Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Amanda Covarrubias of the L.A. Times. Her article about the oversized, over-ugly HOV lane stickers should be in the paper on Friday, 8-26. She said that's what they're shooting for.

Jan

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cool. I'm about to submit my application, but hadn't decided if I would actually be able to bring myself to apply the quarter panel stickers.

Hey, if they don't modify this, is it possible to get sheets of the magnetic material they use for truck decorations and apply the stickers to that? Then they would be removable when not using hte HOV lanes, which I would do only rarely (generally on airport runs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Placement of stickers on car

Does anyone know if we can place the stickers on the windows? I tried the magnateic approach, but the bumpers are plastic.

Also, it doesn't seem to specify if we HAVE to put all the stickers on or not. I would prefer one on the back and one in the rear quarter window.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
On one of the other topics people have taped the stickers inside the windows. It looks fine but I doubt anyone really knows whether or not the CHP will have a problem with it. My guess is that the worst they would do is give you a warning. I'm also sure that if people get warnings, they will post that on this form somewhere so we should get time to move them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In case anyone hasn't seen those big ugly things, here a photo. This is the actual size scotchtaped to the panel where the instructions direct you to place it. There isn't a chance in hell that I'm going to install them on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
ronsdca said:
In case anyone hasn't seen those big ugly things, here a photo. This is the actual size scotchtaped to the panel where the instructions direct you to place it. There isn't a chance in hell that I'm going to install them on my car.
Don't stop now! There are three more JUST as ugly! Apparently no one at the CHP owns a Prius otherwise they would've used some common sense and taste in the size, placement and quantity of them.

Look for an article in tomorrow's (Aug 26th issue) of the L.A. Times related to "the absurdity of it all".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allegedly, the article will appear on the front page of the California section...with a photo of an incredibly dashing man and his Prius. The Times photographer just left.

Jan

·
Registered
736 Posts
HOV article in the LA Times

Can't wait to see what the article has to say. Today I bought some magnetic material from a sign shop, applied two stickers (one large, one small) and cut the material around them with an xacto knife. I'm going to put the larger one on the upper right rear fender, close to the rear light assembly. This should be close enough to the rear bumper to get by. The small one will go near the headlight on the right front fender, which I think is near enough to the bumper. I plan to only have them in place when there is a good chance that I will need to use the HOV lane. BTW, cost of the magnetic sheet, $6.00, with enough left over to do my other two stickers and give the rest to a fellow Prius owner to do all four of his if he wants to do so.

·
Registered
736 Posts
ronsdca said:
Is that the small sticker? Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the larger bumper size.
Whoops, got that backwards, didn't I? Sorry. The smaller one goes on the bumper, as you know.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't live in California, so this doesn't really apply to me, but you guys got me curious. What's the likelihood that these scotch taped or magnet attached stickers will be stolen by someone who desparately wants to ride the HOV alone but doesn't have a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What's the likelihood that these scotch taped or magnet attached stickers will be stolen by someone who desparately wants to ride the HOV alone but doesn't have a hybrid.
Or it could be stolen by someone who doesn't want you to have the privelege. I think it is better to tape them to the inside of the windows. If you aren't going to do it right, you may as well protect yourself to some extent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
why is the sticker thing such a big issue? i mean sure it would be great if we had something small we could stick in the back window (which can't see out of anyway), but at least everyone will know your riding solo while their twiddling their thumbs in traffic...

i for one am giving my car a good wash in the morning before slapping the decals on and jumping into rush hour in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
why is the sticker thing such a big issue? i mean sure it would be great if we had something small we could stick in the back window (which can't see out of anyway), but at least everyone will know your riding solo while their twiddling their thumbs in traffic...

i for one am giving my car a good wash in the morning before slapping the decals on and jumping into rush hour in Los Angeles. be proud my friends.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As I have gathered, you could still be cited (probably a warning first) if you don't put the stickers on the right places. Good luck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
LA Times article

Interesting point made about the need for all the stickers so that Caltrans can monitor the use of the HOV lanes. What a novel idea! How about they monitor the lanes for single occupant vehicles with no right to be in the HOV lanes at all? That has been a problem ever since they opened the first HOV lanes, and nobody seems to care or do much enforcement. Get those knuckleheads out of there, and there would be plenty of room for hybrids. Also, the Prius in the picture appears to have no stickers and at least no one in the front passenger seat. So, a Caltrans person or CHP officer would have to get much closer to see into the backseat, and therefore see a small sticker either in the rear quarter window or magnetically attached to the fender if for temporary use.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Re: LA Times article

Roger V said:
How about they monitor the lanes for single occupant vehicles with no right to be in the HOV lanes at all? That has been a problem ever since they opened the first HOV lanes, and nobody seems to care or do much enforcement. Get those knuckleheads out of there, and there would be plenty of room for hybrids.
Amen, brother!

I'm not getting too worked up over the size and placement of the stickers. Then again, I've had my car well over a year, and it already has a scratch or two on the bumpers. I might feel differently if my car were brand spankin' new. It's all a matter of perspective. Since the New Car Smell is long gone, I'm gonna smack those stickers on in the approved locations the second they come out of the mailbox.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about they monitor the lanes for single occupant vehicles with no right to be in the HOV lanes at all? That has been a problem ever since they opened the first HOV lanes, and nobody seems to care or do much enforcement.
In the San Diego area, before FasTrak, they found that about 15% of the cars in the HOV lane were solo drivers who were there illegally. After a year of FasTrak, where solo drivers could buy their way legally into the lane, the rate went down to about 3-3.5%. During this time the CHP stepped up enforcement, so that was another factor.

One reason for lax enforcement...and also for allowing the proverbial mother-and-baby in the HOV lane...is that the lane is generally under-utilized. So for all practical purposes (fuel efficiency, air pollution and congestion) it makes sense to allow some non-carpool cars from the standard lane to use the HOV lane.

Admittedly, most people wouldn't select "drivers who are willing to risk a $271 ticket" as the group most deserving of the lane, but as a practical issue they're actually helping to increase fuel economy and reduce pollution and congestion. CHP is more interested in dealing with issues like speeding, reckless driving and drunk drivers than with non-safety-related issues.

As the HOV or HOT lane gets more crowded, it becomes more important to get these jerks out of the lane and make room for legitimate drivers. Giving them a legal alternative other than carpooling (which most people reject or can't do) is more effective than writing tickets; hence FasTrak and access for fuel efficient/low polluting cars.

On the bright side, for most people it's enough to know that people will think less of you if you cheat.

Jan

·
Registered
736 Posts
HOV Sticker-LA Times

Jan,
Had not thought of it in that particular light before. Thanks for bringing it up. I have to admit I feel a certain amount of satisfaction if I am able to pass a lane crasher when he gets stuck behind a bus or truck in the HOV lane going up the Sepulveda Pass, and I can whiz by in the regular lanes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts