Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us who purchased the Prius did so not only to save some money on gasoline but to help protect the environment. In addition to these reasons, you can throw in helping to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. My main reasons are the latter two.
I currently own a 2002 Prius. I have no complaints whatsoever the car is awesome. I see that many of you who currently own a Prius are selling to purchase the new 04 Prius. From an environmental standpoint, I think that is not sound. "The mere purchase of a car (any car, even the Prius) harms the environment because it encourages the manufacturing of more automobiles." UCS The manufacturing of a new car pumps 4 tons of carbon and nearly 700 pounds of other pollutants into the atmosphere. I think it is wiser to contain your enthusiasm and continue driving your current Prius until it can run no more. I too was tempted to sell my 2002 Prius. But not to purchase the 04, instead I was tempted to purchase the soon to be released to the public Honda Compressed Natural Gas Civic. This takes me to my next point.
This country is way too dependent on foreign oil. I don't care what anyone says. Our soldiers are in Iraq right now because of oil. The USA imports a large amount of oil from Saudi Arabia. Remember them? They are the country that produced most of the 9/11 terrorist scumbags. Talk about national security. The Honda CNG Civic runs on Natural Gas. Natural Gas is a plentiful and DOMESTIC resource. As efficient as the Prius is, it is still primarily a gasoline powered vehicle. The Honda Civic CNG is the logical next step until the Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles arrive. They run exclusively on gas which burns much more efficiently than gasoline. Also, the CNG burning process is gentler on the engine parts requiring less engine oil. The Honda CNG Civic is rated as a SULEV and gets about mid 30's MPG (when comparing to the equivalent of a gallon of gasoline). And, natural gas is cheaper than gasoline. What are the drawbacks? The range. Right now the Civic CNG has a real world range of 200 miles between fill ups. Although improvement is inevitable, this would still fill the TYPICAL need for most people. If you are into road trips, this vehicle will not fill your needs. I commute 80 miles round trip per day. This vehicle would certainly fill my needs. Re-fueling. Right now re-fueling stations are few and far between. But that will change in time. Also, there is a home fueling device which will allow you to tap into your home's natural gas supply to re-fuel your vehicle while your sleep. How convenient is that?
Anyway, I have said my peace. I don't mean to stifle anyone's enthusiasm about this great car. I guess I am speaking to those of you who are really into these issues. I await your thoughts..................

·
Registered
111 Posts
upgrading

I concur with your reasons for acquiring your Prius, as they are my reasons also. I differ, though, from your opinion about "upgrading" to the new model. Buying the newer model and having it out where people can see it will help promote the clean technology Trading in the older models will displace other cars that would probably be burning fuel at the old wasteful rate. That being said, I plan to keep mine for the long haul so that I can help provide longitudinal study information, (or gather the information myself).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgrading

I just don't know if displacing a number of unefficient vehicles in favor of the used Prius vehicles will nullify the environmental damage caused by the new vehicle manufacturing process. Maybe over the very long term it might. But I do understand what those who trade in the old Prius for the new Prius are trying to accomplish. Thank You.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Some one will buy the old Prius. So now another person ends up with fuel efficent vehicle. Once the person discovers the superior fuel ecconome. It will convince him of the merits of a hybrid vehicle. It's no sin to trade it in. Besides that means one less gas hog on the road.

As for having natural gas run all our vehicles is not a wise choice. Natural gas is the fuel of choice for heating our homes. Increased demand will push up prices. And yes the U.S does import natural gas from Canada and Mexico. They also liquify it and transport in special tanker ships from over seas. The over seas importing of natural gas is increasing. Because thier is demand to build more docks to accomidate these ships.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If he sells his 2002 Prius to someone with a fuel inefficient car, then he can buy a bycicle or walk and save more polution. :lol:

But I agree with him. People shouldnt buy a new Prius. If they dont buy any then I will get mine in less than 10 months :wink:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I was planning to buy a Hummer. :shock:

Are you saying that I shouldn't have bought a Prius?

<just kidding...I was really going to buy another BMW, and I probably will again if they ever build a hybrid that can get more than 50 MPG...>

·
Registered
425 Posts
BIF said:
I was planning to buy a Hummer. :shock:

Are you saying that I shouldn't have bought a Prius?

<just kidding...I was really going to buy another BMW, and I probably will again if they ever build a hybrid that can get more than 50 MPG...>
Dont hold your breath waiting for BMW. I live just down the road from where they are designed, and a good friend works in the CAD/CAM dept. When I asked about a BMW Hybrid a few months ago, he looked at me as if I was crazy and said he had never heard of any plans.

He also hadnt seen or read about the Prius!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I heard that BMW is not planning on doing gas electric hybrid. However, i heard that they plan on engineering fuel cell reseach so when that becomes popular, they should have the lead. we'll see. I guess it all depends on how long the hybrid trend last.

·
Registered
112 Posts
true.. but if they work on it now and make it work very well for there company ( like toyota leading the hybrid revolution) when they start to be released, they will have a very good product to buy that should be more efficient than any other compeditor.

G

·
0 Posts
Honda Civic Natural Gas Vehicle for Sale, Los Angeles

FYI, Lexus is working on hybrid vehicles. (Responding to some earlier posts.)

FOR SALE: 2000 Honda Civic GX, a natural gas fueled vehicle. I bought it from Budget Rental Cars at LAX a little over a year ago, so it's in great shape--all scheduled servicing has been performed on-time. I'm not commuting anymore, so I don't need it. But it's been great: cut a half hour off my commute each way, but now I work close to home. White exterior with grayish-blueish interior. Gets about 30 miles to the gallon. Holds about 5 gallons. If you own your own home, you can have a gas dispenser installed at your house for a few hundred dollars, then you never have to go to the gas station. $10,000. Let me know if you'd be interested by emailing me at [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts