Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While awaiting my 2005 new Prius later this month, I stopped in at the Honda dealer to check out the Civic Hybrid. None were in, but the conversation went something like this:

Me: I'm considering a Prius and a Civic Hybrid.

Him: Why would you want a Prius?

Me: Why would I want a Civic Hybrid?

Him: Well, for one thing it holds more. For another, the Prius takes six separate steps just to start it up.

Me: Really? That wasn't my understanding.

Him: Better do your homework before you decide.

Indeed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the same spiel last week at a Honda dealer in Virginia, but he said FIVE separate steps to start the Prius. Must be standard sales line promulagaged throughout the Honda system.

·
Registered
457 Posts
While awaiting my 2005 new Prius later this month, I stopped in at the Honda dealer to check out the Civic Hybrid. None were in, but the conversation went something like this:
Him: Well, for one thing it holds more. For another, the Prius takes six separate steps just to start it up.

Maybe he was starting with getting out of bed in the morning.. :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm counting 6 -
1. Open door
2. Sit down
3. Close door
4. Put coffee in cup holder
5. Buckle seat belt
6. Push Power Button

:D :D :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ummm, hello!!! Any real Prius driver knows it takes 7 whole steps to turn on the car!

I'm counting 6 -
1. Open door
2. Sit down
3. Close door
4. Put coffee in cup holder
5. Buckle seat belt
6. Push Power Button
& Most importantly:

7. Activate Flux Capacitor!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let's compare . . .

Civic
1-Take key fob out of pocket (or purse)
2-Press unlock on key fob
3-Open door
4-Sit down
5-Put key in ignition
6-Turn key to start car

Prius (assuming SKS)
1-Open door
2-Sit down
3-Put foot on brake
4-Press On button

OK, what am I missing?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rich_in_Tampa said:
Him: Well, for one thing it holds more.

Ummm...holds more of what, I wonder? The Honda Civic Hybrid cargo space is only 11.5 cubic feet, the Prius holds 16.5, as is my understanding...is there some hidden chamber in the Honda that I don't know about??

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
paul16451 said:
Rich_in_Tampa said:
Him: Well, for one thing it holds more.

Ummm...holds more of what, I wonder? The Honda Civic Hybrid cargo space is only 11.5 cubic feet, the Prius holds 16.5, as is my understanding...is there some hidden chamber in the Honda that I don't know about??
Yes. While the Prius has a Flux Capacitor, the Civic Hybrid has a Bag of Holding, type III, in the trunk.

My bad experience with a Honda dealer was when looking at a used Insight to replace my other car. (To use as my wife's daily commuter.) They had one on the lot, for about double what it should have sold for. (It was a 2002 with 135,000 miles.) It was 'Honda Certified', but the hood was covered with paint chips, and, indeed, the hood wouldn't even close all the way! The tires were worn too far, the gear shifter handle was falling off, plus a few more minor problems. I had called about it the day before, and just happened to be next to the dealer with time to spare, so I stopped in for a look. (It's the same 'chain' as where I bought both my Prius and my '99 Hyundai Accent, and I was happy with both the Toyota and Hyundai branches.) After mentioning the problems, the 'sales manager' said he'd be sure to have them looked at. But, that combined with the high price steered me away.

Well, the next day, I get a call from the salesman asking if I was still interested. I mentioned the problems again, and the high price. So he says he'll talk with the sales manager (funny, I thought he said he was the sales manager yesterday...) about lowering the price. He comes back on the phone... "Good news, my manager said we can lower the price to xx,yyy." me: "Well, that would be nice if it weren't for the fact that that's the very same price that was on the window sticker yesterday." Click.

I wrote a nasty letter to both Honda America Co, and the dealer chain's headquarters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rich_in_Tampa said:

Indeed...
My last converstion with a Honda saleman:

Me: I'd like to get some 2006 Civic Hybrid brochures.
Him: What car do you drive?

Me: '89 Accord
Him: Nice car.

Me: I'm also looking at the Prius.
Him: Nice car.

Me: Do you have prices on the '06 Civic Hybrids.
Him: No, but if you would like to get on the wait list, you have to put down a $5,000 deposit. (I'm not kidding, that's what he said!)

Me: Goodbye

I guess he didn't get the six separate step memo.

:p

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rich_in_Tampa said:

Indeed...
Man, I wish I was close by so I could go in and call their bluff.

And even Toyota puts out a comparrison list of their cars and the competition and how they are superior, so you can't bad mouth Honda for that. Although I struggle to figure out the 6 steps, that the Honda wouldn't have anyway.

How many steps is "put foot on brake?"

Spike

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I would have pressed the Honda dealer to detail those 6 steps for me. Somebody can only paint themselves in the corner if we actually force them out of the corner before the paint is dry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jeromep said:
I would have pressed the Honda dealer to detail those 6 steps for me. Somebody can only paint themselves in the corner if we actually force them out of the corner before the paint is dry.
At my age I just listen and take mental notes. Easier to hear the signal when you don't add to the noise :? .

I figure that their tactics reflect a true shortage of valid selling points. Unfortunately for him, I did do my homework.

