Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE TOYOTA PRIUS HAS THE MOST DRIVING TIME PER GALLON THAN MOST CARS IN THE MARKET.....WATCH AND READ....

Hours per Gallon are better that Miles per Galllon.

When you try to have a count of Miles per Gallon a lot of variables got something with it, that makes the process very complex and not that accurate.

There is a common factor that affects all calculations, the time. Yes, the time that runs all the times when you drive your car even when your stop but with the engine still running.

The time that is mentioned could be qualified according to driving conditions that you usualy face in traffic. Stop and go, up and down, slow and fast, smooth road and rough road, windy road and quiet road, low altitude and high altitude, and the traditional factors, like tire psi, cargo weight, accessory on/off, etc., that will determine the quality time you got.

I would prefer to say how many hours per gallon I am getting instead how many gallons. How many of high or low quality time I am getting. Instead of those intrincated calculations that always are not consistent.

I would like to have three clocks in car:

1.- To measure electric engine/motor working time;
2.- To measure gas enginge working/motor time; and
3.- To measure both, 1 and 2 for total working time count.

Those clocks will inform the driver the traffic to take to get more working time out the car per galon of comsumption.

I would like to be able to say how many hours of driving time I am getting per full tank. It will much easier to know what your car can perform according to gas prices. You will be able to calculate how much money your spending per hour or per minute during driving time.

When you get stock and stop in traffic the time still counts as a driving time. Other vehicles different than Prius will be spending gas a that time, but you will not. That is why the Prius has more driving time than most of vehicles in the world of today.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i think that would be insanely variable...

depends on traffic conditions, where you are, etc etc etc.

i could drive 50 mph for 8 hours and say i only got 8 hours per tank. or i could sit in stalled traffic for 20 minutes with almost no engine running and use no gas whatsoever, and that would bring up my "hours per gallon" dramatically.

i'm confused why you'd want this....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember, your in a Prius

Remember, you are in a Prius.
I understand that.
When you are stock and stop en traffic, your still are inside driving time.
If you can not understand that you are welcome to stay in your confusion.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: commute time..

rmarchena said:
commute time.......out of subject....sorry
Nah, I was just expanding the subject a bit. Your original subject listed one measurement you thought was better than miles per gallon (flawlessing your numerator). I just added another that I think is better than either of the previous measurements (flawlessing my numerator and denominator).

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
rmarchena said:
When you try to have a count of Miles per Gallon a lot of variables got something with it, that makes the process very complex and not that accurate.
A car moves from point A to point B. The distance between point A and point B is fixed and measurable. The fule consumed by said car while going between point A and point B is also fixed and measurable.

MPG = (distance betwen A and B in miles) / (fuel consumed in gallons)
MPG = fixed value / fixed value

Looks pretty definite to me... Where are all these variables?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nothing wrong with another metric

I know where you are coming from. There are a lot of nerds that love their metircs, why not one more.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Slightly on the same topic... I wish the trip readout was in 5 mile increments instead of 5 minute increments. Or at least indicated how many miles were traveled in each 5 minute bar.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Responses

Responses to previous statements:

RSNYDER: statement with flaws
MELGHISH: fixed focus in mpg
LEERAGANS: out of subject
HEP: it will not be necessary with time per galon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Out of Subject?

I said if you want another metric then go for it... I pointed out that nerds love their metrics. I know that I did not complete the idea, but perhaps I should.

Metrics are nice. They aren't always useful. If you want another metric and it is not hard to obtain, then by all means obtain it.

Note, in this case, your metric is gallons per hour.

I thought I was being supportive. Just not debating it with your. I would probably brag to my SUV riding friends about my gallons per hour as well as my Miles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
back when the Classic Prius came out, there were a few people that wanted an engine run indicator that calculated the amount of time that an engine was on, similar to what you'll find on airplanes for amount of flight time between maintenances. It would work for regular petrol cars too - that way, you can tell that a vehicle was used more for idling (like a police cruiser or delivery vehicle) than it actually spent putting miles on the odometer. (In other words, the odometer tells you how many miles were traveled, but there is no meter in a car that tells you how long the engine was run to achieve those miles.)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: Out of Subject?

leeragans said:
Metrics are nice.
Well, 354.8 ml does *sound* like more than 12 oz.

Rmacharena:

Time by itself, and distance by it self are both useless. You nead to measure horse-power (energy/time) per gallon to have any realistic meaning.

You can idle most vehicles all night long on a full tank of fuel, but in doing so you learn nothing at all. No, I won't go that far... You *may* learn which engine has the least amount of internal friction, but that's about it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More responses

LEERAGANS: Still, your statements are not computable in regarding of the subject in discussion. Maybe in Nerderlands could be digestable with dosis of extra obsession.

MELGISH:

Quoting your good statements:

"Time by itself, and distance by it self are both useless. You nead to measure horse-power (energy/time) per gallon to have any realistic meaning.

You can idle most vehicles all night long on a full tank of fuel, but in doing so you learn nothing at all. No, I won't go that far... You *may* learn which engine has the least amount of internal friction, but that's about it."

Mr. Megish let me help you to get the point, please.

Run a Prius and another regular vehicle with similar fuel capacity of 11 gallons until you empty both fuel tanks. Run both vehicles in any kind of terrain and conditions.

Clock the driving time of both and stop them at the same time when one of them emptied its fuel tank. (of course, that one will be the regular vehicle).

At this time the Prius still will have gas in its fuel tank that can give you more driving time.

Because you stopped (idle) sometimes, you went up hill using a more gas, because you used the a/c, etc., the miles per galon will not reflect the real efficiency of the car and the real mpg for itself.

The MPG is not accurate and does not reflect the efficiency of a vehicle.

With 20 dollars of gas I can drive more time in my Prius than in any other vehicle in the very same circunstances and distances.

I hope you understand now why the TIME PER GALLON (TPG) is more important and accurate than the miles per gallon (mpg)

For your experiment, try one Prius and one Echo idle until the both emptied its tank and you will see suprising results in terms of time and zero miles per galon.

Again, the mpg does not reflect the efficiency of a vehicle. Thanks....

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You know, there are days that I just love this website. :) In fact, it's MOST days! :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think that rmarchena needs to calm down. You attack every person that posts to your post about hours instead of miles.
BTW...
Personally, I think it's a dumb idea.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More responses...Ahhh

TO LEERAGANS:

It sounds to me like an apology.
Apology granted...!!

TO SANNY:

Finaly, Sanny says something funny...
But, it is out of the subject, Bunny...

PRIUS, MORE DRIVING TIME.

·
Registered
19 Posts
not an apology at all

I didn't think I had anything to apoligize for. I was being supportive of you idea of having yet another metric to track the wonderful device that is the Prius.

I had just given up on being able to communicate. It was more of a statment to the rest of the posters.

I feel like you are trying to pick a fight with me, and I am one of the few who was actually agreeing with you that it would be a neat way to track how the Prius performs.

Not sure if you took offense at my use of the term nerd, or didn't know what a metric is, or didn't read my post, or didn't like my name.

If you fight the people who support you this much, I am just glad I didn't disagree with you.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts