Toyota Prius Forum banner

HOV LANES????

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Roger V 
#1 ·
Was thinking about getting the 06 Prius to get the new model and extra tax savings, but I am worried about not getting my HOV stickers. The State is capping the stickers at 75K and 45K are already given. You have to have your plates to apply also, which adds another 1-4 weeks after purchase. The Carpool lane is the primary reason why i am getting the car (for work), altough many other reasons. That 45K number might be an accelerated rate from all the older (last 2 years) hybrids/natural gas cars getting their stickers and now it has slowed down. Not sure. What have you PRIUS FANATICS heard or recommend? Wait for 06 or get 05 now (dont worry, i can get in month).

#2 ·
I had the same issue, so I decided to buy the 05 and apply for the sticker. I got my Prius 2 weeks ago and mailed my application with fedex, so I am waiting. The bad news is that, they will stop at 50,000 and will ask CPH to evaluate the condition of the HOV lane and if it is congested, then they will stoip at 50,000, so there is no guarantee to give 75,000.

There are not much difference between the 06 and 05, so I went for 05, but you have to wait for 4 months to get one. Good luck

#4 ·
HOV lanes

As previously explained in other threads, you do not need your license plates in order to apply for and receive your stickers. I'm not sure where the info about stopping at 50k or that 45k have been issued is coming from, so can't really comment except to say that the original intent of the 75k limit and the Jan 1, 2008 sunset provision was to prevent overcrowding. If that was found to be, due to too many hybrids, then the law would invalidate the stickers for single occupant vehicles, and it would all be over. Someone did say within the last few days that about 30k stickers had been issued. My guess is that unless it is coming in written form from someone high up in the DMV, CHP, or CARB, it is more than likely just rumors.

#6 ·
Astrowoman said:
I'm tempted to offer to sell mine to the highest bidder. I can't bring myself to stick the hideous things on my car! Not yet anyway...
You can't do that. It is against the law to use the stickers on any vehicle that they were not assigned to. It is actually a misdemeanor. Some other thread on this site posted the text of the law.

Personally, the stickers have become one of my very favorite things. I save 15 minutes to half an hour each way to and from work. This gives me 30 minutes to an hour of extra time in the day. For me, that is reasonable compensation for having to put on the stickers.

#7 ·
"The DMV may issue no more than 75,000 decals and must stop issuing them if Caltrans makes a specified determination with respect to traffic congestion after 50,000 decals have been issued."

This is from the California State Automobile Association website. See http://www.csaa.com/global/articledetai ... 41,00.html

This is also contained in the provisions of Assembly Bill 2628. See http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/03-04//bi ... tered.html

Another concern is that the 2006 Prius (and 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid) is still not listed on the California Air Resources Board list of qualifying vehicles for carpool lane use. The webpage at http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm specifically states: "NOT ALL HYBRID VEHICLES MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF AB 2628, DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT LISTED BELOW."

What if the CARB does not update the list before the limit of 75,000 (or 50,000) stickers are exhausted?

#10 ·
HOV lanes

Great article, thanks. Seems like we have conflicting information all around

30 vs 45k given out
Cut off at 50 or 75K

I think i am still going to get the 06 to get the tax credit and hopefully HOV. I will continue to call the State HOV board to get a running number. I will make sure to reference your article

#12 ·
I'd like to use mine, but only minimally, and I want to find a non-permanently-defacing way to apply them. Right now, I confess, they are sitting in my file being useless. I don't need them for my daily commute, but for airport runs they will be useful...

#14 ·
I hadn't made up my mind about applying the stickers but have been considering the magnets, etc. I don't need them on a daily basis, just the SF sirport runs. My husband got a new job and has been traveling quite a bit. So, now I'm back to looking for the magnets for the side and permanently applying the smaller ones on the front and rear. Don't want to do it but there doesn't seem to be a good alternative. I was crawling under the car to get a good look under the rear bumper and am not convinced that the sticker would stick there.

Still waiting for my Fastrak refund.

#15 ·
I agree about some non-permanent way to attach the stickers. My coworker told me that the stickers got stolen from the Prius at his wife's company parking garage. He'll have to get new replacement stickers now.

I got rear-ended last week. I haven't gotten my stickers yet but I was thinking that if I had them on there, I would need to get replacement stickers because my rear bumper would need to be removed and repainted for the damage, unless the body shop had a way to remove the stickers so I could reuse them.

#16 ·
HOV lanes

A body shop could use a heat gun to remove the sticker, but I don't know about re-applying it afterwards. They would probably have some sort of adhesive that would work. I don't think missing the one on the bumper would really be a problem though, as anyone looking there would also know to check the rear fender as well. I saw a Prius today with the large sticker, still on the paper backing, stuck into the inside of the rear quarter window. I only saw the right side, but he didn't have any on the rear bumper. In another thread, someone reported being stopped by the CHP, and the officer knew nothing about the stickers, and hadn't noticed any of the four displayed on the vehicle.
I have one small one on the lowest part of the rear bumper, and I place a large one on upper right rear fender magnetically when I plan to use the carpool lane. Works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.