Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the slight clunk I receive when I accellerate from a stop sign is normal? It feels as though it is from the back end of the car but there isn't anything back there that it could be. Feels like a driveline clunk. No noise other than that, nor does it appear anywhere else - just coming off a stop.

I didn't notice it during the test drive, but now that I own it - and can hear and feel it - I'm curious if this will be one of those "They all do that" dealer remarks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Can't be driveline clunk in the back of a FWD car.

Oddball causes can include:
- rear seatbacks not firmly latched
- loose cup in rear cupholder
- loose spare tire in well under rear cargo floor
- something loose in left rear cubby
- something loose under rear seat

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I have found that if I lift my foot off from the brake very quickly it will "clunk" on the upper travel stop.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you're just accelerating from a stop, it could be the ICE starting. I can feel it if it hasn't had time to warm up, usually in the first 5 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't be driveline clunk in the back of a FWD car.

Oddball causes can include:
- rear seatbacks not firmly latched
- loose cup in rear cupholder
- loose spare tire in well under rear cargo floor
- something loose in left rear cubby
- something loose under rear seat
It does have that "loose spare tire" feel. I may need to look in there and see if something's sliding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked in the spare tire area and the screw holding the jack wasn't very tight at all. I could shake the jack holder and create some clunk noises. Maybe that was the problem along with some tire movement. I put some red grease rags around the area to help cushion the parts and tire. Might come in handy wiping hands too.

I did get a chance to check the air in the spare. It had exactly 60 psi. Only thing it was mounted on a really ugly yellow rim! Black on one side and yellow on the other. Maybe to make it easier to figure out which way it goes in the well?

Anyway, here's to hoping the clunk is gone.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ugly Yellow:

More likely to make you more in a hurry to get your regular tire fixed or replaced, so that you won't be displaying that ugly yellow tire. Also to remind you that you are still driving on a spare, since you can't miss that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts