Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note to those of you who wonder how the Prius handles on hills: I just got back from a vacation to Colorado. Drove over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park (about 11,200 feet) and then up Pike's Peak (14,110 feet).

No problems on grades of 6 to 14%. ICE and inverter/motor ran fine and did not overheat; and battery was low after sustained climbing, but did not completely discharge. Turtle light never came on. Also, electric motors are not affected by altitude, so no loss in power. Also, Prius maintained legal speed limit on sustained climb approaching Eisenhower Tunnel (west of Denver on I-70) from both directions (several miles of 7% grade at 65 mph, at about 10,000 feet).

Mileage in mountains was 62-67 mpg mainly due to speed limits of 35 to 55 mph. Mileage up Pike's Peak was 17 mpg going up and 99.9 coming down. Only complaint is that "B" is not low enough for coming down Pike's Peak 14% grade. Had to ride the brakes. Brakes did not overheat, but would like to have had enough engine braking to avoid using them. Perhaps a "B2" with lower gearing...

This is a great little car (2002). I wish it was paid for so I could get a new 2004.

·
Registered
6 Posts
'New Model'

My Dad would always advise: 'Never buy the first year model of anything'.

Let them work out all of the bugs and have their 'recalls' and then jump on the bandwagon.

My '03 is still working like a charm.... No 'Golden Pearl' on the new Prius, either!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't forget that a first model year from Toyota is still better quality than most of the competition's products AFTER it's been out for a few years. :wink:

The 2001 Prius is certainly proof of that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First Year Bugs

Just a generalization. The 2001 had it's share of problems. You're right, though. Look at any Consumer Reports and you'll see 'red dots' on the foreign car pages and 'black dots' for our Domestic beauties.

·
Registered
111 Posts
something to prove

I am operating under the sincere hope that the 01-03 quality is high because Toyota has something to prove; that being the hybrid technology is a good and viable alternative to the same old-same old. They could not put out junk because people would never get on their bandwagon more than once. I live with this hope... :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: First Year Bugs

MusicCityGoldenPearl'03 said:
Just a generalization. The 2001 had it's share of problems. You're right, though. Look at any Consumer Reports and you'll see 'red dots' on the foreign car pages and 'black dots' for our Domestic beauties.
only 1 recall to date!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would thing that most of the "bugs" were worked out in the previous Prius models and that the 2004 version will just be some improvements with less risk of having "bugs" in them as compared to a brand new car like the first Prius several years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts