you are requesting duplicates. Just give both names and a copy of the title showing your name, and you'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.