Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I have a Highlander Hybrid Focus Group going on at 7:00pm with The Boss.........I need to hear From Owners, Possible Owners, and People that looked at the Highlander Hybrid but Bought something Else!!!!

This is serious and Important to our report to Toyota...........

I Need your input on The HH in numerious aspect like emissions level at SULEV........

Label MPG vs. Actual MPG vs. Highlander gas Model MPG.............

Premium Pricing.............

Lastly, what are your wish list items for a Future Highlander Hybrid?

Also......if you would like............... let me get some feed back about the New Camry Hybrid and what are your likes and Dislikes and Expectations........

Get me this information as fast as possible..........any and all comments related to the Hybrid Operations of Toyota would also be accepted.......

As always you guys and gals are the best!! And, whenever I have needed help you are the ones to provide it!!!!!!!

Thanks and have fun with this.........

Tom Quinn :wink:
Internet Sales
(571) 276-7548

·
Registered
455 Posts
We bought our Prius in 2004, and in the middle of '05 we decided we needed a vehicle with a 3rd row, mostly for when the grandparents visit. It came down to the HH, the Sienna, & the Honda Odessey. The only reason the HH was even considered, was the fact that it was a hybrid. But it was, to us, ugly, and not all that roomy inside. Had the Odessey or Sienna been availible in a hybrid, that alone, would have made the choice (as it was it was a very hard choice).

Frankly I was surprised that the Highlander was the 2nd hybrid vehicle offered by Toyota. I mean the non hybrid one isn't, I don't think, one of their more popular vehicles, right? Why start there?

The label vs. actual mileage doesn't matter to me, I already own a Prius, so my expectations are probly more realistic. Plus the HH wasn't designed for all out efficiency, but added power plus slightly better mileage.

The new Camry hybrid, I haven't driven or even seen yet, so to comment too much is hard. I do like the fact that it is designed more for efficiency, using the 4 cyc instead of the 6. Hopefully people will cross shop it with the 6. My mom is about to buy a new Camry (her 4th in a row), I am going to try to talk her into getting the hybrid version, once I see more specs on it.

I would like a Sienna hybrid version to be out in a few years, when I am ready to trade our current one in. While I would like a 4 cyc version, I believe the market would respond better to a 6 cyc like in the HH, or the RH400H. And advertise it as the extra power when you need it version, to compete with V8 SUVs.

I think Toyota is in a tough spot with the HH. Because of the press that the Prius has generated, has been almost solely focused on mileage. And some (quite a bit actually) of that has been negative in regard to what it actually gets vs. the sticker. I think, Toyota really has to come out with highlighting the HH compared to a V8 version. That yeah, it only gets slightly better mileage than the "regular" V6 version, but it also has gobs more power. It is a win win, more power, less emmissions, better mileage the only dowside is the price.

Spike

·
Registered
304 Posts
Personally I think Toyota lost a lot sales because Toyota valued the V-6 for towing capacity. I've yet to see a Highlander, any Highlander, towing anything. They also insisted on having third row seating. Since I haven't towed anything in almost 30 years and don't really see it in my future, the HH is a little overkill. I would like to see the 2.7L I4 like the Tacoma has and the third row optional and definitely keep a 4x4 in the option box. That way it can keep the towing capacity but have a little better mileage. And advertise the power as well as mileage, like you can have your power and keep your mileage. A great ad shot would be to quip you can have your power, when you need it, with a pull away shot of it being stuck in traffic without the engine running when you don't. In fact you could advertise the Camdy Hybrid like that too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, to me the Highlander comes off more as a tall wagon than a true SUV.

drash, I beleive the Highlander comes standard with a 4, the 6 is optional (with or without the Hybrid option). Or do you mean you can't get the higher trim levels on the 4?

And the Camry Hybrid actually has a 4 cyclinder engine so is set up more for economy than performance boost. Unlike the new evil GS450H, that looks to be a screamer.

Spike

·
Registered
85 Posts
After I first Got my Prius. My wife wanted to get a new car. We looked at the Highlander for several reasons 1) Hybrid 2) SUV/Rides higher (she is small and likes the comfort of driving in a bigger car) 3) Toyota a being dependable car. We went to the dealer that I bought my Car as they happened to have a limited 4x4. Test Drove the car, sat in it for a while (so I could play with the gagets and compare against my car). We really liked it, but as we got further into the process the price really bothered me. This HyHi was a fully loaded top of the line model, but after taxes, Dealer Mark-up ($4000.00), we would have to drop around $45,000.00.

Basically we decided against it, because I had a hard time buying a 45k Toyota, especially since the gas mileage is not that much better than a regular Highlander and the Carpool lane Law was not applicable (we both work in Downtown LA).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Spike said:
Yeah, to me the Highlander comes off more as a tall wagon than a true SUV.

drash, I beleive the Highlander comes standard with a 4, the 6 is optional (with or without the Hybrid option). Or do you mean you can't get the higher trim levels on the 4?
I mean for the Highlander Hybrid you can't get the 4 at all. They should put a truck 4 and not the car 4 in it. The Tundra I can understand putting the V6 with the HSD as it might actually haul something other than people. I wouldn't mind a 4 banger with the HSD and a 4 x 4 or AWD option for winter. Not that I have problems with the Prius, I don't. :wink:

Spike said:
And the Camry Hybrid actually has a 4 cyclinder engine so is set up more for economy than performance boost. Unlike the new evil GS450H, that looks to be a screamer.

Spike
:lol: Yeah evil screamer. Actually aren't they marketing the Camry Hybrid as a 4 with the power of a 6?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.