Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, Road and Track (er...or was it Car and Driver? I always get them mixed up!) has an article about people prying open hoods, busting headlight casings, and whatnot just so they can steal the HID headlights!

As I recall, it's a major problem in NYC and New Jersey. They appear to be targeting cars that have the HIDs as standard equipment.

Just thought you'd like to know.

<I'll just sit back and let somebody else start the "Law and Order" part of this thread :) >

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is a very scary thought.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. The cops think they're being sold on EBAY...but you have the whole "out of jurisdiction" thing...

·
Registered
70 Posts
eBay Will Cooperate

If you have some way to identify a particular set of headlights as being stolen, eBay will turn over everything they have about the seller to any law enforcement agency. You don't need warrants, letterhead will do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont think you have to worry about getting your HID stolen in Prius. I am not 100% sure but for IS300, you have to take off your bumper in order to take out your HID kit. I've seen Altima, Maxima, and TLs getting their HID stolen many of times but none of IS300s. I think it's the same for the Prius.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts