Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I send a letter with the following to Sacramento I thought I'd see how many fellow Prius owners agree and would also contribute to the cause. (Modifications, suggestions and corrections are welcome.)

>
Department of Motor Vehicles,
Special Processing Unit MS D238,
PO Box 932345 Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

To Whom It May Concern,

First of all, thank you for allowing those of us that qualify the opportunity to utilize the California HOV lanes. As a registered owner of a vehicle that meets all the specified emissions standards for being issued the Clean Air Vehicle Stickers that allow the vehicle to be operated by a single occupant in the carpool (diamond) lanes of California's freeways, I along with a majority of fellow Prius owners take exceptional pride in their quite expensive hybrid vehicles. We would hope that you would reconsider the size, quantity and/or placement locations and method of said stickers. I for one cannot justify possibly ruining the finish and reducing the resale value of my vehicle because of a legislative oversite.

Hopefully the present situation isn't a purposeful "penalty" for this opportunity. I'm sure the whole idea for the recent enactment of the 2005 Federal transportation bill allowing California to fully implement Assembly Bill 2628 and signing it into law on September 23, 2004 was so that qualified vehicle owners would take advantage of the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOVs) lanes and promoting the sale more fuel efficient, lower emission vehicles helping clean up the environment for everyone.

In closing, as a concerned law abiding taxpayer your thoughtful consideration would be appreciated by all.

Thank You,

Your Name
Your Tag Number
<

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I wouldn't bother. They went to considerable expense to set this up, and changing it will in all likelihodd never happen. HCP has bveen trained, and this is no different for our cars than it is for any other alternative fuel/zero emissin vehicle they apply the same regulations to.

It's all over in two years. It would take them that long to change things!

I'm just going to put them on glass so they can be removed. I seriously doubt a CHP officer, with my stickers in plain sight, will pull me over because it is 12 inches from where it is supposed to be. The judge would throw him out fo court with the case.

Mine are going on the rear quarter windows, the rear lower hatch window, and... I'm not yet sure where on the front, since my bra would cover it. Maybe the windshield?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KTPhil said:
I wouldn't bother. They went to considerable expense to set this up, and changing it will in all likelihodd never happen. HCP has bveen trained, and this is no different for our cars than it is for any other alternative fuel/zero emissin vehicle they apply the same regulations to.

It's all over in two years. It would take them that long to change things!

I'm just going to put them on glass so they can be removed. I seriously doubt a CHP officer, with my stickers in plain sight, will pull me over because it is 12 inches from where it is supposed to be. The judge would throw him out fo court with the case.

Mine are going on the rear quarter windows, the rear lower hatch window, and... I'm not yet sure where on the front, since my bra would cover it. Maybe the windshield?
You might have a point. The wheels of government "usually" turn slowly. I've also got a bra and am contemplating velcro for that application. In fact velcro for all of them. I rarily do freeway driving in the first place...

Thanks for you input.......

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also found some suggestions as to rewording my previous draft and who to contact. (See following update)

I've just sent email to both California Senators and to the State Assemblymember, the following:

>
Dear "Appropriate Individual",

First of all, thank you for allowing us, hybrid car drivers, the
opportunity to utilize California HOV lanes.

I own a hybrid car that qualifies for the Clean Air Vehicle Stickers.
These stickers allow me to drive the car with only a single occupant in
the carpool lanes.

However I hope that you reconsider the size and placement of the
stickers. They are very large and have to be applied on four sides.
They make the car look like a traveling circus. Besides that, the
stickers may damage the paint and reduce the resale value of the car.

As it stands now, many qualified owners refuse to join this program only
because the stickers are so much unsightly.

I hope it is possible to change the rules so that only the rear bumper
sticker is required. Bumpers are the only places where stickers
traditionally may be applied.

In closing, as a concerned law-abiding taxpayer, I would appreciate your
assistance in this matter.

Thank You,

Put Your Name
Put Your Tag Number
<

For those of you wanting to do the same here are their email addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]