·
Registered
30 Posts
6 steps to selling me a Honda

I got the same six step bs when I went to check out a Civic. They didn't have a hybrid but put me in a sedan which they claim will drive exactly the same. I doubt it, though. The dash and steering wheel are impressive but that was all I really liked about the car. (Oh an the interesting alloys the hybrid gets which look as though they dont cool the brakes properly)

The navigation system is neat untill you need to use the cd player and it slowly opens sideways (bottom to front) to allow you insert a disc or pc card. Great, just what I need, something to brake. The Civic is a nice car, but they could have done a few things different to make it as practical as the Prius. The rear fold down seats are one. And what is with the silly BLUE and BROWN color combination available on the silver and black hybrids. I've said this before, blue and brown DONT go together. (Just like the ivory int doesn't belong in the Seaside Pearl) All in all, impressive car but it ain't a Prius.

Oh and the Dealer I was with was also dogging the horizontal bar on the prius rear. We were leaving the showroom as we had run out of time and the salesman pulled us aside to tell us the reasons the Honda is better than the Toy:
1. Six steps to start (dumb)
2. Roomier (wrong)
3. Better handling (did'nt notice this even though I was driving it like an idiot on a slalom course)
4. Quieter, no wind noise at high speeds (does the wind noise bother you Prius owners?)
5. Nicer looking (True, but not so much nicer that I would give up smart key, 6 cd changer, 9 speaker system (instead of their 6))
6. moonroof available (Uh, hello! Did you notice that it does not tilt when it opens thus producing that highly annoying buffeting noise at speed?)
7. It's a Honda (not really a reason but he DID say it.) :roll:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: 6 steps to selling me a Honda

I got the same six step bs when I went to check out a Civic. They didn't have a hybrid but put me in a sedan which they claim will drive exactly the same. I doubt it, though. The dash and steering wheel are impressive but that was all I really liked about the car. (Oh an the interesting alloys the hybrid gets which look as though they dont cool the brakes properly)

The navigation system is neat untill you need to use the cd player and it slowly opens sideways (bottom to front) to allow you insert a disc or pc card. Great, just what I need, something to brake. The Civic is a nice car, but they could have done a few things different to make it as practical as the Prius. The rear fold down seats are one. And what is with the silly BLUE and BROWN color combination available on the silver and black hybrids. I've said this before, blue and brown DONT go together. (Just like the ivory int doesn't belong in the Seaside Pearl) All in all, impressive car but it ain't a Prius.

Oh and the Dealer I was with was also dogging the horizontal bar on the prius rear. We were leaving the showroom as we had run out of time and the salesman pulled us aside to tell us the reasons the Honda is better than the Toy:
1. Six steps to start (dumb)
2. Roomier (wrong)
3. Better handling (did'nt notice this even though I was driving it like an idiot on a slalom course)
4. Quieter, no wind noise at high speeds (does the wind noise bother you Prius owners?)
5. Nicer looking (True, but not so much nicer that I would give up smart key, 6 cd changer, 9 speaker system (instead of their 6))
6. moonroof available (Uh, hello! Did you notice that it does not tilt when it opens thus producing that highly annoying buffeting noise at speed?)
7. It's a Honda (not really a reason but he DID say it.) :roll:
Really chaps my britches, why do you have to lie to sell the car. It isn't like the Civic is a dog or anything. I can see if you are selling the Cobalt or a Neon, but a Civic?

I would definately say overall, that the Prius is clearly better than the hybrid Civic, but still. Compared to say, when I just bought a mini-van and compared the Odessey and the Sienna -- now those are two very close vehicles. Hardest purchase deciscion I have ever made on a car.

Reminds me of like 8 years or so ago, the wife (then GF) and I were shopping for a new car. We were looking at the Civic and the Corolla. We go to the dealer and we are talking, I let them know up front I am considering the Corolla (which was a bluff, at the time the Corolla was really ugly, well not ugly just incedibly boring looking compared to the Civic). Then he asked how many miles I had on my current Camry, I misunderstood and thought we were talking about my then current Civic. I said 60,000 miles, and he went into this whole speel about how everyone knows the Camry needs a new transmission at 70-75,000 miles. When he finished, I calmly explained I had 238,000 miles on that Camry, and it still had the original transmission. Really ticked me off. You are selling, I get that, but Honda and Toyota really are right there for reliability.
Sadly, I bought the Civic, anyway, like I said the old Corolla was really Ugly at the time, especially for a guy in his 20's.

The cars are different, concentrate on that.

Spike

·
Premium Member
888 Posts

PartyGameGuy said:
And what is with the silly BLUE and BROWN color combination available on the silver and black hybrids. I've said this before, blue and brown DONT go together. (Just like the ivory int doesn't belong in the Seaside Pearl) All in all, impressive car but it ain't a Prius.
Finally! Somebody agrees with me about blue and brown together. Seaside Pearl would have been a great color if it had come with the gray intereior, or better yet, a blue interior. :idea:

Come on Toyota, get your interior colors together! :evil:

And has anyone gotten a detail about these 6 steps?

·
Registered
30 Posts

jeromep said:
Finally! Somebody agrees with me about blue and brown together. Seaside Pearl would have been a great color if it had come with the gray intereior, or better yet, a blue interior. :idea:

Come on Toyota, get your interior colors together! :evil:
At least they corrected this travesty for 2006. Grey is avaialble in all colors except the champagne/gold/blah color

1 - 20 of 20 Posts