Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good group, good questions, good answers......
here are some of mine (with 3 more weeks to wait)

1. what if anything happens if you accidently hit "start" while driving (ice or stealth)?

2. is there a parking brake? or does the transmission, lock the wheels.

3. on security system, if alarm activates, do you have to enter a tansponder zone to de-activate it?

4. is the glass breakage sensor part of the package 9 security unit?

5. any problem/effect/etc when entering areas with high tension power cables/ rf energy/high electro-magnetic radiation ( power plants, airports, etc)?

6. now my stupid question.... if battery fails, could you possibly use the regerative braking on a down-hill coast to jump-start it (and activate ice)?

i'm glad you're here, cause toyota doesn't seem to have a very good forum for answering our stupid questions.

thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
ses said:
good group, good questions, good answers......
here are some of mine (with 3 more weeks to wait)

1. what if anything happens if you accidently hit "start" while driving (ice or stealth)? Probably nothing but if I programmed the software it woiuld give you a rasberry.

2. is there a parking brake? or does the transmission, lock the wheels. There is a handbrake with thumb release vertical by dash to lower left of screen.

3. on security system, if alarm activates, do you have to enter a tansponder zone to de-activate it? HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!!

4. is the glass breakage sensor part of the package 9 security unit? I thought so but not 100% sure.

5. any problem/effect/etc when entering areas with high tension power cables/ rf energy/high electro-magnetic radiation ( power plants, airports, etc)?

Not supposed to be. I am a ham and except for not finding much underdash space to put redio gear was wondering if there might be an interference problem. Having a transmitter much more powerful than a cell phone in the car is way more liely to cause a problem that airports and driving by an FM or TV station.

6. now my stupid question.... if battery fails, could you possibly use the regerative braking on a down-hill coast to jump-start it (and activate ice)?

Not a good plan. There are two batteries: 1. Nimh 200 volt to run car down road. and 2. A 12 volt batt for starting the car and running standard accessories like the CD and power outlets/cigarette lighter, dome lights etc. If yo let the 12 volt go dead then yo use the "micro" key folded in the FOB to unlock the driver's door so you can open the hood to charge the 12 volt batt or jump start the car using the little "real" key in the "backup" ignition switch hole thingy.

i'm glad you're here, cause toyota doesn't seem to have a very good forum for answering our stupid questions.

And a dumb queston of my own... why is the motor rated for 500 volts if the bat is only 200?

Pat

thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
1. what if anything happens if you accidently hit "start" while driving (ice or stealth)?
Nothing, and it would be tricky to do that 'accidently' the way the button is placed behind the steering wheel and away from any other switches/buttons.

2. is there a parking brake? or does the transmission, lock the wheels.
Yes, there is a parking brake. The Electric Motor locks the wheels...remember, there is no 'transmission' per se.

3. on security system, if alarm activates, do you have to enter a tansponder zone to de-activate it?
There is no way to enter a code to deactivate. I didn't get the upgraded security system so I can't speak to that. I assume the only way to deactivate the security system on my BC is to get in with the FOB or hit the lock/unlock. I may need to read more to answer more confidently.

4. is the glass breakage sensor part of the package 9 security unit?
I don't think so, I believe it is a port option.

None, except my XM cuts out. Certain sensors, like the Speed-Pass do interfere with the SS/E and you may have to use the fob in the slot to operate the car near those. Some reports of other minor interference issues, but nothing of significance.

No, if the main (NiMH) battery fails you are SOL--it will have to be replaced more than likely. The system is way too complex to allow such a simple solution.
--evan
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
And a dumb queston of my own... why is the motor rated for 500 volts if the bat is only 200?
There is a 'transformer' (not sure that's a technically accurate term for it) that converts the 200 volt battery power to the 500 volts for the motor. This was a major technologic leap in the new THS system and was highly touted by Toyota. It is what allows the higher Horsepower from the motor.
--evan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts