Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess I'll begin with what is probably the BIGGEST environmental news I've seen this DECADE!!!!

75% of electricity made comes from steam turbines, where water is heated by burning coal or oil or gas or by nuclear fission. It goes into the steam turbine at 1200 F, but loses pressure at 800 F, and so all the energy in this hot gas is LOST to the atmosphere! It's such a waste, and a major reason why steam turbine generation is only 35% efficient at best. 65% of the energy in your burnt coal goes up the chimney!

But, WOW energies have developed a closed loop system based on the expansion of propane at low (200-800F) temperatures to extract at least as much energy again as is taken by the steam turbines from a heat exchanger placed in the chimney. This could effectively DOUBLE the amount of electricity made from the same amount of fossil fuel!

Build another power plant? Nah, just stick a CCLC on it. Incredible!! :) 8)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This is one reason I like living in Oregon. A large percentage of our power is generated by hydroelectric dams. (I pay an extra $10 a month to guarantee that my electric utility buys only environmentally friendly power with my money. Hydroelectric, solar, and wind.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
ehurtley said:
This is one reason I like living in Oregon. A large percentage of our power is generated by hydroelectric dams. (I pay an extra $10 a month to guarantee that my electric utility buys only environmentally friendly power with my money. Hydroelectric, solar, and wind.)
I think this should be an option for everyone around the world.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out this company: http://www.w-tp.com/

Wilson Turbo Power has a system that uses the waste heat from any source and converts it to electricity with heat exchanger that drives a compressor that makes the power. This system can be designed to handle many applications from using waste heat in metal castings to exhaust systems on the smallest engines. The more heat and air flow, the more power their component can generate.

Although this product does not reduce emissions like WOW's does, it is much simplier (cheaper) to purchase and install. A typical recip engine genset (engine and generator used in electricity production) can see an increase of 5% or more in efficiency. Also the temperatures out of the exhaust will decrease from over 700 deg F to under 300 deg F.

And yes, this system can be applicable to automobiles. Especially hybrids.

·
Registered
111 Posts
wind power

There is an alternative energy business trying to get permission to put a wind tower "farm" in Nantucket Sound. I feel it is a good idea but it is running into a lot of opposition. Our power sources have to come from non-petrol bases as soon as possible if not NOW and I think it extremely myopic of those opposing the development. Any thoughts on the topic?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts