Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a common question, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this.

The prius I will own has a cd changer. Awesome! I have an iPod and would much prefer that. Howdo I use it? Sure, you can use a radio transmiter, however I live in chicago - All the stations are being taken, giving me constant static.. and anytime I drive by other cars using the same station, I get theirs. Is there a way I can hook up the iPod? I have no problem doing a little electrical work.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do you ave a cassette deck? If so use a cassette adaptor, which also gives better sound quality btw.

Victor

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Victor said:
Do you ave a cassette deck? If so use a cassette adaptor, which also gives better sound quality btw.

Victor
Thats what I used in my old car and was very pleased. However this prius doesn't have one.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
So, you have an external CD changer, and a single CD player in the header? If so, that rules out using an IPod adapter. They emulate the CD Changer ID on the AVC network. You might be able to find one that can emulate the satellite radio add-on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How about sticking the ear buds in your ears?
That's what I do. I don't crank the volume up any louder than necessary so I can still hear sirens, horns and loud trucks.

Roger

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
RJMusser said:
How about sticking the ear buds in your ears?
That's what I do. I don't crank the volume up any louder than necessary so I can still hear sirens, horns and loud trucks.
I do the 'single earbud' thing. One ear is open, other listening softly to books.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
mrv said:
quoting from the MA driver's manual, page 70:
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/dmanual/102004/chapter3.pdf

<quote>
Headphones
It is illegal to wear a radio headset or other types
of headphones while driving. One earplug for
use with a cell phone is acceptable.
</quote>
I believe it's illegal in many states, although I often see it done. That's why I use just one earbud. The casual observer may think it a cell phone thingy, especially since NJ is one of two "hands free" cell phone states.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i got an FM transmitter and its slightly fuzzy when the transmitter isnt in the rear part of the car, but there's no interference for me WEEEE

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
flare said:
i got an FM transmitter and its slightly fuzzy when the transmitter isnt in the rear part of the car, but there's no interference for me WEEEE
They're great - but like i said, chicago has every station filled and betteries are crappy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You can get the iPod2car. Its awesome. Probably the best mod I have done on my Prius! I LOVE it. Charges the iPod, steering wheel and radio seek buttons change the station! And very cool, any 3rd or 4th gen. iPod works on it, so all my friends just pop in their ipod and we're all good! :lol:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Brian said:
You can get the iPod2car. Its awesome. Probably the best mod I have done on my Prius!...
Where is the aux in on the upgraded audio system (you have a BC, so you have the 6disk changer, yes?) Is it easy to reach to connect the ipod2car?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Where was the link?

I ordered an FM transmitter from a link I got here ($20) - it was an iPod accesory vendor. They use 87.9 (I think that's it), which is a reserved for low power transmission, IIRC. It seems to give me

I had tried the iRock before, and that was HORRID! I did have to max out the volume on my mp3 player, though.

Sorry, can't find the link quick. I'll try to look it up tonight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
iPod in my prius

I have been looking for the ideal ipod adapter my my 2004 prius . I fell that the connector I bought from Brlkin is the best for me. I plugs into the accessory adaptor socket just to the right of the front "hump". It cis dessigned for the Ipod mini which it charges and gives phsyical support .It tunes very well to the FM radio which I have preset. It worked correctly right away and onyl cost $69. On top of all of that it looks Good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ipod to car

I purchased the Neo iPod dock. It plugs into the cd changer port in the back of the stock radio. It charges the iPod and lets you control it using the controls on the steering wheel, dash, and touch screen LCD. It's 200$ with delivery, but is worth it.

To buy...

http://www.carplayer.com

8)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I noticed in my local Best Buy store they now carry the Monster iCruze and the adapter for the Prius (separate of course). They also have an LCD display that is separate to display song title and artist. It disables the the controls on the iPod and like the ipod2car and the neo disables the 6-cd changer (if you have one).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts